• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

25 yards isn't far enough.

Wally Pinkerton

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2014
With the weather here in Montana I decided to shoot some 22 at the range (indoor). Are these groups a good start for a beginner into the long range 22 world?

CCI subsonic and CCI green tag 10 shot groups.

At 25 yds use a dot the same size as your bullet and only one rd per dot. That will give you a idea of where to adjust, and your ability. Most of the time if the target POA is large, your groups will be as well. Shooting out your aiming point, will enlarge your group size.

Roger that. Maybe I'll go back to the range. It doesn't look like the weather is gonna be in my favor.

Brono's and Champions choice are some of the places I've bought mine.

SK standard and SK match are the same ammo.

Eley ammo is pretty good too.

If 25 yards isn't far enough, stop using the dot drills and use the ISU Small bore targets. Use the A36 50 ft target. They are designed for one round per bull. The 10 ring is smaller then a pin head. See if you can clean the target. If you can do it in prone, then try it sitting, when you can clean it try kneeling then standing.

You're not gonna do it with Ruger 10-22s, CZs 'n such, nor will you do it with off the shelf ammo.

I use to shoot International rifle, when I'd start getting "cocky" I'd enter a match with college kids, they will take the wind out of your sales.

+1 on college kids making you humble! My brother in law's dad is the coach for the UW Oshkosh rifle team and when I step downstairs to shoot with his team I always walk away a notch or 2 lower than when I walked in...

Indoor 25 yards isn't far enough?

Outside...

100 yards...

Open sights...

That should put the challenge back in your shooting.

Any shooting is better than no shooting. Don't get all hung up on the group size. Indoors is the place to reinforce old skills and do away with bad habits. Get your NPA, sight picture, breathing, timing and trigger control down. You will one hole those soon enought. I think, if shooting from a sling, scopes actually magnify your mistakes. But back in "the day", it was proven to me that you can screw up big time with a front rest and a scope. So all the principals still apply. You don't need a leather coat, sling and 100 yards w/irons to challenge you. My eyesight is shot. That, and and a serious neck injury stopped the SB and Highpower shooting for me. For now, F Class and Precision Rimfire is a great challenge, but I still shoot indoors, 25 yards, and try to get the smallest groups I can. Have fun, enjoy, the weather is changing!