• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

3 best shooting bags?

smokinbobf4

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
So I am looking to maybe do a prs match down the road. I do not have anything near me to go try it and see what other people have or use but would like to practice some before I go. My thoughts are a good front bag ( leaning towards the game changer pint), some type of pump pillow (maybe WieBad), and I have a cylinder style rear bag but am not that into it. Seems like i can never quite get the right height. Can also say that when prone I am lower to the ground than most. Is there a good starting point for this without trying a bunch? I wish I could but it’s just not in the cards.

Reactions: lead.rain
I'm curious on this as well. Will love to hear what people have to say.

I don't think you can go wrong with a pint-size GameChanger, mini fortune cookie or a bag from warhorse development. Like a saracen or Comanche even the Clyde

I've had all the game changers except the grippy and my favorite of them is the OG waxed canvas. I like how the rifle sits down in it unlike the pint size where it just kinda sits on top. For me that holds the rifle a lot more stable.

Other than that a big pump pillow comes in handy as well as a smaller pillow. I'm still using the same the Wiebad Todd tac pad which I believe is the original pillow style bag and it works great as a rear bag when the game changer is too chunky and any time you need a smaller pillow than the pump pillow.

Reactions: R.Walters
Any comments as far as all around use of the pint vs full size came changer? I’m sure none are do all, but can one do a greater percentage of things? I can see how having the gun settle in more would be more stable though as mentioned above.

OG waxed canvas here. Tried the heavy pint and it was too stiff. The sticky sucks IMO.
The OG is more versatile as a rear support as well when more height is needed.
You'll be able to use a wax canvas for many years before the bag holds you back

Reactions: smokinbobf4
Interesting thread...

I'm not at all updated with what the latest and greatest bags are. If I had to guess though, we're gonna see a lot recommending game changer and precision underground stuff...

What's everyone say?

I use the pint size heavy fill for front and rear
A friend has the pint & full size
full size rarely gets used .

So I am looking to maybe do a prs match down the road. I do not have anything near me to go try it and see what other people have or use but would like to practice some before I go. My thoughts are a good front bag ( leaning towards the game changer pint), some type of pump pillow (maybe WieBad), and I have a cylinder style rear bag but am not that into it. Seems like i can never quite get the right height. Can also say that when prone I am lower to the ground than most. Is there a good starting point for this without trying a bunch? I wish I could but it’s just not in the cards.
maybe just go to a match and borrow some bags see what you like most shooters are very helpful I've borrowed and loaned at match's

maybe just go to a match and borrow some bags see what you like most shooters are very helpful I've borrowed and loaned at match's

i would like to practice first with some bags and the other problem is there are no matches that are very close to me otherwise I would do that

Reactions: I SHOOT
Fortune cookie and a pump pillow. Add a mini fortune cookie for the odd stage where a full size doesn’t work. The FC and mini FC both can pull double duty as a rear bag on the rare stage where you can prone out.

Reactions: DMP
A rear bag of your choice and a small barricade bag like the Wiebad Mini Fortune Cookie.

Keep it simple.

What are some of the benefits of the game changer vs fortune cookie?

OG game changer! I’d recently replaced the fill with Git-Lite and now it’s only 2lbs. It was just over 6lbs with the original fill. I’ve only shot 1 match with the new fill but I feel no perceived loss in stability.

I am a self professed bag whore and have tried a shit ton of everything out there. Whether it be front or rear, the bag is a critical piece of your kit. I carry all of these in my rolling range rig
  1. Gamechanger by Reasor - I have seen the Armageddon one and they are nice but I bought this when it was made by Reasor and it is a fucking staple.
  2. Clutch by Reasor - No longer made and an example of a great idea marketed incorrectly. This was a pair of bags that could be linked together. Sold to be used as a system. Bad idea. Fact is they are two great bags used by themselves and very versatile. They are rectangular and wedge shaped units that are very heavy and stable.
  3. Precision Underground ELR - Great rear bag.
  4. Wiebad Pump Pillow - Shit tons of uses. I love using it as a firing arm support structure when seated using a tripod
  5. Traust - It is somewhat flimsy meaning not filled like others. However, when you need something squishy...it has no equal
I don't honestly think there is one or two that will fill all of your scenarios. However, there are probably a couple of bags that can solve 80% of everyone's use cases. I admit that I don't use all of the ones I carry equally

Reactions: carbonbased
I am a self professed bag whore and have tried a shit ton of everything out there. Whether it be front or rear, the bag is a critical piece of your kit. I carry all of these in my rolling range rig
  1. Gamechanger by Reasor - I have seen the Armageddon one and they are nice but I bought this when it was made by Reasor and it is a fucking staple.
  2. Clutch by Reasor - No longer made and an example of a great idea marketed incorrectly. This was a pair of bags that could be linked together. Sold to be used as a system. Bad idea. Fact is they are two great bags used by themselves and very versatile. They are rectangular and wedge shaped units that are very heavy and stable.
  3. Precision Underground ELR - Great rear bag.
  4. Wiebad Pump Pillow - Shit tons of uses. I love using it as a firing arm support structure when seated using a tripod
  5. Traust - It is somewhat flimsy meaning not filled like others. However, when you need something squishy...it has no equal
I don't honestly think there is one or two that will fill all of your scenarios. However, there are probably a couple of bags that can solve 80% of everyone's use cases. I admit that I don't use all of the ones I carry equally

Good info. Thank you!

Anybody know which bag this one is?

20200222_210327.png

I don't hear people talk about them but I have a tacky sack from thunder bird long range. I like it better then the game changers and some of the other bags I've used. Just get one bag like that and don't worry about the rest until you get to a match to try them out.

Reactions: BillyTee
What are some of the benefits of the game changer vs fortune cookie?

Functionally they are very similar. I only own the fortune cookies, both the "regular" and mini version, and they very stable on barricades. I can't imagine the game changer is functionally any better then the fortune cookie.

I just take the mini to comps now. Saves on weight and size and provides plenty of stability on barricades.

Functionally they are very similar. I only own the fortune cookies, both the "regular" and mini version, and they very stable on barricades. I can't imagine the game changer is functionally any better then the fortune cookie.

I just take the mini to comps now. Saves on weight and size and provides plenty of stability on barricades.

Well said. It’s like buying a pair of boots.

People may recommend red wing over danner boots. But the decision to buy isnt made until you go try them on, get the right size and walk around the store.

Both bags are great but one might be better than the other for you.

I have a waxed canvas pint size gamechanger that works great for me as a barricade and rear bag. The OG gamechanger is a little more stable as a barricade bag but more difficult for me to use as a rear bag. I couple that with a cole-tac cuddle bag, it's just a little bigger than a pump pillow for my 6' 4" frame, and the quality is top notch.

More good stuff! I’m getting closer to deciding. Is a pump pillow or similar something good to have? Seems like it could really help fill those voids but have never used one. Maybe it is not a necessity? Also not a lot on rear bags? Just pick one and go? Is there a certain size that would work well for a 6-9 and a 9-13 bipod?

Lots of guys just use whatever they have up front as a rear bag, one less to carry around.

Waxed sticky pint size for barricades, have a traust refilled with heavy beads for a rear bag

More good stuff! I’m getting closer to deciding. Is a pump pillow or similar something good to have? Seems like it could really help fill those voids but have never used one. Maybe it is not a necessity? Also not a lot on rear bags? Just pick one and go? Is there a certain size that would work well for a 6-9 and a 9-13 bipod?

I own a LOT of bags, including a pump pillow.

I only take two bags to matches now: mini-fortune cookie and a rear bag.

I hate carrying around too much stuff, and sometimes it's beneficial to have less gear with you: your strategy to tackle stages will become a lot simpler, which often leads to better scores.

I will say that the people that I see that usually struggle most with stage management are the ones who have too much gear.

Keep it simple.

Reactions: I SHOOT
A pint-size heavy fill Gamechanger will do 99% of what you need. I use mine as front support on barricades/whatever and as a rear bag as well. If just getting one bag, that's what I'd go with. I also use a Fat Bag (AG's "pump pillow") which comes in handy at times for sure but you could easily shoot a match with just the pint-size (and I have).

I will say go to a match with just a rear bag. Borrow other stuff and try before you buy. 999 out of 1,000 experienced shooters will be happy to help you

I’ve probably spent $1,000 or more on bags trying stuff. What I own now:

Wiebad Whiskey Charlie Max: 16lbs. Heavy AF, but it’s stable as you’ll ever get

Wiebad Whiskey Charlie Mini: it’s something like 4 or 6lb sand. Probably the best universal bag I have

WieBad standard fill fortune cookie: I prefer this as a rear bag over the mini

WieBad Pump Pillow: don’t use it much, but it’s light and is nice when you need to fill in space.

During matches I either carry the 16lb or the 6lb bag. Definitely not both. If there are porthole stages I’ll carry the small one. Normal barricade stuff and I use the 16.

If I carry the small one, I’ll either carry the regular fill fortune cookie or borrow one during a prone stage. The small one is too short for me to properly use as a rear bag.

If a stage(s) look like I could use it, I’ll carry the pump pillow. Otherwise I leave it behind.

I shoot at least 90% of stages with only a single bag. So I typically only carry one bag with me during a match.

This is all very helpful! Thanks for al the opinions so far. I think I will decide between a game changer or fortune cookie in either regular or mini and just practice with that before I buy any others.

This is all very helpful! Thanks for al the opinions so far. I think I will decide between a game changer or fortune cookie in either regular or mini and just practice with that before I buy any others.
Do you have any shooting buddies that have shot matches? Have somebody put you on a timer for practice at the range.

I have a friend who is a bit ahead of me in long range shooting and is just as interested as I am. He has not done any matches yet either. But our plan is to set some barricades up on a timer and do some practicing.

I use three bags at matches.

A rear bag- Doesn't have to be fancy. I use a large TAB gear bag, but I like the ones from SAP, Traust, and CP Rifle as well.

A "positional" bag- Bison Tactical Tac Udder, Game changer, or a Wiebad fortune cookie. Choose what flavor you like.

A large "pillow" bag- Again, choose your flavor. I use a traust.

Honestly I think with good fundamentals you can get away with using just a rear bag and/or a positional bag 95% of the time. There's definitely situations where the pillow will come in handy but I've never encountered a stage that would've broken me if I didn't use it.

Imagining and testing are 2 different things. I have a pint sized waxed canvas heavy fill game changer and a full size fortune cookie in front of me as I am typing this. On the standing position on a skills stage 2 barricade I can hold .05 mil wobble with the game changer and .2 with the fortune cookie. I attribute this to a combo of the waxed canvas and heavy fill tho not the actual shape of the bag.

we have had luck with tab bags https://www.tabgear.com/products/rear-bag

still to want to try a pint sized game changer from

and something different a modified lab jack the bag rider slides in a self made groove its has its moments where its a pain in the ass but when it works well its far nicer than the other bags that i have tried at least in being the exact height i want when i want and need it as its adjustable not to mention it was a hell of a lot less money than any of the other bags i have comming in at 10 dollars + shipping and time spent modifying it . Good luck finding your bag which ever brand you choose .

Front & rear bag: Wiebad WC MFC w/ sand fill
Front & rear when weight is a concern: AG OG Gamechanger w/ Git-Lite fill
'Pillow' bag: Wiebad Behemoth/Traust Positional Bag

Tab Gear Large Rear Bag - My 1st bag and still my favorite as rear bag. For my 1st few matches I used it as a front bag too. it worked but not the best choice. As a rear bag I love it.
Pint size Waxed GC - Use it 30-40% of the time. Not much to add that has not been said already. Solid all-around bag.
Tactical Udder Fat Boy - I'm liking this bag more and more every time I use it. Very versatile but it is on the larger size. Also got the dual fill system but have not used it yet.
Precision Underground Recon Mini - I had high hopes with this one to use as a front bag but it just didn't work out for me. It's a high quality bag that and the owner is awesome to deal with.

The three bags I use the most are the red tac rear bag, the gamechanger, and the no name tactical positional pillow. I also have a no name tactical rear bag that I use very very rarely but still keep it with me just in case.

Get out to a match, whenever they start back up, and just shoot with what you have. There will be plenty of shooters that will want to help you progress and learn. Rather than breaking down all the opinions and reviews, just see what everyone is using in actual shoots around you and pick their brain and see why the shooters like that and it will save a lot of headaches. I have a problem of over researching things, so I had to learn to resort to this lol.

You can get everything done with two bags.
1. Wiebad Fortune Cookie (full size)
2. Wiebad Pump Pillow
In reality you can do the majority of PRS stages with the fortune cookie only. NRL22 is a great proving ground for bag use as they only allow one bag per stage. I also have the small fortune cookie and I find myself almost never using it but it does have its advantages on certain stages.

Reactions: sys700