• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 2MOA Easy?

SteveG66

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2014
Indiana
Hey hide, this is an easy one for you guys I'm sure but I'm just stumped.

I have a Leupold 3-9x33 EFR scope I just took off my .22 squirrel gun. While looking at the scope, inspecting the turrets I noted under the caps that it says 2 MOA, this is the coin slot style.

So what exactly does the 2 MOA mean??.

Thanks for helping a noob neophyte like me.

Have a great day,
SteveG

Not having much luck posting a picture, I have found a photo from another forum but not feeling right hyperlinking another forum. Rather than the turret saying 1/4" @100 yds, it simply has a scale of 1-10 and 2 moa. I assume each "mark" is 1/4" and one full rotation is 2 moa?

Well anyways, it's not like i'm going to be using this to adjust for windage or elevation :) It just peaked my curiosity and thought it strange.

Steve

Hey hide, this is an easy one for you guys I'm sure but I'm just stumped.

I have a Leupold 3-9x33 EFR scope I just took off my .22 squirrel gun. While looking at the scope, inspecting the turrets I noted under the caps that it says 2 MOA, this is the coin slot style.

So what exactly does the 2 MOA mean??.

Thanks for helping a noob neophyte like me.

Have a great day,
SteveG
The standard adjustments on Leupold 3-9X[33] EFRs' used to be the "friction-type", which as you know is what you have. Not very precise but they work OK. I have several old school (gloss finish) 3-9X[33] EFRs' but only one of them still has the friction-type adjustments as I had Premier Reticles upgrade the adjustments to either the Tall Target Turrets or 1/4 MOA "Coin Click" adjustments when I bought the scopes back in the day. As JMGlasgow suggested a photo would have been nice for reference, but it really isn't necessary at this point because I'm sure that your friction-type Dials are exactly like the Dials on my scope.

Anyway, both the Elevation and Windage Turrets have 10 MOA per revolution, but the Dials are only marked every 2 MOA (Minute-of-Angle), (presumably to keep the dials less cluttered). It just so happens that the "MOA" acronym just happens to be printed closest to the number "2" on the Dials. For reference, below is a photo of the friction-type Elevation Dial on a 3-9X[33] EFR.

"Friction-type" Elevation Dial on Leupold 3-9X[33] EFR scope:

Keith

Keith, Thanks for your information and that is exactly what I have.....I appreciate your help. I have tried several times to update this thread and with pictures but I get a response indicating that my reply will need to be approved by a moderator, so that's why I havent include pics..

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.
Steve

My "new" Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40 is the same way and got me as well the first time I looked at it. It is also friction type. As mentioned, the "2" and the "MOA" are separate. Each mark represents 1/2 MOA in the picture. BTW, these friction types allow for a nice zero since you are not limited to 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 MOA clicks. I use it on an M40 SSA and can shoot out to 500 yards just using the Rifleman Reticle holdovers. Works rather well and gives me a good understanding how important the zero was for Marines that used 3-9x40 friction type Redfield scopes in Vietnam.

Last edited by a moderator:
The standard adjustments on Leupold 3-9X[33] EFRs' used to be the "friction-type", which as you know is what you have. Not very precise but they work OK. I have several old school (gloss finish) 3-9X[33] EFRs' but only one of them still has the friction-type adjustments as I had Premier Reticles upgrade the adjustments to either the Tall Target Turrets or 1/4 MOA "Coin Click" adjustments when I bought the scopes back in the day. As JMGlasgow suggested a photo would have been nice for reference, but it really isn't necessary at this point because I'm sure that your friction-type Dials are exactly like the Dials on my scope.

Anyway, both the Elevation and Windage Turrets have 10 MOA per revolution, but the Dials are only marked every 2 MOA (Minute-of-Angle), (presumably to keep the dials less cluttered). It just so happens that the "MOA" acronym just happens to be printed closest to the number "2" on the Dials. For reference, below is a photo of the friction-type Elevation Dial on a 3-9X[33] EFR.

"Friction-type" Elevation Dial on Leupold 3-9X[33] EFR scope:

Keith

That shows 12 MOA per revolution. Not to be a dick or anything. Just saying.

That shows 12 MOA per revolution. Not to be a dick or anything. Just saying.
You're not being a dick, you're right. Good catch and correction. I have to take off my glasses or peer over the top of them to see that close and was focusing on the "big" number. Thanks for pointing that out. The 3-9X[33] EFR has 12 MOA per revolution, NOT 10.

Keith

Great catch, I guess I didnt look at it close enough either. Thanks for pointing that out, I wasnt thinking about you being a dick when I read your response, I was thinking: "damn, these guys don't miss anything!!!"

Thanks again for everyones help, it all makes sense.

Steve