• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing .284 win v2.0

300sniper

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2005
Greenwood, Ca
my .284 had 3k rounds down the barrel and was still shooting damn good. i knew it wasn't going to last much longer though. after 10 firings on my winchester brass, i decided it's probably time to start a new batch. i didn't want to start a new batch on a barrel that i didn't expect to last much longer so i figured now was the right time to rebarrel.

here's v1.0.

284redo1.jpg

and then.

284redo2.jpg

v1.0 had a 27" barrel broughton 7.1 contour barrel. since 90+ percent of time this rifle is shot prone, i decided to try to squeeze a bit more velocity out of it. i'm going to finish the broughton 12.4 at 31". i'll gain 4" of length but not any weight.

284redo3.jpg

this was the first rifle i built. when i originally built the rifle i opened up the receiver threads to 1.072"-16. after finding a few remington receivers that weren't completely cleaned up by this dimension, i decided to go to 1.082"-16 on all of them from now on to stay consistent. there was nothing wrong with this receiver but i decided to open up the threads to 1.082"-16 and touch the receiver face up.

to make it easier placing the receiver into the truing jig, i grabbed my indicator rod with the drill chuck in the tailstock. i slid it forward until the receiver was inside of the jig. i lightly screwed the adjustment screws until they made contact. i removed the tailstock and adjusted until there was minimal runout at two places on the rod.

284v201.jpg

284v203.jpg

after it was dialed in, i opened up the minor diameter and gave a short counterbore at the major diameter. after that, i chased the threads out to 1.082". finally i touched up the receiver face.

284v205.jpg

i didn't touch the lug abutments this time. the were done on the original build and i didn't want to remove any more material. one of the abutments has a gouge in it from debris and it's been that way a long time. it's worn in now and the lugs still make perfect contact. it has a ptg bolt from the original build and i'm leaving it alone.

284v2011.jpg

you can see the gouge in this picture. the rifle has been shooting so good in this condition, i'm not sweating it.

284v2015.jpg

Re: .284 win v2.0

since the barrel tenon is going to be larger than the original build, i needed to open up the lug.

284v206.jpg

i used to plunge the cutting tool into the tenon at the shoulder to eliminate the radius left from the tool. i have since changed to chamfering the lug and leaving the small fillet at the tenon/shoulder junction.

284v208.jpg

Man, I love these step-by-step jobs with pics...lookin good 300Sniper. Keep em coming!

I can't believe you haven't made the action jig to do away with the chuck. Have you used the flush system yet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: field</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't believe you haven't made the action jig to do away with the chuck. Have you used the flush system yet? </div></div>

the direct mount truing jig is on the to do list. it just hasn't made priority status yet. the flush system is waiting on spare funds to finish. i want to have the tank powder coated and i need to purchase the plumbing.

barrel's fitted and chambered.

284v2010.jpg

muzzle threaded and profiled for a brake i made in the original build. it fits using the same dimensions as a badger fte but looks like an aiaw.

284v2019.jpg

284v2018.jpg

Love your work, and the way you cover it. Looking real good. Can't wait to see it finished, and more importantly, you shooting it. Great job!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GasLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Robert,

Is 1.082" what Chad is using too? I think it makes awesome sense to pick a dimension and then true every action to that...

As always, awesome work! </div></div>

i'm not sure what dimension chad is using. i like the idea of "blueprinting" instead of just "truing" to keep everything consistent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GasLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Robert,

Is 1.082" what Chad is using too? I think it makes awesome sense to pick a dimension and then true every action to that...

As always, awesome work! </div></div>

I'm pretty sure that I've read that Mr. Dixon's using 1.085 as a standard. My personal stuff that isn't built on a custom are all cut to 1.080 for the 1-1/16 x 16 TPI tenon.

The 1.080 vs. 1.082 vs. 1.085 makes no functional difference, it's not completely arbitrary but any of the 3 above will work dandy.

I definitely agree, it's a good idea for cutting to a standard.

I don't do a lot of builds, just my stuff and tinkering on things that I want to try, the standard makes it easy. For a shop owner it makes all sorts of sense.

I use 1.085/16

Robert, tisk tisk my friend. You haven't made a fixture yet for boring lugs?

This prevents distorting the bore and making it an egg when you release the jaw tension.

