• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

284 winchester. Long or Medium(defiance, Origin) length action

tilman2141

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2022
Kentucky
I’m looking at building a 2nd rifle and I am hung up between going with defiance/Zermatt medium length action or standard long action. I’ve looked at Defiance, terminus, Zermatt, and WTO actions. Need some input on this. Thanks

Long. Here are OALs to the lands in my X-Caliber prefit. Works great in my Tikka, more of a medium action.

Attachments

• PXL_20211130_031610189.jpg
    PXL_20211130_031610189.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 139
I run 284 on a Stiller P1000 long action. Seating long high bc bullets can benefit with a longer action

Medium would probably be ideal for the 284, but long works fine too (provided it is tuned well to feed the rebated case, or have a Mauser type extractor) had tikka with 3.5” mag length (no problems), mausingfield la cip length (no problems) and archimedes la (occasional feed issue). The coal in the different 3 barrels ranged from 3.18-3.255 so realistically the medium is probably a better fit if you can find a chassis you like and get the xm magazines

If you’re only going to shoot factory ammo

If those factory rounds fit in a specific sized magazine

If this rifle will only ever be used for that purpose

If you need this to get under a weight limit

If the response to all of those statements is “yes”, then choose one of the medium length actions

If your response is “no” to any of them, a long action is more versatile and probably makes more sense

Found this while researching for my 284 build. I had one around 2010 built on a LA but I had to make mag spacers (much like the Dasher kits for SA) even with a long freebore. I've got a TL3 medium coming and I'm hoping it'll be the ticket. Just really bumping this to see if anyone has built a straight 284 on the newer medium actions out now.

I have one in process, need barrel still but magazine’s are long enough and test feeding works fine.

My advice and 1.80 USD will get you a soda.

Since you are doing .284 Win, I would suggest standard long action. That way, if you ever decide to go 7 mm PRC, you are ready to go, just swap the barrel. Which you could also do with a .300 WM.

Solid advice, I'm not a big fan of the big boomers. If I ever decide I need more than the 284 can give me I'll go to a 7 saum which I almost did this time. Looking for something to hunt long range with a shoot NRL hunter without burning barrels down to fast.

Reactions: Ronws
My advice and 1.80 USD will get you a soda.

Since you are doing .284 Win, I would suggest standard long action. That way, if you ever decide to go 7 mm PRC, you are ready to go, just swap the barrel. Which you could also do with a .300 WM.
And the bolt.

Reactions: Ronws