• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.260 Rem AR 24" barrel, what's the consensus on lighter vs heavier bullets?

bhart89

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2009
LA
.260 Rem AR 24" barrel, what's the consensus on lighter vs heavier bullets?

Is there a general consensus that gas .260's work better with lighter (say 120-123 gr) bullets than heavier (139-142 gr)?

I know that the heavier bullets have a slightly higher BC bit wasn't sure if the gas vs bolt action was something to consider also.

I would try them both and see what the gun likes. An issue with the heavies is that they can be a bit long and may be tough to fit in some magazines. Seating them short can kill your case capacity and limit you on a gasser vs a bolt rifle. It can be tough to find a lot of the heavies now too.

I suppose it is just going to depend on what you are wanting to do. Both classes of bullets have performed well for me.

I have 4 Swedish Mausers with 7.5" twists, but my (2) 260s are 10" and 9" twist and no good for 140 gr.
I have an 8" twist barrel on order, should be here in 10 more weeks.

So up to now, 129 gr is as big as I have shot 260.

I've been loading for my son's Savage bolt gun and it likes heavies, but not all of them. It loves Lapua 139 Scener but hates the Berger 140 VLDs. I'm a fan of the heavies because our match shoots out to 1400 yards and you need the highest BC you can get but if you're not shooting a 1000 yards then lighter bullets would be fine. I'm not sure what powders work well in a auto but with Varget you have plenty of case capacity so setting bullets back a little farther so they'll fit in your magazine should be no problem.

your barrel twist and max length will tell you a lot... I'm guessing you will need to shoot 120gr-130 gr bullets... With the 260 remington the standard chamber is made for those bullets... many people shoot the heavier 140's... some do ok... but the correct chamber for 139,140,142 gr bullets is called a 260 tactical chamber. it has a slightly longer throat to seat these bullets correctly.. I have one so I've been through this all..

also with the short barrel you will be better off to shoot the lighter bullets as well... I have a 28 inch barrel in 260 tac to drive the 140gr...