• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.25 Pronghorn

YetiSlayer

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon
Does anyone have any experience with this caliber? I would like to have one built for me on a Winchester model 70 classic action. I have always been a fan of the quarter bores and have several WSM's and like the performance out of a short action cartridge. Would mainly be interested in using it a hunting rifle but would like it to be accurate. What would it cost to have done with a supplied action? Who would you recommend to do the work? For those of you that have done this, where did you get your dies? How much were your dies? What kind of accuracy are you experiencing? Any other relevant information would be appreciated.

Re: .25 Pronghorn

I have one built on a Howa 1500SA. It is a hunting rifle with a 25" fluted #4 Hart barrel and a B & C Medalist (Weatherby sub-MOA) stock. I use Redding dies (~$100 I think) and they are a off-the-shelf die set, not custom. I use Rem 270WSM brass and turn the necks just enough to clean them up.

Easily shoots 1/2 moa @ 200yds with 110 Nosler Accubonds @ ~3450fps. Tried some 100 Barnes TTSX and they shot pretty well too. Killed several whitetails and all dropped like rocks. Recovered 1 bullet from a 297yd quartering shot and it weighed 93r.

Re: .25 Pronghorn

I built a M70 ( post 64 controlled round short action) in 250-3000 Ackley. I'm getting 3200fps with the 100g Hornady Interlock. Many antelope and one cow elk to its credit. There is really no case forming involved other than the initial fire forming. Accuracy is outstanding even in my fancy wood stocked sporter config. Sierra claims to use this cartridge to test all .25 cal bullets. I've been shooting this for about 8 years and it is a pleasure from all vantage points...accurate, no recoil to speak of, kills like a lightning bolt