• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report 260 Remington help needed

sniperaviator

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2010
Colorado
A few questions on 260 Remington:
1. What bullet bucks the wind the best?
2. What powder makes this bullet go the fastest
3. How long will the OAL be on this bullet?

I am starting to build a 260 and need a load to give my gunsmith so he can throat the barrel corretly for MY load.

Re: 260 Remington help needed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A few questions on 260 Remington:
1. What bullet bucks the wind the best?<span style="color: #FF0000">Kinda depends on what load your gun likes... but if you plan on the 140gr range probably the JLK 140, Berger 140vld, Sierra 142, and slightly lower BC but a great bullet the 139Scenar, etc.</span>
2. What powder makes this bullet go the fastest? <span style="color: #FF0000">Most shoot H4350, many use 4831sc, RL15, etc.</span>
3. How long will the OAL be on this bullet? <span style="color: #FF0000">Kinda depends on what bullet you want to shoot. JLK and Berger are loooong bullets and will require longer COAL to get to lands than 142smk's or 139Scenars. So choose your bullet or bullets you wish to play with first.</span>

I am starting to build a 260 and need a load to give my gunsmith so he can throat the barrel corretly for MY load. <span style="color: #FF0000">Don't over think it though, just have him use a standard reamer and run the 139s or 142s and you will be perfectly happy when they fit in a mag.</span></div></div>

139 Sceanr
H4350 about 42.5 grains
my COAL to lands is 2.830
26" Krieger
about 2850
That is all you need

Ditto on everything above,

I have run both the 139 Scenar and 142 SMK using H4350 with very good luck (0.50-0.75 MOA) as long as I do my part.

My Krieger Barrel was chambered using a SAMI Reamer, and I have no problems running the 139 Scenar and 142 SMK at 2.800 COL.

I am really looking at the JLK Bullets because they have the best BC, however I would have to run them at beyond mag length for optimal performace, so I would only use them in limited applications where running out of a mag / time are not an issue.

If you have the option, you probably could have the throat shortened a little, but IMHO you should still be able to get real good performance out of a SAMI Spec setup.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

As it relates specifically to your velocity question, my experiments with RL-17 are showing 75-100 fps more velocity over H-4350 out of a 24" GAP bolt gun. Initial signs of accuracy are good relative to the H-4350 loads which are excellent...but I still have some work to do on testing consistancy at longer distances with RL-17.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D Baker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As it relates specifically to your velocity question, my experiments with RL-17 are showing 75-100 fps more velocity over H-4350 out of a 24" GAP bolt gun. Initial signs of accuracy are good relative to the H-4350 loads which are excellent...but I still have some work to do on testing consistancy at longer distances with RL-17. </div></div>
What velocity are you getting with the R17 powder? Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D Baker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As it relates specifically to your velocity question, my experiments with RL-17 are showing 75-100 fps more velocity over H-4350 out of a 24" GAP bolt gun. Initial signs of accuracy are good relative to the H-4350 loads which are excellent...but I still have some work to do on testing consistancy at longer distances with RL-17. </div></div>
What velocity are you getting with the R17 powder? Thanks! </div></div>

Uh ya. What he said. 75-100fps more seems a lot

I've heard these kind of speed increases with RL17 a number of times now in several cases. Usually it comes with less repeatability/larger groups though.

ETA: Some rounds do really really well with it, some don't. The other thing to consider with RL17 is that it keeps the pressure curve high for a longer duration. This translates to higher gas port pressures in gas guns. Unless you have the ability to adjust your gas block it can cause problems.

I've had great results with H4831sc in a 260 with 140gr bullets to get better speeds from the rifle. It's still a very consistent powder and requires some tuning in gas guns especially.

I have an unopened 5lb'r of RL17 if anyone's interested. I was going to use it in my 30-06 but I haven't had the chance to try it and the RL22 is treating me so well that I've decided not to crack open this jug.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suicide jockey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">139 Sceanr
H4350 about 42.5 grains
my COAL to lands is 2.830
26" Krieger
about 2850
That is all you need </div></div>

This! Maybe bump it down to 42.3 grains for a new gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D Baker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As it relates specifically to your velocity question, my experiments with RL-17 are showing 75-100 fps more velocity over H-4350 out of a 24" GAP bolt gun. Initial signs of accuracy are good relative to the H-4350 loads which are excellent...but I still have some work to do on testing consistancy at longer distances with RL-17. </div></div>
What velocity are you getting with the R17 powder? Thanks! </div></div>

Chad,
After your question, I looked up my print outs on the fps numbers I stated. Here are the numbers off of my Oehler 35P. Rifle is a GA Precision 260 Rem, 1/8.5 twist 24" Bartlein barrel. All bullets are Berger 140gr VLD-H in Nosler Brass with CCI BR-2 primers.

41.0 gr H-4350 2636 fps
41.5 gr H-4350 2672 fps
42.0 gr H-4350 2696 fps

41.0 gr RL-17 2703 fps plus 67 fps
42.0 gr RL-17 2802 fps plus 106 fps

Ok. You can load up a higher charge of H4350 than 42 grains with that set up and get higher speeds. With most lots of H4350, you can easily get 2800+, and most run around 2820-2850 fps. With R17, you can get higher velocities with the same powder charge comparing it to H4350. But you can not get the 100+ fps gain over H4350 while staying within standard pressures. It does give you a little more velocity than H4350 at max charges, but not the 100 fps over it. R17 shot very well for me, and gave me slightly more velocity out of my 28" Bartlein than H4350. But it wasn't enough to switch, since H4350 is an extreme powder and had a slightly lower powder charge. H4350 is hard to beat in a 260 Rem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">H4350 is hard to beat in a 260 Rem.
</div></div>

