• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2707 Yard 1.54mi shot! Savage 110 BA

Grizzdude

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2011
sites.google.com
Whats up Guys, I wanted to share this little video I made shooting the Savage 110BA 338 Lapua at a distance of 2707 yards. I was using 300gr Berger bullets traveling at 2740 FPS. This shot required about 35 mils of hold over, with the nightforce NXS I was able to dial 27.5 mils, back the magnification off to 13X and use the bottom of the 5 mil reticle. With a flight time of just over 5 seconds it comes in pounding with 740ft-lbs of energy at 1.54mi away. Let me know if you enjoyed the video, thanks!

2707 yard shot! 1.54mi

Nice shooting Grizz!! If I had a place like that to go shoot there is no telling what all I would have.

Nice shooting Grizz!! If I had a place like that to go shoot there is no telling what all I would have.

I know it may be little bit of a drive but there is a ranch here in Oklahoma north of Tulsa that will allow you to shoot as far as you want. 50$ and can be up to 4 people. Shoot all day.

Awesome video btw, I love these posts. I am planning on trying my 308 at a mile soon just for kicks. at 1760 yards I should still have almost 900 fps.

Last edited:
what bullet and load are you running in a 308 that you think you're gonna have 900ft lb on target at one mile?

I'm assuming Shanerbanner meant 900 fps on target @1760 yds, unless we aren't talking about .308 winchester or he's running 80,000psi in a 36" barrel.
Otherwise a std .308 win would have around 450ft-lbs at 1760

On the video, damn sir! How many shots total to get your dope?
Also, are you just leaving a keyed walkie talkie down range to hear impacts? Genius!

Last edited:
I'm assuming Shanerbanner meant 900 fps on target @1760 yds, unless we aren't talking about .308 winchester or he's running 80,000psi in a 36" barrel.
Otherwise a std .308 win would have around 450ft-lbs at 1760

On the video, damn sir! How many shots total to get your dope?
Also, are you just leaving a keyed walkie talkie down range to hear impacts? Genius!

Thanks smokebomb, it only took about 3 or 4 shots to start getting near the target, but then it took another 17 shots to actually make the hit. I noticed even just a hair of cant will send the bullet about 8ft to the right or left, that was the biggest issue at these distances. I had an old pair of walkies and they have the auto feature where if it hears sound it just transmits hands free, I have to admit it was pretty cool hearing the dings through the walkie.

Hey, you should post this in the Suppressors and Gunsmithing sections too!

My edge is getting a new barrel, I found a spot where it is possible to do some very long range, can't wait to try it too. You vids are inspiring grizzdude, keep them coming plz.
Cheers

what bullet and load are you running in a 308 that you think you're gonna have 900ft lb on target at one mile?

Yup, definitely meant fps. Corrected the post. Energy would be stupid low something like 285 at that range with 4 second flight time with my 308, 36.4 mils of elevations, and (with zero wind) 1.1 mils of spin drift.
It will be a month or 2 before this happens since my scope is now at Bushnell waiting to be repaired, damn parallax or something internally went out on me.

Last edited:
Grizz, is that a stock BA? Anything done to it besides hand loads and a nice scope ?

And u should have put some death metal to this video- or something heavy. Lol. Shooting that far, I don't wanna listen to Lady Gaga!! J/k. Nice video

Sweet! That full 5 second delay is a trip to wait for. Plus that perfect keyhole'd bullet bruise on the plate is something else :)

Nice shooting sir.

Thanks guys!

Grizz, is that a stock BA? Anything done to it besides hand loads and a nice scope ?

And u should have put some death metal to this video- or something heavy. Lol. Shooting that far, I don't wanna listen to Lady Gaga!! J/k. Nice video

Yes this is an out of the box stock 110 BA, no work to it, just hand loads and a scope.

Lady GAGA!!!!!! lol it's tough to pick out good free music sometimes.

Did the bullet that hit the frame tumble into it. strike it sideways???? always wondered what those big bullets do when they go transonic for a distance. what Elevation were you shooting at?

