• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

25 Creedmoor

My cousin and I took another elk yesterday morning, ended up using my 25 creedmoor. I dont like shooting mature cows after they get “with child”, cause it means killing a cow, and next years calf. So we shoot this years calf whenever we can. 325 yards, with the Blackjack Ace 131 grain.
8wmbkl.jpg

2rq0vhg.jpg

b66hi8.jpg

I'd just like to see some results with existing 115 - 120 bullets already on the market with the faster twist. I considered building a .25 Souper (25-08) for years but this seems much easier to complete.

I have plans for that once I get mine put together. 110gr Hornady ELD-X, 115gr Berger Classic Hunter, just for the fun of it. Preliminary numbers indicate they should be able to match 6.5 Creed in trajectory and drift.

They'll be out of a 25x47 Lapua, 1-7" twist

The Ace will do everything a "controlled expansion super duper hyper killer hunting bullet" does. The same as beger hybrids, eldm's, amax's, match burners, etc. All have been hell on critters.

I hopped on the 25 creed bandwagon on day one. Their .330 bc is very conservative. I had to run a .350 for everything to line up to 800 and hearing I'll probably have to bump it to .355 for everything to line up past 1300

Reactions: nrspence
I hopped on the 25 creed bandwagon on day one. Their .330 bc is very conservative. I had to run a .350 for everything to line up to 800 and hearing I'll probably have to bump it to .355 for everything to line up past 1300

Tell us about your build!

Cartridge, barrel brand, length, twist, velocity, and most importantly accuracy.

Thanks

26" 25 creed 7 twist xcaliber blank on bighorn origin action in a manners t2a
Velocity at 2954 with sd of 3 using unsorted 6 creed starline brass necked up to 25

Mind sharing the load? I just received my Dad’s 25 creed and am curious on: charge weight, bullet jump, neck tension. Thanks

Most “hunting” bullets have lower BC then match bullets.

Yes, but look at Berger's 7mm 195/.755-G1BC and their .277 cal, 270 grain/.662G1BC. Both higher BC than their target bullets of the same calibers.

Blackjack could add some weight and put on those non melty plastic tips to increase BC, .7BC??? Rubbing hands together...

Thanks, I saw the pictures and saw they all seemed to pass through and definitely did the job. I think I'm like a lot of people and am still split on what defines good terminal performance on game, weight retention and the ability to penetrate deeply / pass through, or fragmenting and depositing all the energy in the animal.

Reactions: MarkLeupold
Thanks, I saw the pictures and saw they all seemed to pass through and definitely did the job. I think I'm like a lot of people and am still split on what defines good terminal performance on game, weight retention and the ability to penetrate deeply / pass through, or fragmenting and depositing all the energy in the animal.
Here are my thoughts on the subject, its a little long winded and full of opinions, but take it for what it cost?

Shot placement vs. Bullets

Anybody using these in a 25-06?

I need to rebarrel my 25, and I can't justify changing calibers since I have about 500 pieces of virgin brass, about 1000 that still have plenty of life left, and an annealer to make it last that much longer.

However, I am thinking the new barrel needs to be a 1-7 twist. I only really shoot 115 partitions and ballistic tips now.

I would like to see a bonded bullet for hunting, as I've shoulder punched deer for a quick stop with partitions and they performed perfectly. I normally go for the lungs, and have had match bullets perform just fine there, but a bonded core just gives me a bit of piece of mind.

I need to rebarrel my 25, and I can't justify changing calibers since I have about 500 pieces of virgin brass, about 1000 that still have plenty of life left, and an annealer to make it last that much longer.

However, I am thinking the new barrel needs to be a 1-7 twist. I only really shoot 115 partitions and ballistic tips now.

I would like to see a bonded bullet for hunting, as I've shoulder punched deer for a quick stop with partitions and they performed perfectly. I normally go for the lungs, and have had match bullets perform just fine there, but a bonded core just gives me a bit of piece of mind.

Blackjack Bullets posts trial loads occasionally with their FB page.
Recently did 25-06 with RL26 and Retumbo.

Anyone know anybody doing 25x47L prefits or reamer rentals? I got 400 pieces of 6.5x47 brass I’d hate to toss when I barrel swap.

We just tested our 25-06 Blackjack set up to run the 131 ACE's as stated above. Rem 700 LA, 1:7" Xcaliber 25" st. palma barrel, Magpul 700 stock, Jewell trigger.

Using Lapua 30-06 brass necked down with a .284 bushing and CCI BR4 primers. This testing was done with NO barrel break in so these were the first rounds down the barrel. I expect the velocities to shift upward 40-60 fps after 150-200 rounds.

RL26 54.8g = 3137fps (was the last charge shot before any pressure signs)
We ran it up to 56g netting 3225 fps but pressure was high.