I was looking for some loads to try RL-17 with. I have also used H4831 SC in my 260 , but as Chad said the H4350 is GTG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok. You can load up a higher charge of H4350 than 42 grains with that set up and get higher speeds. With most lots of H4350, you can easily get 2800+, and most run around 2820-2850 fps. With R17, you can get higher velocities with the same powder charge comparing it to H4350. But you can not get the 100+ fps gain over H4350 while staying within standard pressures. It does give you a little more velocity than H4350 at max charges, but not the 100 fps over it. R17 shot very well for me, and gave me slightly more velocity out of my 28" Bartlein than H4350. But it wasn't enough to switch, since H4350 is an extreme powder and had a slightly lower powder charge. H4350 is hard to beat in a 260 Rem. </div></div>

Chad,
My only point was to show, with actual chrono data, that the same charge with RL-17 would produce higher velocities than H4350. I agree that H4350 is hard to beat in 260 Rem, it is still my powder of choice.

I have tried 139 Scenars, and found them to be outstanding for accuracy and distance. I have also found they tended to generate more pressure. My handloading philsophy is dependent on wreaking less mayhem in the boiler room, and I gave them a pass. Good bullet, though.

I used 142SMK's for a long stretch, excellent in every way.

I tried Hdy 140 A-Max, they work fine, and that's what I have currently loaded. But a broken base mounting screw currently has that rifle's usage on hold. Not a big deal, but it'll be some time before I get that sorted out.

I worked up loads with Ramshot Big Game, and later, Hunter when it came out. Both good, Hunter is the better. I currently load H-4350 because it's readily available, my Ramshot supplier was far away and went o/o business. I find that H-4350 is very accurate, easy to develop loads with (the nodes tend to be less narrow/peaky), has few bad traits related to environmental changes, and has applications for other chamberings I load (.280 Rem, for instance).

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find that H-4350 is very accurate, easy to develop loads with <span style="color: #FF0000">(the nodes tend to be less narrow/peaky), </span>has few bad traits related to environmental changes, and has applications for other chamberings I load (.280 Rem, for instance).

Greg </div></div>
YES! There are a lot of powders that have a very narrow range for the sweet spot in a given caliber. This often gets overlooked when trying to go for top velocity with the heavy-for-caliber bullets.

Baker,

I'm not dogging you. I'm sorry if it came across that way. I'm just stating that the 2 powders are different, and comparing the same weight charge is not an equal test. R17 will accept a higher charge weight, and therefore have more velocity with the same weight charge of H4350. On another note, R17 will also give you a higher fps increase over other powders that I have found. When increasing powder charges by .2 or .3 grains, my velocity will have a noticable increase over group, than any other powder. So, there is something going on with R17 to get the higher speeds.

H4350 is champ in both of my .260's. I'm also sold on the Wolf LR Mag primer. ES dropped with them and velocity did'nt change.(from F210 match and CCI BR2's) In my Crusader .260 I run 139gr scenars at 2850fps with 42.0grs H4350, Nosler brass. Barrel is a 26" 1-8" Schneider. I've got 7 loadings out of one lot of 100 and the pockets are still OK.

I'm waiting for the new run of Berger 140gr VLD's to start showing up. A friend gave me a half box of them to try last summer and they shot lights out.

As far as R17, my only bad experience with it was in my 6XC last winter in -35F temps the velocity was down several hundred feet per second...not a good thing when you're trying to hit a coyote at 600 meters..

I'm actually looking to get out of my RL powders, which is crappy because I've got about 15lbs of them in 17, 19, 22 on the shelf.

My 30-06 load varies by almost 1fps/degree with RL22, once the dope cards are made up for the varying temp tendencies it's fine. I mentioned above that it was treating me very well, that was in regards to group sizes. Temp sensitivity is something that I'm continually fighting.

Hodgdon maxes H-4350 and the 142SMK at 44.5gr. My load is 43.8/43.9gr (there are two 'identical' barrels involved, and they each have a slightly different preference).

The fact is, anything within +/-.2gr will work just fine, and that's the point I was making about broader nodes.

There are two ways to make an accurate load. The first is to match the load to the barrel harmonics. The second is to become so anally precise in loading that the barrel harmonics become irrelevant.

I prefer the former, and prefer it so much I go beyond simply making <span style="font-style: italic">a powder</span> work, and seek out a powder that does it without requiring that above mentioned anally precise loading process. I am not into handloading for the handloading. I'm in it for the shooting, and anything that demands the utmost <span style="font-style: italic">anything</span> out of me is not something I prefer.

This activity is supposed to be fun, and some of us may be losing sight of that. When it gets to be a chore, and a demanding one at that, I'm looking for that simpler way.

Greg

When I started working up my load for the 260, I probably tried a minimum of 5 different powders, and more like 6 or 7. The H4350 was the clear choice. 42.8gr is shooting the 140's very good and there is easily room to squeeze a little more out of them.

+1 more for H4350 - has shot great out of three .260's now. Look at the 140 Hornady A-max. Great varmint round and has a bc of .585

Good Luck,
JamieD

4831 or 4350 is both great powders for the 260. 4 of my 260 love 4831 with 139s shooting at or around 2850. My new combo is 4350 with 123 moly. They are shooting around 3100 fps. They are flat shooting out to 1200 yards.

Dar

Are those 123's the lapua's? I have been thinking of getting 1000 of them. I am shooting the 123 MK really close to 3300fps.(32" barrel). Ran some numbers today and with the 123 lapua's and 140 class bullets and 123's came out ahead out to 1500 yards. All based off of JBM.