• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.284 Winchester? What do you guys think?

KPK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2009
Oklahoma
I'm thinking about building one on a Surgeon 1086 long action. What do you guys think? I'll reload with 6.5-284 Lapua brass necked up to .284, RL17, and 168/180 Berger VLD's.

What's your opinion? Weird? Good idea? Mainly for long range target and hunting, deer, elk, etc.

Re: .284 Winchester? What do you guys think?

Proably the best caliber you choose for everything from long range target/tactical work to hunting up to elk/moose size game at long range. I think this is the most under estimated or overlooked caliber out there. I also think the big 7mm bullets are also the ultimate choice for that type of work when staying in the 30cal and under. Good choice and good luck.

Sounds good, i have done a lot of reading up on 284Win and from all accounts it will do what you want it to. I ordered a 284win pacnor savage prefit barel last week.

I just had 2 of them built. I sent the stocks off to be finish. I think you made a good choice in calibers.

although im quite partial to the .284 win myself, another possibility is the .280/.280 AI remington

Thanks for all the encouraging posts! Seems like a sound choice! I was originally doing a 260, but just don't think its heavy enough for the long shots...Any load info on the 284?

Dar, who did your builds?

Chickeneye, I was originally thinking of the 280 ai, but the lapua brass is so much easier to neck up to 284, and I've heard nosler brass doesn't compare. Also I want to seat the vld's way out and not have to worry about oal as much. Am I missing anything I should know?? I'm new to the custom rifles and odd cals!

The .284 win long action set up is gaining a lot of popularity especially for the bench rest shooters. I just picked up my APA build a month ago and love it. They'd throat it for 162 a-max,load with H4350 at 52 gr(2860 fps) OAL 3.12, very accurate,light recoil and flat.
I'm using Winchester brass,but working on necking up the Lapua 6.5-284 brass.I'm still working on load development and will try RL-17.
As stated above it's good all around round for target,long range and hunting.You won't be disappoint with the .284.

A thread about .284 not too long ago.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...242#Post2104242

I bought all the parts and had a friend of mine in Ark. put it together. I built mine on a short action 7500 Lawton single feed action with a Masters Stock. Todd Jackson is clear coating the stocks. It is a tight neck chamber. Use PTG reamer made for the loaded round I sent them. It took about 8 weeks to get the reamer but I think it is worth it. I built these strictly for an F-Class rig but do think it would make a great tactical round.

What would be the best combo to make a dumby round for a PTG reamer? Would 168's or 180's be better? How much was it, if you don't mind me asking?

In a long action would you guys step up to the 280 ai? Could you neck down the 30-06 lapua and fireform the shoulder?

I'd start with 4831sc. R-17 does give more velocity, but accuracy was not there. I shoot the 162 amax, 175 match king and 168 berger all with single digit SD. Jared Joplin favors the A-max as the best do it all bullit.

start with 41grs rl17 and work up with 162, i was able to find a accuracy node at 3030fps with amax and 54gr rl17 but my coal is 3.25 and it was borderline hot so work up slowly.

Well boys got my action and will be buying a barrel shortly. Think I'm going with a Rock, but I don't know what contour. I don't want so heavy I can't carry it in the mountains, but I don't want it a pencil either. If I was shooting for 10-12 lbs with a mcm a5 stock what contour would be up my ally? Also should I got with 26 or 28" barrel?

IMG_0616.jpg

go with a 26 inch barrel. Your contour should be a rem sendero fluted. That would be about perfect for your requirements.

Rem Sendero contour might be to heavy if you are going to carry it all day in the mountains. I would use a #5 fluted for a 26" barrel build.

Well I'm in Oklahoma so it won't be alot of mountain packing, but I just don't want a 20 lb gun. I'm thinking the sendero would be good. I really like the M24...would it be way too heavy?

I run a .284 in a long action 700. I used a .284 GAP match reamer: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=971496

The GAP match reamer is set up for a .284 winchester loaded with a 175 SMK loaded to 3.1" OAL so the only thing sticking below the neck-shoulder junction is the boat tail, maximizing case capacity.

Using RL17, I can shoot one-hole groups at 2850fps extreme spread of 21 and standard deviation of 7 fps. I use lapua 6.5-284 brass necked up using a .277 expander (I just swapped the one from my 6.8 spc dies) first and then going to .284.

It's the rifle in the middle below:

DSCF0037Medium.jpg