• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.260 accuracy beyond 1k

Re: .260 accuracy beyond 1k

at 42.8gr h4350, i was at 2933, i backed it down to 42.5 for accuracy... havent recronoed, but i guess its 2880 ish..

shot a 1000 yard comp with it,

after shooting .308 for a while at 1k I have a lot of respect for the .260.

It was literally effortless to keep the thing in the black with 10-20 mph alternating winds.

shooting the Lapua 139 scenars at 2880ish with a G1 BC of .557 according to Mr. Litz there is almost no comparison to say the M118 LR load used by most military snipers going roughly 25-2650 fps and a BC of .475 also according to Mr. Litz

Let me also put it this way. With the speeds and BC's this thing runs a little behind a 300WM which drops off around a mile for realistic hits for most shooters. Add better recoil management as well.

You are gonna need some good glass to spot your impacts beyond 1k regardless, a little bullet slowing down into subsonic speeds doesn't make it any easier

you won't be sorry you if you got one. and a 120-140ish grain bullet with 42-44gr of H4350 is all you need to know for reloading it.

Are you guys shooting the .260 with a suppressor ? Just wondering if it adds anything to say a 28"+ barrel shooting a comparatively soft hitting caliber ? Does it add/reduce MV or accuracy ? Just trying to decide it if makes sense to get one or not, that's all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJ.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you guys shooting the .260 with a suppressor ? Just wondering if it adds anything to say a 28"+ barrel shooting a comparatively soft hitting caliber ? Does it add/reduce MV or accuracy ? Just trying to decide it if makes sense to get one or not, that's all. </div></div>

my can is on order.. a YHM Ti QD... ATF should clear by july or aug.

17 inch(one went little left) 5 shot group at 1,000 (7 and 1/2 inch 4 shot group) and the wind was coming from 3 different directions.
photobucket-4728-1335047819015.jpg

photobucket-2120-1333221858199.jpg

and a shameless pic in the ruff....
photobucket-3685-1332197201949.jpg

You must not know too much about the round then because the 6.5x55 which is a ballistic twin has killed more moose in the sweden than any other caliber. It is also one of the top calibers used in europe on stag.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally wouldn't take a 260 hunting except for Varmint (coyotes, ect) and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">maybe</span></span> deer at most</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnhntr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You must not know too much about the round then because the 6.5x55 which is a ballistic twin has killed more moose in the sweden than any other caliber. It is also one of the top calibers used in europe on stag.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally wouldn't take a 260 hunting except for Varmint (coyotes, ect) and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">maybe</span></span> deer at most</div></div> </div></div>

With regards to hunting, I think the key to the 6.5's effectivness has to do with their sectional density. Here's a good article.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/6-5mm_rifle_cartridges.htm

Glad to see many are pushing the limits of the 260. I just got done loading up some 140 a-max to take to the range this weekend.

This is an excellent way of thinking I believe. Different tools for different jobs.

Excellent thread btw. Very nice to get many points of views on the .260 and also the 6.5mm, 7mm, .300 and assorted variants. I think at the end of the day, it's all about picking the right tool for the job… And there are many answers here to that very query.

I have to save up for my .260 as I keep getting sidetracked on other projects, but I think that it will be my next purchase.

After that… well, we shall see. I really have to stop feeding my 1911 addiction.

this past sunday, in the rain with 5-7 MPH wind, on a half USPSA steel sihlouette at 1250 yds got 5 hits in a row with a 142 SMK going 2855 out of a bencmark 1-8 twist 24 inch.
first time past shooting 100 yds, it was awesome.

I would like to that all of you for posting about this. The time, effort and data is priceless. All my parts have came in for my 260AI and with this thread it has just fueled the fire.

Thanks