• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing .270 Bolt Action Hunting Rifle...need help!

Cantstop

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2012
Fort Lauderdale, FL
So I'm looking to purchase a bolt action rifle in .270 for Georgia whitetail deer hunting. I'm a rookie when it comes to deer hunting, and took my first deer 3 weeks ago with my AR-10 308. I would like to get a more practical hunting rifle, but don't know where to start. I am a Kimber Pistol owner, and was considering the M84L in .270, but my uncle doesn't seem to think its necessary. He is recommending a remmington M700 or Winchester M70. I'm not concerned about the difference in price, because I know this rifle will be getting lots of use. Most shots will be under 100 yards.

Can you guys help me out please? I'm open to any and all suggestions! Thanks

any old steyr mannlicher will do. my old man has one for ... 30 years now, uses it alot ... and the more the wooden stock is worn down, the better it looks ;)

For those ranges pretty much anything will do. It all depends on what you want and why. In other words, do you want a working rifle to fill the freezer, or do you want a rifle to drop deer and take pics and show everyone how cool your rifle is. It may sound crazy, but you would be surprised.

Here are some suggestions, you can find them used or new

Winchester Model 70, Talley rings, Leupold VX3 2.5-8x32.
- Classic hunting rifle, great safety and trigger, wide field of view for close shots, enough mag for further
- approx 8 lbs

Tikka T3 Lite, Talley or DNZ Rings, Leupold VX3 2.5-8x32 or VXr 2-7x33
- Damn accurate out of the box
- optics for 100-500y
- detachable magazine
- currently on sale at Cabelas
approx 7-7.5 lbs

On the cheap,

Weatherby Vanguard, Warne base and rings, Redfield Revolution 2-7x33
-not fancy but will perform and dependable.
-scope made by Leupold (in the US) and lifetime warranty.
approx 7.5-8lbs

I'm not surprised, I was lookin at the Leopold for optics in the same thought process, and have heard good things about the model 70...Time tested. Would the Winchester be a better pick then the Remmington, or could that be just preference?

In all honesty, I have 4 Remington 700's, and the quality of the current production is not that of the early 1990's. I just picked up my first FN made model 70 and there is a definite difference in "attention to detail".

My 30-06 Model 700 was made in the early 90's and the action is smooth and has vey limited play. The bluing, the detail of the stock, sights etc.

Here is what and why I like the current model 70

Control round feed: I have never had a double load, or the bolt skip over the round. In my current model 700's this is a chronic problem.Forget all the "bend the spring this way and that" its just unacceptable.

Smooth bolt and very easy to cock: current 700's feel like shit(yes subjective, but you have to work it a few hundred times to get them like butter)

I like the bolt lock on the model 70 and Tikka. I climb up and around some real heavy brush, and I have found my bolt open on the 700 and the round had flung somewhere. No prob if you hunt from a stand or out in the prairie.

The floor plate on the 70 is steel and locks up solid

Factory stock is epoxy bedded, although its just a dab of Devcon, it just shows attention to detail

The model 70 trigger is crisp and repeatable. much better than the X mark.

Excellent bluing, and just a rifle I will feel proud to pass down to my kids.

Now not to completely bash the Remmy, because I have a foolish affinity for them. My SPS tactical is properly broken in but it took a new stock and trigger to get me where I wanted it. (around an additional $700) My Model 700 in 30-06(pre 1995) is good to go, I just put it in a CDL stock because of the straight comb and recoil pad.

Here are some pics just for an idea of the combo

Model 70
ohxg.jpg

1994 model 700
f12e.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, very good to know. I have also been reading that Kimber use to have accuracy issues, but that was over two years ago. Do you have any experience with the 84L? Thanks for your help

given that it's for hunting: go get a used swaro scope. I got a 6x42 habicht for my brother. about 15 years old scope. got it serviced from swaro in absam/austria free of charges (besides shipping). he likes to use it for boar hunting in full moon light. he really likes the 'absehen 1' for high contrast even in low light, without use of a illuminated reticle. in total, cost about 250 usd.

For the money a Tikka T3 is the best shooting out of the box hunting rifle available. Get one of those in .270 put a good scope on it and you are golden for any deer hunting.

You'll find no better bolt action rifle then the new FN Model 70 Winchester. The 270 is an excellent round. It'll work for anything you'll hunt in this country.

I cant comment on the Kimber, but to reflect on your uncles comment, the Kimber is not really necessary for the ranges you want to hunt. It will not make the deer any dead'r than an old school thuty-thuty lever action.

Tikka t3 lite in stainless. We bought my brother one this year and it is much nicer than my 4 year old Remington 700 stainless. I had issues with my Remington right out of the box. Had to go back to Remington twice for chamber inc issues.

I have a Winchester "brand new" that I will sell for $1,400. It is a Super Grade .270 Win, obviously current production, with a bedded action and diamond-lapped barrel (the factory barrel). I have shot 20 rounds through it to verify accuracy, and shot a 0.75" group with random handloads, for 5 shots at 100 yds. Of course, from Florida to Texas you can't do FTF, so it would be from my FFL to yours, and they could sort out the money.

