• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

26 nosler-correct case wrong bullet

sakobob

OAF in training
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2012
ohio
thinking out loud here,it has the same case head dimensions as a belted mag,very similar length also.
i'm think necking it up to 7mm and 308 would be a winner. my thoughts why
1- no belt
2-more case capacity then the win mag
3-will fit a standard magnum action and bolt face
4-would probably feed from a AI mag
5-should have little brass growth
6-could possibly run the 230 berger's at rum velocities
7-may be push the shoulder back a little and keep the 230's and 240's in the sweet spot in the brass,
not familiar with the 7mm bullets, but it should help them too.
8-keep the pressure down and still have win mag speed but better barrel life?
i've had this idea for a year or so now and thought of using rum brass but it was going to be a lot of work
for a small gain, but nun the less it's a gain.
yes i understand that it's only x amount better then whats out there but i truly think i has definite advantages.
and among other things i want a round to my name:)
begin hating below. . .

You've pretty much described the 30-375R wildcat and the 7mmLRM although I don't know the exact case dimensions for the 26N .

But yes, using the 26N case for a 7mm wildcat would be a easy one step neck up and is a good sized case for 7mm too.

I've got 1600 rounds through my 30-375R and it still shoots good enough to win a long range match.

I've got 1600 rounds through my 30-375R and it still shoots good enough to win a long range match.

Ahem.....just a thought from the peanut gallery from a wannabe, it has a LOT more to do with the injun than the arrow....altho some cartridges may be more inherently accurate than others. I believe this gentleman could win with just about any caliber within reason,

and to those offended by the arrow/indian comment...get a life!!!
:eek:

Should be a flamethrower...and barrel life...hmmmm Was it at the Shot show?

http://www.nosler.com/news-and-articles/2013/11/22/the-26-nosler

Last edited:
You've pretty much described the 30-375R wildcat and the 7mmLRM although I don't know the exact case dimensions for the 26N .

But yes, using the 26N case for a 7mm wildcat would be a easy one step neck up and is a good sized case for 7mm too.

yes the 30/375 is pretty close to what i want but the neck is a little short, or no?
and is it a .532 case head? what kind of speed you getting with the heavies?
also not knowing all the 26 nosler case dimensions the 30-375 may actually be a better choice,
but if its based off the RUM cartridge there should be a few more grains available.the body of the rum
is about another .015-.018 bigger all the way up, again not much more but it's more.

Last edited:
Hey DIBBS, thanks for the kind words man!

yes the 30/375 is pretty close to what i want but the neck is a little short, or no?
and is it a .532 case head? what kind of speed you getting with the heavies?

With my reamer the neck is pushed back a little and I've got a 35 degree shoulder. But yes it's fits a standard magnum bolt face.

2940 fps with 230's and 78 grains of Retumbo in a 9 twist 30" barrel. This is mag fed out of AI 300wm mags.

Old pics with 240 SMK's.

Hey DIBBS, thanks for the kind words man!

With my reamer the neck is pushed back a little and I've got a 35 degree shoulder. But yes it's fits a standard magnum bolt face.

2940 fps with 230's and 78 grains of Retumbo in a 9 twist 30" barrel. This is mag fed out of AI 300wm mags.

Old pics with 240 SMK's.

very nice, that is what i have in mind and i like what you did with the shoulder.do you have the reamer specs? would like to see them
if possible, thanks

until we can see a actual full reamer print( hint hint :) ) we don't know for sure,but it is shorter then a 7mm rum.
i hope it is based on the rum, more case capacity.

The cartridge you describe was almost exactly what I was looking for. I ended up going with 7LRM

From another forum

Attachments

• 26Nosler-a_zps5861b79b.jpg
    26Nosler-a_zps5861b79b.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 24
The first thing I asked at the Nosler booth was "You making a 7?"

Interesting, there seems to be two very distinct groups, and different opinions, when it comes to the 6mm & 6.5mm versus the 7mm.

If you look at shooters such as the ones in the PRS, they are moving away from the 7mm, and are going to the 6mm & 6.5mm rounds.

If you look at shooters such as the ones shooting 1,000 yard Benchrest or F-Class, they are moving away from the 6mm & 6.5mm, and are going to the 7mm.

Hunting seems to be an area where there is still a lot of back and forth, many singing the praises of 6.5mm, and others still swearing by the 7mm.

Application rules, but there still seems to be some toss up as to which is going to come out on top for a given application?

Sure it will be only a matter of time before someone tweaks this into an "Improved" 7mm version.

Last edited:
From another forum

thanks for the print,my google-fu has been weak i couldn't find that sob anywhere.thanks
i sure appears to be based off a RUM case, now all we need is some brass to start necking up!

26 nosler-correct case wrong bullet

How hard would it be to neck up to 30 caliber? I've never necked up brass only down.

The neck of the 26 Nosler is not longer than the 375 Ruger, from the print above the neck of the 26 N would max out at approx 0.27 " and about 0.30" for the 375 Ruger. Necking down the 375 R would increase the length of the neck. Shoulder diameter of the 26 N is greater by about 0.010" and the shoulder of the 26 N is 35° vs. 30° for the Ruger.

Long Story Short: The 26 N will have a little more capacity than a 375 R necked down to 6.5 with a slight loss in neck length, neither are probably significant. The big difference is probably that Nosler brass is usually better than Ruger.

My opinion only,

thanks for the input guys.
so over all it's not a pipe dream(pun intended) and there could a future for it in a 7mm or .30, just have to a reamer and brass
and will see what happens.
for you guy's that have opened up necks, what are possible problems do you foresee this causing going up to a .308 bullet,
thin necks,splitting? my only wildcat adventure was firing a 308 in a 300saum. . . OPPS! i'll have to post a picture of that piece
of brass some day.

Opening up the neck is as easy as running a mandrel through the neck. I prefer to step up the size slowly using a couple different mandrels and putting lubricant inside the necks. I have never done this with Nosler brass so I can't comment on thickness or hardness. I've never had an issue using Lapua or Norma brass when going from 6.5mm to 7mm. Seems like it could do well as a 7mm. Particularly if the Berger 195 ever comes out, or maybe with some of the other custom heavies.

Last edited: