• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 3-18 vs 4.5-27 razor for PRS22 build

King_beardsly

MMPRL & Low Dollar Precision
Minuteman
  • Jun 12, 2018
    Beast Coast
    I’m looking to add an other razor to the rotation and put it on my new 22 build for PRS22, I don’t know if want to match my centerfire with the 4.5-27 or just do the 3-18 since I don’t need the top end magnification for the shorter distances. I thought about the strike eagle 5-25 to save a few bucks but I’ve heard mixed things about them.

I’m looking to add an other razor to the rotation and put it on my new 22 build for PRS22, I don’t know if want to match my centerfire with the 4.5-27 or just do the 3-18 since I don’t need the top end magnification for the shorter distances. I thought about the strike eagle 5-25 to save a few bucks but I’ve heard mixed things about them.

Between the two I’d go with the 3-18, but honestly I wouldn’t use either. I like more mag than 18x for shooting small groups on paper or tiny steel targets and my 4.5-27 is not parallax free at 25yds even when I turn the mag way down.

Love my G2 Razors, just wouldn’t be my top choice for a 22. Perhaps the AMG if you want to stay with the Vortex reticles.

Reactions: MakeSawdust
    The 3-18x is usually enough magnification for matches and what I have used on my Vudoo for a few years. I did swap over to the SE when they came out to put it through it's paces and it has performed well. The 4.5-27 will work fine at 25 yards if you drop the power down to around 18x or so. I used one for a few matches too. Tough decision but if you had to pick one I would say the 3-18x would be a solid choice.

I was just about to start a thread along the same lines but if you don't mind will just ask my question here.

Vortex lists the 3-18 as being 2 oz lighter than the 4.5-27. Size and weight wise, are they really that close to the same scope?

Yeah they are similar but the 3-18 has a 50mm objective.

Reactions: erslll
    I keep thinking that I want the 3-18 for a somewhat compact 308 AR but if the size difference isn't that much, 4.5-27 would be that much better since I not real worried about the low end of the magnification. I have a 4.5-27 already but don't think I have ever handled a 3-18.

I was just about to start a thread along the same lines but if you don't mind will just ask my question here.

Vortex lists the 3-18 as being 2 oz lighter than the 4.5-27. Size and weight wise, are they really that close to the same scope?
    It’s all good

Reactions: erslll
    If you practice you can hit targets with the parallax set wrong. Most targets seem to be past 30 yds. It is rare in the matches I have shot to shoot much closer than that. I have a SE 5-25 and an AMG. I would not use the SE for anything serious. It is a full featured scope, but not good enough optically to win a match in switchy winds. I can see the bullets fly through an xtr ii and a midas tac 4-16(and of course the stuff that is better than that). I have not been able to see them consistently through the SE. I tested tracking on it, and it tracked 9.9 mils to get 10 mils of adjustment, so pretty good for a Chinese optic. If shooting at 200 yds or less the SE would probably be okay. The glass quality is going to hold you back some at extended ranges or when targets don't have a backdrop to see bullet splash.

Honestly don’t feel held back at all with the Strike Eagle. Shot it in matches out past 300 and on my own to 500. Different eye sight can change that I am sure but I wear glasses and not a youngster anymore. LOL

I’ve got a gen1 athlon ares btr sitting in a box, so that might be the place holder glass till I get it figured out.

Honestly don’t feel held back at all with the Strike Eagle. Shot it in matches out past 300 and on my own to 500. Different eye sight can change that I am sure but I wear glasses and not a youngster anymore. LOL
    Sample variation? I have only looked through one. Do I need to send it in for inspection?

My vote would be the 3-18 just because it parallaxes closer than the 4.5-25. We shoot playing cards at some matches at 20-25 yards and with the 3-18 i have no issues seeing the card on edge. The 4.5 was definitly tougher to see.

I came back to post that I messed with the diopter some more on the SE and the resolution got a ton better. I had already spent a lot of time messing with it, but it wasn't good enough yet. I still feel like there is a shitload of CA. My steel is painted white and unless the parallax is PERFECT there is a ton of haze around the white target and nothing else. Also, my 150 yd target at my house is against tall grass. After adjusting the diopter, I was able to see the bullet and make wind corrections even when I had no feedback in the form of splash.

I just though I should update this and give credit where credit is due.

Reactions: Rob01
    Tough call, parallax is the big issue between the two for me on a .22 Some matches will have very small targets in the 15-25yd range where parallax might matter. That said you can usually dial down the power to compensate, and really at 15-20yds I'm not sure I've ever felt the need for 20x or more. I probably wouldn't put either one on a dedicated .22 comp gun. If it was a trainer then sure run the exact same optic and accept the parallax issue at super short distances. For a pure 22 comp gun I'd want something with a < 25 yd parallax. It's one reason the Strike Eagle is so popular for 22's, huge elevation adjustment if you don't use the zero stop, pretty good optics, 15yd parallax and possibly the same reticle as your Razor's. Is it as optically amazing and durable as a Razor....for 1/3 of the price of course not. The athlon Midas Tac is popular for 22 as well with its 10yd parallax compared to the Ares/Cronus that are 25yd. Bushnell Match Pro - 10yd, etc. which I believe was designed specifically for NRL22 work.

On any other rifle I'd definitely say the 4.5-27x. Almost the same price, weight etc. you can always dial the 4.5-27 down to 18, but you can't dial a 3-18x up to 27x. I'd also bet the 4.5-27x is better optically at 18x than the 3-18x is. Zoom optics are almost always best optically in the middle of their power ranges compared to the extremes.

Also when everyone starts using 10-15yd parallax optics matches might get tricky and put super close shots on, so it's never a bad idea to practice beyond the limits of the parallax. Archery 3D shoots used to be that way, they'd set up a 2 yard shot and guys with all kinds of fancy sights would completely blow it.