• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report .270 V.S. .308

hk9176251

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2009
lewiston ny
what would be the better all around rifle to have for long range target shooting and white tail deer hunting pro's and con's on each im new to the long distance game so what ever info is appreciated thanx guys!

Re: .270 V.S. .308

The .270 is highly popular and thoroughly effective for deer hunting, and ammunition is usually as close as your local Wallyworld.

Target shooting is another issue, as I'm not well aware of many suitible target loads being available in the chambering. Also, the case capacity and resulting recoil are greater than the .308, which may discourage sustained fire practice due to recoil issues.

Further, hunting type rifles should be optimized for carry and rapid manipulation, leading to shorter, lighter barrels. Target rifles like a heavier, and maybe longer, barrels, and stock ergonomics should be optimized differently as well.

Greg

To try and answer your question, I made the following assumptions:

I used the "best" bullets available with High G7 BC's (by Litz) for paper punching, not necessarily the "best" hunting bullets.

I assumed a minimum of 1000 Foot Lb's of Energy (FPE) necessary for a clean kill on deer.

I used JBM Data and 50 yd increments. I cut off when the data dropped below 1000 FPE.

I used a total of 4 popular LR capable target/hunting rounds rounds: 260 Rem, 270 Win, 7mm-08, and 308 Win.

260 Rem 140 gr A-Max @ 2850 FPS
750 Yds 1059.3 FPE

270 Win 150 Gr Berger Hunting VLD @ 2950 FPS
800 Yds 1004.5 FPE

7mm-08 175 SMK @ 2625 FPS
850 Yds 1041.7 FPE

308 Win 185 Berger 185 Gr LRBT @ 2625
800 Yds 1018.2 FPE

To fully answer your original question, the ballistic difference between the "best" 270 and 308 Win rounds is Nil. Both will get out to 800 yds or so for a "killing shot". And that sir is a pretty fair poke.

The 308 will have considerably longer barrel life than a 270 Win in regards to target shooting. The 270 Win has no dedicated target bullets.

For a dual purpose target/hunting rifle, either the 260 Rem, 7mm-08 or 308 Win have more merit due to better bullet availability, than the 270.

One note: The 270 Win uses a Long action, the others a short action. You should also compare the: 6.5-06, 280 Rem and 30-06. They share the same great bullet selection as the 260 Rem, 7mm-08 and 308, and due to higher initial velocities they will reach out another 50 to 100 yds further, but barrel life as target rounds will be shorter.

Bob

would the 270 have a more forgiving or should i say flater trajectory without having to step up to somthing like a 300 wsm? and thng you for your detailed info!

right now i am limited to try to work up to about 670 yards but i dont want to limit myself as my skill grows and if i can find somewhere with more distance later (target not hunting ) you understand!

If I was to have only one for hunting and target at THAT range. I would go with a short mag.I use a .260 for my allaround gun, BUT I am not planning on shooting a deer that far away. Maybe but not planning on it. .270 is a great hunting round but target bullets knock it on down list list for a dual purpose gun IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hk9176251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would the 270 have a more forgiving or should i say flater trajectory without having to step up to somthing like a 300 wsm? and thng you for your detailed info!</div></div>

If you are looking for a "forgiving" trajectory at long range, you should be less worried about how much it drops, and more concerned about wind drift. If you reload, look heavily at the 6.5 or 7mm's. If you don't reload, it will be tough to beat the .308 for all around usage.

im not going to hunt that range nither to start with at this point i would consider myself lucky if i only missed by 30 yards lol so you think if i where to go with one cartrage for both activitys and i wanted somthing flater shooting than the 308 i should skip right to a 300 wsm and forget about the 270 this will be mu first bolt action other than my .17 hmr i already have a semi auto 308 and i would like a new caliber in the safe any way this brainstorming looks to be ruling out the 308 !
p.s. i dont reload at this time although its somthing i will look into in the future

Since you want a round that can be used for both hunting and targets and you don't reload, then you should only be considering cartridges that have match ammo readily available:

Link:

HSM Long Range Target Ammo

If you go to that link, you will find match ammo in:

260 Rem
6.5x55
6.5x284
7mm Rem Mag
30-06
300 Win Mag.

Link:

Cor-Bon Performance Match Ammo

If you go to the Cor-Bon link you will find match ammo in:

260 Rem
6.5x284
7mm-08
7mm WSM
300 WSM
300 Win Mag

In addition Hornady makes match ammo for the 6.5 Creedmoor. Black Hills also has match ammo available in most common calibers.