What charge are you running under the Berger and what is your initial velocity. I haven't taken my BA past 1600 yet. Way cool video. Is that in Montana? That would explain the Griz part of Grizdude

Go Bobcats!

Nice shooting, Grizz!

Yup, definitely meant fps. Corrected the post. Energy would be stupid low something like 285 at that range with 4 second flight time with my 308, 36.4 mils of elevations, and (with zero wind) 1.1 mils of spin drift.
It will be a month or 2 before this happens since my scope is now at Bushnell waiting to be repaired, damn parallax or something internally went out on me.

I've push 308W up to 1200m with a factory ammo (MV 2486fps measured at 30°C ; now shooting at 12°C) with 21,1 MIL drop (12,1MIL with the turret and 9MIL hold on the reticle) where the bullet was subsonic from ~1050m. I hit the target with 4th shot and after first hit I had a good hits percentage. Every miss was from my mistake, because a canted rifle or bad wind call (wind gust 3,5m/s from R to L with full value).
Is very interesting to push 308w beyond its limits at those distance where each small mistake will be a sure miss on the target.
So, good luck to 1 mile!

Video is really well done. Well, except for the music....but I'm sure it was appropriate when you started twerkdancing on the mountain after making 2700 yard hits with a stock Savage.

Thats an impressive range you have there sir with even more impressive shooting. Coolest shooting video I've seen in a really long time. Thanks for posting.

Did the bullet that hit the frame tumble into it. strike it sideways???? always wondered what those big bullets do when they go transonic for a distance. what Elevation were you shooting at?

The impact on the target stand does look like the bullet was pointing down when it hit it, but in the slow mo picture the bullet looks stabilized. Funny how it couldn't penetrate the 1/8" sheet metal frame.
What charge are you running under the Berger and what is your initial velocity. I haven't taken my BA past 1600 yet. Way cool video. Is that in Montana? That would explain the Griz part of Grizdude

Go Bobcats!

Thanks, I was using 90.0gr H1000 seating the bullets .010" off the lands. This was shot in colorado
Video is really well done. Well, except for the music....but I'm sure it was appropriate when you started twerkdancing on the mountain after making 2700 yard hits with a stock Savage.

lol, how did you know I started twerkdancing......I didn't tell anyone that part
Thats an impressive range you have there sir with even more impressive shooting. Coolest shooting video I've seen in a really long time. Thanks for posting.

Thanks man!

How many rounds did you shoot at it? how many impacts.

I looked at the freeze frame of the bullet in flight it looks like its yawing badly and may have not quite started to tumble yet.

Was there much wind. Did it seem to group like 27-30" or was it random.

What aprox Elevation were you shooting at?

Not busting balls, Im really interested. Ive found that when those big long VLD's go trans-sonic they become very unpredictable. Wanting to see if you agree with this!

Great Video and great shooting

How many rounds did you shoot at it? how many impacts.

I looked at the freeze frame of the bullet in flight it looks like its yawing badly and may have not quite started to tumble yet.

Was there much wind. Did it seem to group like 27-30" or was it random.

What aprox Elevation were you shooting at?

Not busting balls, Im really interested. Ive found that when those big long VLD's go trans-sonic they become very unpredictable. Wanting to see if you agree with this!

Great Video and great shooting

Hey thanks, It took 21 rounds to get my first hit, then another 10 rounds to get that bounce hit. There was very little wind that day, a slight head wind at the target. I'm not sure of the grouping but there were MANY shots that went between the target and the target stand. Some times I would notice slight cant and I knew the bullet was going to go right or left. The elevation was just over 7000 ft. I'm working with a copper solid from cutting edge and it looks to be real promising, Maybe I can get better results next time.

Man that looks like fun. Wished I could find a place like that to shoot.

Nice job!!!

Great shooting! Not many places here in MI to get past 800...but being a pilot, I will be headed west to try some real long range shooting!