• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

257 weatherby

superglide

Private
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2011
fiddlers green
hi im new here and hopeing to pick up some pointers.
im interested in building a 257 weatherby on a savage action,any input is appriciated.
thanks

Re: 257 weatherby

Well for what are you planning on using the rifle for. I don't believe the Bullet selection is very good for .257 as far as BC goes. I could be totally wrong with that though. A .257 Wby is going to be a barrel burner for sure as I am pretty sure it is a .270 Wby necked down and the .270 Wby is already a little over bore in my opinion.

I think it would be okay for certain hunting applications if it is the caliber you want. But the thing is it is a fairly uncommon enough caliber that it is going to be expensive. I personally think that there are better choices.

I see. Well I made a little error in what I said. the .257 is 6.5 mm right? In which case there are good bullets for that. I don't know what caliber I was thinking of that has a crappy selection. Maybe it was .270. Anyway I would just go with something more common and if Lapua makes brass for it that is another plus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Felderthewelder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see. Well I made a little error in what I said. the .257 is 6.5 mm right? In which case there are good bullets for that. I don't know what caliber I was thinking of that has a crappy selection. Maybe it was .270. Anyway I would just go with something more common and if Lapua makes brass for it that is another plus.</div></div>

Your original assessment was correct. It is a .257 caliber and a serious barrel burner. Definitely not the best choice for LR shooting.

If the OP wants a very fast, flat shooting round, the 6.5x284 would probably be his best bet. Better yet, do a straight .284. Plenty of power/velocity and easier on barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Felderthewelder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Well I made a little error in what I said. the .257 is 6.5 mm right? </div></div>

No, the .257 Weatherby is indeed a 25 cal. The family of 6.5s are .264. The Weatherby is a great hunting round, great speed and very flat, and capable of some long range destruction. However, wouldn't make a good target rifle at all. Very short barrel life being the deal breaker as well as cost of components. There are many better choices out there, spend some time reading here on the hide and you're sure to find all the info you would need.

Look @ 25-284 if you want a screaming 25 that you can find parent brass for.Standard 284 aint bad for killing stuff though.
Is this a "Killin stuff" rifle or a "shootin a lot" rifle? Suggestions and advice can take different directions between the two

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Engine22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Felderthewelder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Well I made a little error in what I said. the .257 is 6.5 mm right? </div></div>

No, the .257 Weatherby is indeed a 25 cal. The family of 6.5s are .264. The Weatherby is a great hunting round, great speed and very flat, and capable of some long range destruction. However, wouldn't make a good target rifle at all. Very short barrel life being the deal breaker as well as cost of components. There are many better choices out there, spend some time reading here on the hide and you're sure to find all the info you would need. </div></div>

I see. I am not too familiar as much as i should be about that range of bullet diameters

25-06AI. My dear ol' dad is getting 3350+ with 115 VLDs and no pressure signs. Its a lazier on steroids actually

the 257 was Roy's favorite round, or thats what ive read over and over again. I got the 257Bob, 257 Rem, and the 257 Roy and each is alittle better than the last for hunting but for target or volume shooting there are better option. Hunting with a 110 gr accubond, 100 gr barnes, or even the 115 VLD's and u got urself all you need for most game in NA. Elk cant shrug off good hits from any of these rounds, seen it and done it.

The first custom rifle I ever purchased was a 257 Weatherby.

IMO it is not a good choice for a target rifle. Barrel life, brass life, and component cost is a huge negative for the cartridge.

For a killing rifle it is tough to beat. Four 300 plus pound Saskatchewan whitetails fell to my 257. All shoulder shots and not one bullet was ever recovered. A 120 grain Nosler Partition at 3400 fps kills cleanly on all game. It does have the wow factor when it hits a animal!

257 Weatherby brass can be formed from new 264 Win Mag or 7mm Rem Mag brass with just a pass through the 257 Wby sizing die. Neck length will be a little short and the necks may have to be turned depending on your chamber but it is a much cheaper alternative than 257 Wby brass. That is how I make my brass for my Accumark and it shoots 3/4" at 100 yds with 110 gr Accubonds. Just some food for thought.