I did not consider any calibers smaller than 24 cal nor larger then 30 cal.

Bob

you guys are all giving me good info to expand my reserch on and some alternatives i didnt even consider thanx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hk9176251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....i dont reload at this time....</div></div>

Hunting, match, and plinking (milsurp) ammo are all readily available over the counter.

I had both. Started shooting to long ranges last year (out to 1100 yards) plus I shoot all the Scottish deer species.

I sold the 270 on Saturday as I just didn't use it anymore.

I do reload and could not get the 270 to perform as consistantly as the 308.

I own both with my .270 primarily a hunting rifle. However I've gotta say that shooting the 135 SMK's it makes a belting target rifle too (Tikka T3 varmint stainless).
On deer it seems to perform exceptionally well being fast and hard hitting with 130 gr bullets.
Disadvantages over the .308 :
Lack of target ammo (apart from the above mentioned SMK heads)
Shorter barrel life
Greater recoil
Long action

If you can see yourself starting to reload for target work I say buck the trend and go with a .270 in a decent action and barrel!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jagged77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own both with my .270 primarily a hunting rifle. However I've gotta say that shooting the 135 SMK's it makes a belting target rifle too (Tikka T3 varmint stainless).
On deer it seems to perform exceptionally well being fast and hard hitting with 130 gr bullets.
Disadvantages over the .308 :
Lack of target ammo (apart from the above mentioned SMK heads)
Shorter barrel life
Greater recoil
Long action

If you can see yourself starting to reload for target work I say buck the trend and go with a .270 in a decent action and barrel!
</div></div>

+ the NOISE

My choices would be nearly the same, but with the .280 instead of the .270; mainly because with handloading, the .280 can at least make use of very good LR 7mm capable target bullets.

I own a pair of inherited Ruger MKI's with a factory lightweight barrel, and a factory varmint weight barrel. They both handle the Hornady Custom 139gr SST with considerable ease and accuracy, and I would not hesitate to take on paper in informal target practice with that load out to 1Kyd.

While I'd probably never take such a shot, I'm pretty sure it could both hit and drop a deer well out to at least 800yd. I just don't trust my own wind skills for suitible bullet placement on a live target that far out.

I don't own any .308's anymore, mainly because mine were so clearly outperformed by the .260, which I have embraced unabashedly. It's just better at everything the .308 does. The 7-08 is, IMHO, essentially the same cartridge, but with a better selection of factory loads. Damn Remington, but they've given their own .260 offspring very short shrift. Never observed a manufacturer with worse self preservation skills. Its almost as if their parent company would prefer to see them fail.

Greg

i was thinking of maby starting to learn to reload and saw that hornady has a 150gr. bullet with a Ballistic Coefficient of .525 and thought with the volume of the case that this could be a very overlooked and hot round!!

I have both .270 Winchester sporter as my light hunting rifle. My .308 is a heavy barreled pig.

Try to find .260, .280 Rem, or one of the new short magnums in east bum***K. When I was in Canada (in the sticks of Quebec) at the local grocery/gas/hunting store they had .30-06, .308, .270 .303 British (very popular up there) and .300 Win mag. Just an example of choosing a readily replaceable cartridge for you main rifle. I had come-ups on that rifle out to 800 yards with a 6X Leupold MK4 MD scope.

Good luck

Jerry

I've shot my 270 out to 1K, and it will outperform a 308 Win (ballistcally). The Berger VLD's, Hornady SST's and Sierra 135 matchking would all be good choices for the 270. The main question is if you plan to reload. You will not get that great of factory long range/match ammo with the 270 Win. You have to reload. So, if you plan to reload, go 270. If not, then go 308. The 308 will also have a much better selection of factory offerings. Plus, you'll have a better factory offering in match rifles in 308.