Actually the 308 would be just fine, I think I'm trying to score some points with my family getting a "Hunting" rifle as opposed to my AR-10. And of course most of all, gives me an excuse to get a new rifle!! I'm gonna take a look at the tikka and model 70. I appreciate your guys input. What I'm really waiting for legal uses of Suppressors for hunting in GA-then the AR10 will be good to go!

For the money a Tikka T3 is the best shooting out of the box hunting rifle available. Get one of those in .270 put a good scope on it and you are golden for any deer hunting.

Right on!

I've shot a Remington ADL .270 for about 25 years. Love it. If I bought a .270 today it would be a Tikka. My brother has one, several friends have them. They shoot amazing! Plenty good for anything in the lower 48.

Plenty of other good options. Whatever you buy, take it out and shoot the crap out of it, practice!!

Check out the weatherby vanguard S2. It's got a better trigger than most other rifles out there (not just in its price range), a solid flat bottom action with built in lug, and a one piece bolt. They're also guaranteed to shoot sub MOA and every one I've seen exceeded that by quite a bit.

I have been a 700 guy my entire life. Recently, however, I acquired a model 70 heavy varmint and I am very impressed to say the least. Everything from the bottom metal to bolt feel is an upgrade over my 700s.

I've never used the above rifles, as I've only owned Savage 110 models. I've owned 2 in .270 Win, one in 22-250, one in 7mm-08, and the most recent one in 338LM. All but one rifle would shoot under 1/2 MOA and that was my second .270 Win of 1990 vintage that would still hold just under 1 MOA. The new accutriger is quite good and the DBM center feed mags are a great deal better than the older stagger-fed mags. They come in an assortment of blue/ss, wood/synthetic to meet your wants and needs and be found as a package deal with mounted scope if you want. As someone else said...lots of options out there. Buy a rifle and shoot it A LOT!!! :)

.270 is a great round for those distances. I like that round but if i were going to buy another rifle other than a big magnum id go with a .270wsm. I like the remmington action personally. Take a look at Browning rifles too.

Lots to think about...been hearing great thinks about the Tikka, and Model 70 too. Need to get out and put my hands on a few rifles! Thanks for all the input

I have several hunting rifles, including a Tikka T3 Lite, Kimber Montana, BAR and several 700s. All of the choices discussed above will work for your needs. With that said, it is hard for me to go deer hunting and leave my old Sako Finnbear in .270 at the house. While it may be 50 years old or so, it has the best factory trigger of anything I have ever owned and is as accurate as they come. There are just some rifles that you become attached to and can never be replaced.

OP,

I live and hunt in South GA. I agree with Coldbore. Your AR .308 is more than adequate. But if you want to get in good with the family hunting, I'd get something for them to appreciate as it seems they frown on the AR for hunting. I also agree with Kraig... Winchester 70 with a nice wood stock in .308 or a caliber your uncle recommends (he will probably appreciate it if you took some of his advice). Spend more than you think you need to on the scope. Enough can't be said for good clear glass those last few minutes of hunting.

On a side note, I just sold a Kimber 84L Montana in 30-06. The rifle was light and handled like a dream, but I couldn't get it to group like a Kimber priced rifle should. I sent it back to Kimber to have it checked. They test fired it in a lead sled with different factory ammo until they got a decent (1") group and sent it back along with the target. I didn't want to be stuck shooting Fed Premium TSX factory ammo, so I sold it.

GA will vote again in early 2014 to allow hunting with suppressors. The bill stalled out the last 2 years without a vote. I hope it goes through.

Good luck.

Bill

Both my buddy and I have Tikka T3 Lites in .270 Win. He shoots the 130 gr. Nosler E-Tip and I shoot the 130 gr. Barnes T-TSX. We both shoot Winchester brass but he likes Varget with a velocity of 2850ish/fps and I use H4831SC with a velocity of 3000ish/fps. Both of our rifles are .5 MOA at 100 yards and have no problem holding .75 MOA or less out to 300 when we do our part. For long range stuff, we both shoot the 135 gr. SMK with 58.3 gr. of H4831SC and both rifles will shoot that .25 MOA at 100 yards. He used his for a local long range shooting competition and was hitting steel at 887 yards. He made a cold bore first shot on a 10" plate at 700 yards. He had no problem hitting a 6" plate at 600 yards every time.

The Tikka T3's are probably the most accurate out-of-the-box rifles out there right now. The actions are as smooth as glass and they come with a great trigger that is adjustable...and for about $500 you really can't beat them. Plus, there are more and more aftermarket parts becoming available because they are so popular.

Let's say you even drop $600 on one after all the taxes and fees and BS and then throw on a very decent $250-$350 Leupold, Nikon, Bushnell, etc... you are still at least $300 ahead than if you were to purchase a M70 or M84, and you have glass. That's $300-$500 more to put toward gear, another firearm, a hunt, or whatever and you have a rifle that shoots as good or better.

Another vote for the tikka t3 they're lightweight, accurate, smooth action perfect hunting rifle at a good price IMO. The rings that come with them suck but there are plenty of good mounting options out there for them.