Retumbo 58.9g = 3208 fps (was the last charge shot before any pressure signs)
We ran it up to 59.8g 3280fps but again, it was a very hot load.

Lots of guys shooting them in the 06. I believe they can get away with an 8 twist too.

For 2019, Remington has a limited edition model 700 CDL SF in 25-06 with a 1:8 twist. So they seem to think that 1:8 will capture the interest of those people looking to shoot heavy bullets in the 25 bore.

Reactions: coldboremiracle
Anyone know anybody doing 25x47L prefits or reamer rentals? I got 400 pieces of 6.5x47 brass I’d hate to toss when I barrel swap.

Greg Young at Southern Precision Rifles is doing mine. Went half on a reamer with him. He'll have it when the next shipment of BlackJack reamers goes out, which should be very soon.

Reactions: Bear24 and Temper
If anyone is looking for a 25 Creed reamer I have one, if you don’t have a particular gun Smith in mind it will be at Southern Indiana Precision. Isaac Frank is a heck of a guy, good shooter, and even better gun smith. Should have my barreled action back in the next week or so. Feb. 10 will be 6 months(quoted lead time) since I ordered my McMillan, so it should all come together here very soon! Super Pumped!!

Reactions: Bear24
I was actually just curious what they would change from the Blackjack to make it a hunting bullet. I view the match bullet companies that make "hunting" versions of their same VLDs by using "thinner" J4 jackets a little bit of a sham. If I wanted a match bullet with a core that isn't bonded to the jacket to shoot an animal with, I'll just shoot the match bullet.
The box they come in and the price would increase. Nothing else.

Blackjack just told my smith the 25 creedmoor reamer he ordered last week is still a few weeks out... dang the luck, the demand must be high.

And you think this because...?
I’m picking more than anything. Factory hunting ammunition usually sells at a premium. If the bullet in question is performing then why pay more for a “hunting bullet”. That’s my point.

Some target bullets perform as good as hunting bullets. I have a thread in the hunting section telling about my January hunt. I took several deer from close in to 365yds. All clean pass through with factory 147gr eld-m out of a 6.5 creedmoor. The wounds look identical to any produced by ,y .270 win and 130gr powershock. Not explosive damage at all. Looks like the round expanded like a cup and core. Perfect.

Some target bullets like hornady’s 140gr bthp do not perform well and I would never use them again.

I’m picking more than anything. Factory hunting ammunition usually sells at a premium. If the bullet in question is performing then why pay more for a “hunting bullet”. That’s my point.

Some target bullets perform as good as hunting bullets. I have a thread in the hunting section telling about my January hunt. I took several deer from close in to 365yds. All clean pass through with factory 147gr eld-m out of a 6.5 creedmoor. The wounds look identical to any produced by ,y .270 win and 130gr powershock. Not explosive damage at all. Looks like the round expanded like a cup and core. Perfect.

Some target bullets like hornady’s 140gr bthp do not perform well and I would never use them again.

Ah, I’m tracking now. Sorry for getting defensive, that was my misunderstanding lol.

I have spoke to both Logan and Miles and they are awesome people to talk to and deal with. Just 2 guys working hard and chasing their passion on top of working full time jobs. The .257 stuff won’t sound attractive to some and that is totally understandable. I just hate seeing good people get pooped on for for doing what makes them happy.

That wasn’t what you were doing, so apologies again!

Reactions: Bear24
And you think this because...?
No comment on the actual changes, but manufacturers tend to lean on hunter's ethics. Most hunters consider what they do to be very important, and the shots they take to be critical. Therefore they are willing to pay a premium to use a bullet that is better (whether it is, or simply percived to be so), they price them accordingly, and many pay it.

coldbore what are you guessing as far as barrel life on your 25 I can’t decide if I want to build one or a 7-08

coldbore what are you guessing as far as barrel life on your 25 I can’t decide if I want to build one or a 7-08

If barrel life is your deciding factor, 7mm-08 is gonna win. I haven't heard of anyone shooting out a 25 Creed barrel yet and you get attacked here if you throw out a speculative number, so it'll probably be more than a 6 Creed and less than a 6.5 Creed.

I figured coldbore was getting close to a new barrel, I know it will be better than a 6 and a little less than a 6.5. I don’t want a guess I was wanting hard data I guess it will be a little while, I am not in that big of hurry

I think PVA will do a savage/remage prefit or a barrel for Nucleus, bighorn, mausingfield, rpr

Yea, Josh's PTG reamer was fucked up so he sent it back. I'm a PVA shooter and didnt know he had even gotten the original reamer yet since we havent talked about the .25 in months. As soon as he gets the new one, I'm getting one cut.