• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

270WSM..best load for it?

Dust22-250

Private
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2008
I have a Sako A7 I am wanting to get a handload made up for it. It has a 22" barrel and a 1-10 twist. I am wanting a long range load. I plan on shotting a Berger bullet. Probably 150 grain for that extra pop downrange and wind bucking. But could shot 130 or 140 grains to if reccommended. Like to get to be a killer out to around 600 yards. or further if possible.

What loads do you guys and gals reccommend? I have heard retumbo is a good powder.

Thanks for any info.

Re: 270WSM..best load for it?

Hi Dust

Not alot of reloading time so not an 'educated' opinion but I tried Retumbo in my brother-in-laws .270 WSM and the results were not very good. I had also heard it was good in the .243 which I'm shooting but that didn't work out either. IMR's webpage says "[IMR4350 is] the number one choice for the new short magnums, both Remington and Winchester versions. For magnums with light to medium bullet weights, IMR 4350 is the best choice." And they are owned by Hodgdon, who makes Retumbo. I kinda thought in my uneducated opinion that Retumbo might be too slow for magnums with high speed lighter bullets as opposed to slower/heavier mags. The IMR4350 sure works a heck of a lot better in my .243, haven't shot the loads I made up for the .270WSM yet, will get back to you if I get some good results with it. Note: We only tried with Winchester magnum primers and 140 grain bullets, maybe it doesn't like one or the other of these...

Re: 270WSM..best load for it?

IMR4350
for sure ... of course do your own testing ect. pressure signs and so on

it works amazingly well for this cases capacity

good luck