Don'tcha just luv it when guys pick your chit apart??

Nice job man!

C.

103_0608.jpg

actually, i do have an unrelated question on lugs that i was going to pick your brain about chad. i'll send you a pm.

i know i need to make a boring fixture for the recoil lugs. i just don't do enough of them so it hasn't made the priority list. there's so little cutting force on them that i don't hold them that tight. now i have really messed one up trying to dial it into a 4 jaw to bore out in the lathe though
laugh.gif

but i honestly do like when people pick my setups or work apart. if i was scared of that, i wouldn't post my work here. with the feedback, i just might learn something.

getting a bit closer. hopefully by the end of the week i'll be ready to send some rounds down range.

since the brake is removable, i engraved an index mark on the muzzle and the brake to ensure it i put it back where it goes.

284v2023.jpg

284v2024.jpg

then i engraved an index mark on the barrel, recoil lug and receiver to ensure everything goes back together perfectly if i have to remove the barrel for some reason.

284v2025.jpg

after that, i engraved my signature and caliber and pulled the barrel. i gave the barrel a bead blast finish. i blasted and redid the black oxide finish on the muzzle brake. i aluminum-oxide blasted the receiver, bolt and recoil lug in prep for a refinish of flat black moly-resin.

284v2029.jpg

284v2026.jpg

284v2027.jpg

284v2028.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stay with a 9 twist?

</div></div>

yes. 9 twist broughton.

thanks dave.

the index marks are something i like to do just for an extra touch.

i just weighed this rifle and it came in at 17.4 lbs with empty magazine and no sling. i need to find what it weighed before but i thought it was over 18 lbs.

that was about the closest to zero first round down the barrel i've ever had. all i did was look down the bore at a target located 100 yards away and adjusted the cross hair to that same point. usually i'm within 5" or 6" of the target on the first shot. the first shot was the top right. it was a left over round from my old barrel. i made and adjustment and the next shot is the one on the left. i made an adjustment again and the next three shots went into the hole in the lower right.

e7da29f9.jpg

i made another adjustment (the correct one this time
grin.gif
) and fired 5 more rounds at a different target to confirm.

ed2508e4.jpg

e385e383.jpg

i lost my clean point of aim so my group isn't as tight as i think this rifle will be capable of. even at a rch over 3/8", i think the rifle is going to do good things. i'm anxious to get it out to the 1k range.

Is the action epoxy bedded to the stock? Or just torqued in to the aluminum bedding block?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the action epoxy bedded to the stock? Or just torqued in to the aluminum bedding block? </div></div>

no epoxy. just torqued into the chassis. the only modifications to the aics was opening up the recoil lug recess to allow for the thicker lug.

i know "stress" is a bad word around here when it comes to stock/receiver fit but i'm not convinced it really matters in a vee block setup and tactical rifles. if i set my receiver on granite surface plate even visually, it's obviously bent. also, due to the rear screw being behind the last point the tang makes contact with the vee, it causes the rifle to fail the so called "stress test" miserably. what i do know is that when it is torqued properly into the vee block, it is going to do anything a tactical type rifle needs to do.

now if we were talking about benchrest accuracy, maybe then i'd be a bit more worried about the stress issue and vee blocks. but then again, if we were talking about benchrest rifles, i sure as hell wouldn't be considering an aics to begin with.

my opinion is that the benefits of a vee block design outweigh any <span style="font-style: italic">potential</span> accuracy that might be gained by epoxy bedding them.

That came together real well...given your machining skills, I'm surprised you haven't machined the stress out of the block....Laffin

Off to a pretty good start I would say.

the rifle is faster than i was expecting. i haven't chrony'd it yet but it used to constantly take 28.5 moa to 1k from a 100 yard zero with the 27" barrel. it now takes 26.75 moa with the same load and the 31" barrel. i'm guessing it's a little over 2900 fps. it is shooting incredibly tight at closer ranges but i am getting a bit more vertical spread at longer ranges. i need to do a bit of load development when i can find the time.

Really enjoy your posts. I have a long way to go on the lathe.

Thanks for posting this, can't wait to see some match results from this thing! got a 9.3 tw Rock Creek that I was going to turn into a 7 WSM, but watching this and seeing how guys do at 1k with a .284... I'm definitely rethinking things a little bit.