• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

260 rem gas gun velocity

lte82

Shooter
Minuteman
  • Mar 12, 2013
    I have an accuracy node in my 260 rem using 123 smks & 43gr h414 that puts me around 2800 fps. This is out of a 24" barreled gas gun. When I get much over 43gr my accuracy drops off in a hurry and I hit pressure signs before I find another node.

Does that velocity sound about right? Also has anyone made the 140 amax fly accurately out of a gas gun? Ive heard that sticking with the 120 class bullets is the only way to go with the auto-loaders but Ive never actually tried the 140s to say either way. Anyone out there with experience on that subject?

i run 142s at 2720 or so from my DPMS running H4350 mellow load. i tried Corbon 123s - they were up at 2900 but not great groups

i run 142s at 2720 or so from my DPMS running H4350 mellow load. i tried Corbon 123s - they were up at 2900 but not great groups

Hodgdons lists 44.5gr as max load. Are you running near that?

On my 260 gas gun, I found two accuracy nodes with 140 gr. Amaxes, one at 39.5 gr. of H4350, velocity was around 2600-2650(can't remember exact velocity), but super accurate. The second node is at 42.3 gr. of H4350, running 2720, and is almost as accurate. At first I was concerned that I was not getting the velocity others were getting, but "settled" on accuracy.

When I tweaked my load to try to get a little better speed out of it, I found the second node, I "realized" I was not going to be able to get the velocity the bolt guys were getting, so be happy with good accuracy and decent velocity. At 39.5 grs., the rifle was a breeze to shoot. Recoil was almost non-existent. Even at 42.3 grs. the rifle is tame. I've shot out to 1080 yards with the light loads, so I have no room to complain, just takes a bit more elevation to get there.

BTW, an adjustable gas block is an absolute must for a gasser (IHO).

Last edited: