• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report .260 video from yesterday.

58blackflag

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 30, 2012
SC
Hi all, I made a video yesterday of me shooting my .260. If you watch you'll see a little discription of my Scout Supply Co. rifle.
My shooting was less than ideal. I'm still learning to shoot in the wind but if you see any other mistakes I may be making that I could work on to improve, I wouldnt mind hearing them! Thanks.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XHTfHMcs2GM&feature=youtube_gdata_player"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XHTfHMcs2GM&feature=youtube_gdata_player" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: .260 video from yesterday.

Ya got a birds eye view and it looks cool but how steady is the "bench"? I'd imagine you'd get a slight movement from that even if there wasn't any wind. Maybe not but hard to judge any groups when even a slight wind will make your "bench" wiggle and wobble a bit.

Enjoy your new rifle, great caliber.

Topstrap

Yeah, wrong side of the rifle, lol. Also, the wobbly bench might also be a factor. I'd say get a more stable bench, and a dog that doesn't breath as hard, lol.

Russel is starting on my build this week. I'm pretty excited about it!

Couple things, first, your shot group is pretty good for the distance considering new rifle/load combo and your shooting platform.

Get off the vehicle, as stated above its not optimum. Running your bipod off the roof doesn't allow you to load them. Either put some sandbags/bracket/shooting matt with straps/etc on the roof so you can load the bipod or get off the roof.

Get someone to spot for you. From the little bit of vegitation observed in the video (to your left, near the jeep and at the target) their isn't a lot of movement. A spotter will be able to help you read the sign and get/keep you on target.

Jet

There's pretty much going on there that I think you could improve on.

For starters I would advise you subscribe to the SH training here on this site. After a little study and practice I think you will see what I mean when you look at this video again.

Get off the roof of your vehicle. You are worrying more about loosing your brass than you are about proper execution of your shooting technique.

Lapua brass is expensive! Really though, that's why I asked. Care to share some pointers? Just saying I'm not doing well doesn't help too much...

Watched the video again, in fact didn't see it when I made my first post about shooting off the roof. I can understand needing to be up higher to see your target and those are pretty good hits on that size target that far away from that position.

Hard to tell exactly what any of us may offer to help but you do seem to be directly in line with your gun. Can't tell but it doesn't appear to have a muzzle brake which will help a lot with you seeing your hits/misses although some say if you're doing everything right you don't need a brake but a shorter lighter gun does seem to move more than an unbraked even if you're doing everything right.

It also appears you may be settling the bi-pod legs into the groove from your rear hatch which might allow you to be preloading it a bit but really can't tell but also helps to get more consistent shots off and lets you see more hits/misses.

You must be pretty consistent with trigger/grip and cheek weld since you are putting your shots in the same area of the target but it also don't show how many were misses and where they went.

Just saying it's hard to tell much from the view of the steel plate and not knowing how many rounds went downrange to get that grouping. Maybe building an elevated platform of some type you can tow out to your range and have a firm platform and also some paper targets will let you gather more information to work with.

Overall, from seeing you shoot and how you were doing it I'd say you are off to a good start and have nothing really bad going on with the gun or your shooting. You mentioned Lapua brass, good brass but not needed to shoot tiny little groups or hit LR steel so no need to get caught up in the "gotta buy the best to shoot the best" crap we hear from time to time. Nice you can afford it but decent components and LOTS of quality trigger time a quality shooter it will make.

Topstrap

Thanks Topstrap. You can hear all the hits in the video if you listen carefully. I can spot all my hits and misses when I shoot in that manner through the scope. I make it a point to try and get in a position that allows this. I thought I was preloading my bipod but from what many of you had said, I'm guessing now it isn't enough pressure.
I shot 10 times on camera and hit on 7 of them. Before I filmed I shot 5 times and hit 3. My initial come up was a bit low so I adjusted up as I mentioned in the video. So with all that being said I was 10/15 on the day.
I realize now shooting off the roof isn't the best position but it really is all I can do to shoot anywhere past 200 yards at the places I have to shoot. It's hard enough to find a straight distance here with an unobstructed line of sight. Those of you who live out West without many trees and plenty of open, public land should feel thankful!
I will look into the online training. I had actually planned on attending a Thunderbeast class is September but due to a death in my fiances' family I had to cancel last minute. I've been trying to learn as much as possible just through practice. I'm not trying to be a competitive marksman or anything like that, but I would like to improve my shooting as much as possible. Thanks again for the constructive criticism!

Blackflag,
I hear you about the world being flat and full of vegetation! I'm in the upstate( Rock Hill), and while its a bit hillier, its pretty dense. I shoot off the tonneau cover of my pickup quite a bit. It sucks, but at least you can see.

Looks to me like you are off on a good start, those groups at 600+ are nothing to sneeze at.....

I have had good luck with "Big Dog Steel" and their "T-Post Mount" for steel. It is a way of hanging steel on a conventional T-Post, and that allows me to set the steel up pretty high to see it over the vegetation.

Big Dog Steel
The prices are very reasonable, and the quality is high.

Thanks Will! I may get one of those targets and try to hang it up in a tree on the edge of the cutdown. There aren't any fences to speak of but I may be able to put a 4x4 post into the ground and mount a target on that.
I would prefer a suspended target so it will swing when hit to make spotting easy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's pretty much going on there that I think you could improve on.

For starters I would advise you subscribe to the SH training here on this site. After a little study and practice I think you will see what I mean when you look at this video again.

Get off the roof of your vehicle. You are worrying more about loosing your brass than you are about proper execution of your shooting technique. </div></div>

I think he is talking about breaking position in order to retrieve your brass.
when shooting groups maintaining every aspect of your position including cheek weld makes for more consistantcy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I notice you were wearing hearing protection while shooting.

Perhaps some earpro for your shooting partner Nash would be a good idea??

http://www.amazon.com/Mutt-Muffs-DDR337-Hearing-Protection/dp/B002CZQ1TA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top</div></div>

The Nashster would quickly turn those into a chew toy! haha<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's pretty much going on there that I think you could improve on.

Get off the roof of your vehicle. You are worrying more about loosing your brass than you are about proper execution of your shooting technique. </div></div>

I think he is talking about breaking position in order to retrieve your brass.
when shooting groups maintaining every aspect of your position including cheek weld makes for more consistantcy.</div></div>

Thanks for the clarification! I've never thought about consistent positioning through an entire group...that makes a lot of sense now! I'll be sure to try my next outing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why didn't you have him build you a lefty??</div></div>

I debated over whether I should switch over. I've been shooting right handed gun since I was a kid so I was pretty used to righty controls. I asked some experienced shooters and they told me that using an opposite handed gun was only a disadvantage when shooting unsupported. As long as the front of the gun is supported by a bipod or shooting sticks, etc the non-trigger hand is free to work the bolt, adjust the scope, etc. So I stuck with a righty.

Also, I just bought Lowlight's "Day One" book on ibooks and I've already started reading through it and watching the videos that are included. I'm very impressed so far with the accompanying videos, they are great in showing the proper positions to reinforce the written instruction.

I went ahead and bought Lowlight's book that is currently being advertised here. It pointed out a lot of things I can work on, the first being staying down on the rifle between shots while shooting a group. I also think I could be a bit more square in the shoulders from what I was doing in the video. Hopefully I'll get back out to shoot some more this weekend and try it out.

The one thing that stood out to me is how your finger jumps off the trigger following every shot. Try holding the trigger all the way to the rear well after the shot, like until you hear/see your impact/miss.

Regarding breaking form to eject/catch your brass... I think that's a valid critique, but I don't know that it's necessarily what you need to worry about at this point in time. It may help you shoot a better group by keeping you in position... it will be an important component in the practical application of your shooting down the road (competition, hunting, ect.)... but I think consistent positioning on the rifle would be more pertinent to you in your development of the fundamentals. Personally, I think breaking your position in between shots is a good thing... as long as you're using it as an opportunity to develop consistent positioning and sight alignment.

You made a comment about always pitching that 5th shot... we all do it. It may sound like something out of a fortune cookie, but ditching the pursuit of a good group will often yield a good group. For example... I was testing some loads at 300 yds a few weeks ago with a friend who has NEVER spent any time focusing on precision shooting. He wanted to shoot my rifle so I gave him a few pointers on trigger pull, sight alignment, and follow-through and handed him a round. He fired, heard the hit on steel and was stoked but had no idea where he hit. Seeing his hit, I gave him another and told him to repeat what he had just done... another hit. I gave him one more and again, the steel rang. I laughed and took him for a walk down to the target. He had put 3 rounds in an inch at 300 yards and had no idea.

Lastly, don't rag your shooting so much. You're off to a good start and are shooting really well. Everyone wants to shoot bugholes... just keep your progress in perspective and try to learn from your misses.

Thanks for the tips and the encouragement boudin! I'm looking into getting a bigger target as well. I don't think my misses on the 10" target are far off so I'm hoping if I get a steel a bit bigger (I'm thinking an IDPA style 30"x18") it might help show HOW I'm missing a bit more.