All good advice above. Personally, I would opt for something in .308 over the .270, that way you have two guns that share the same caliber. Just my .02 cents.

This is all some great feedback! Thank you everyone, having 2 rifles in the same caliber might not be a bad idea...considering I have over 800 rounds of 308...I must be crazy!

Off topic a bit . . .but I really see the 270 surging in popularity, especially with the newer higher bc bullets coming out for it. It's my go to hunting caliber

I would also say go with the Tikka T-3, I have one in 308 and it's been great.

Any excuse to buy a new rifle is a good excuse, but, are you buying a .270 because of peer pressure?
The .270 is a fine cartridge, but you already own a .308. My vote would go to a .308 bolt gun.
The Savage Hog Hunter would be an outstanding choice as would about 100 other makes/models.
Hell, you could get a Kimber Tactical, topped with a Bushnell 3-12 elite tactical, weaver 3-15 or PST 4-16.

PHP:
Go to a good gun shop and pick the one that feels right I would say if your shooting under 100 with a 270 then pick a premium bullet like a Barnes or you may see a lot of meat damage I switched a while ago to a 30-06 for the same reason exellent caliber though. I got full custom rifles sako 85's and I nearly always grab the same rifle when stalking a weatherby vanguard 30-06 with a custom carbon stock love it. Scope wise zeiss duralyt, Swarovski or Steiner for a stalking rifle are exellent durable, simple great in low light

Last edited:
I'm with you with the action on the Model 70. To me it's just superior.

I also really like the Tikka T3. Nice rifles and accurate too.

I also like the .270 just because. It's a great hunting cartridge and easy to find in stock if you're in a pinch.

Sounds like you will end up with something nice and will be popular with your family!

Shot hundreds of deer with my Sako 85 in .270 Fantastic calibre in a fantastic rifle.

AfterBlackShadow.jpg

DSC00579_zps61beb662.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

DSC00607.jpg

IMG_0073_zpsb7039c57.jpg

DSC00470_zps967b9ea8.jpg

Get a 6x42 S&B on there and for 100 yard deer hunting you'd need nothing else. I've taken a few deer out to 400 with that rig as well, and all with factory ammo, 130gn RWS H-Mantle was Excellent.

But where's the fun in that? :) I still ended up buying an AI AW and that's now No.1 gun in my cabinet, so it's likely that later on down the road you'll desire something a bit more special.

Had good experiences with Tikka T3'3 and more so with the older Tikka Continentals. Savage looks good for the money, and well, lets face it, Any rifle should be able to deliver nowadays whatever you decide to get.

I had a Winchester model 70 in .30-06 back in the day, excellent rifle, very accurate, wish I still had it. I have been seeing a lot of comments on Remingtons quality since their buy out. It seems to be hit or miss. That said I do own a couple older Remingtons (model 788 and 552), and a Weatherby Vanguard. In all honesty all of them are excellent rifles. Of them all the Remington 788 is the most accurate, I love the lines/stock/looks of the Weatherby (shoots 1 moa @100) and I miss my old model 70. I love Remingtons but Im not sure Id buy one today. I have handled the Tikka rifles and have nothing against them, nice rifles. For a deer rifle out to a hundred yards or even five hundred, you cant go wrong with any of these. Go to your gun shop and pick some of these rifles up and see which you like, any of the ones mentioned should fit your needs. As for caliber I use my Weatherby .243 for whitetail, you are already set up with .308, Id pick one up in .308.

Your first choice was the best Kimber. It's what a Win 70 should have been. Go to a gun show where you can pick them up and compare them all

My very first rifle was a Remington Model 700 in 243. I then "graduated" up to my current rifle; a Browning A-Bolt II in 270. The difference between these two models are night and day. I LOVE my Browning, and would never part with it on the other hand the Remington I wouldn't lose any sleep over if I sold it. The bolt on the Browning is buttery smooth, the trigger pull is crisp, and has a removable mag. The Remington's bolt has some play in it (even brand new out of the box it never felt as solid as the Browning did/does) the bolt would even stick when trying to reload after a shot (has done that from day one), the trigger pull was a little sloppy for my tastes, and you have to load your rounds in through the breach (has no removable mag). I have played with a Winchester model 70, and I think it would be my second choice in a gun with the Browning being number 1. I also have a Leupold Vari X-III 3 - 9 X 50 scope. I personally have seen this scope fall out of a deer stand, hit every rung on the ladder on the way down, and still keep its zero after that beating (brother dropped his unloaded gun from the deer stand MANY years ago). Remington's are popular because they are cheap. You can get them for $400 to $600 while the Browning's will cost ya $800 (if your lucky) to $1,400 or more. When it comes to guns, I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. So, I would recommend going with the Winchester or Browning over the cheap Remingtons.

WP_20131109_009.jpg

That's a 130gr Interlock out of a Savage .270.

Honestly, most Savage rifles will shoot well under MOA right out of the box. I have heard the tikka has excellent accuracy as well, as others here are saying. Either way it sounds like you are on the right track, good luck.