• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 3-gun guys

SnkBit

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2009
Amarillo, TX.
What are you using for carbine optics and why? What are the positives and what negatives to your particular set up?

Re: 3-gun guys

Swarovski Z6i BRT 1-6x here. Why because its simply the best glass for the game.
1. Great glass thats super clear,
2. Excellent daylight illumination that makes it nearly as fast on 1x as shooting an AImpoint.
3. Simple and easy to use reticle in mils for hold overs with wind marks.
It is the most popular scope right now with the pros.
It does have a con though. Its expensive.
NoveskeRogueHunter.jpg

The glass did well for me at a championship match last week where I took 2nd in open and overall. What helped in my standing was a stage win on the long range rifle stage. It was overcast and rainy but I could see the targets clear as day.
Pat

It looks like you're using an aimpoint as well, I assume for the very close shots. Is it quite a bit quicker to acquire those targets with the aimpoint versus the swaro even on low power? I've used aimpoints and eotechs but never a low magnification scope such as the swaro. Im curious if you give up enough with the scope to warrant running the aimpoint as well?

I generally only use the Aimpoint when I have to shoot close targets while moving or if I have to go from 2-6x then to a close target or vice versa. This is set up for open division. When I run tactical the bipod comes off and the scope cover goes on the Aimpoint. The Swarovski is very fast up close and if the stage is all close I generally just use the scope. Just depends on the stage. Basically on 1x the target is much clearer and you have a lot more field of view using the Swaro. However the Aimpoint is easier to get your intitial sight picture with because its eye box is a lot more forgiving. So on stages where I can shoot stationary I use the scope if I am running and hosing I use the red dot.
Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SnkBit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like you're using an aimpoint as well, I assume for the very close shots. Is it quite a bit quicker to acquire those targets with the aimpoint versus the swaro even on low power? I've used aimpoints and eotechs but never a low magnification scope such as the swaro. Im curious if you give up enough with the scope to warrant running the aimpoint as well? </div></div>

You won't want to run a red dot as well unless you plan on shooting in open a fun but expensive division. Open allows you to have multiple optics on the rifle, magazine fed shotguns with optics and comps and pistols with optics and cops and 30 round mags (170mm) Most shooters are in Tac Optics which only allows 1 optic on the rifle, tube fed shotguns with no speed loaders or optics or comps and pistols with no comps or optics with 20 to 22 round mags (140mm length)>
Pat

S&B 1-4 Short Dot.

The dot is also FFP so its friggin huge at 4X. The only other con is that it is only a 4X. More than enough for just about everything in our game.

Vortex PST 1-4. I have been running this for 6 months and love it. At the AR15 comp this year at RockCastle, there were 2 stages with targets at 10 feet, and then 3-4 more at 200 yards. I had no problem blowing through them....actually, they were my best stages.

I have been using the Bushnell 1x6.5 BRT 2 reticle and really like it. The illumination is not as bright as the new Vortex 1x6. but the glass is very clear and have not had any problems. Got it for under $1200 delivered.

I have the 1-6 Vortex Razor I ran the 1-4 Razor and I still like it very much.
The New 1-6 has a bright red dot that is small enough to still let you see and hit steel targets over 100 yards with the red dot on.
The only thing the SwarO 1-6 has on it is the wind holds. The Vortex warranty and the price give the Razor the Cut over the SwarO.
I shoot under the Vortex flag , But I was sold on Razor glass before the invitation to the team.
VortexRazor1-6Aug-2012002.jpg

Jamie Foote

I just started using a Swaro Z61 BRT last month and have no regrets on the price I paid. I can say that having a true 1x is more important than high magnification to me. I was using a Burris XTR 1-4 and had no problems with long range steel at Tx. Multigun as well as other matches. The XTR is a great scope for 3 gun as well as the Vortex that Jaimie is describing. You have good options from the $300 Burris MTAC to the $2400 Swarovski so you can buy with confidence. The important part is learning what your holdovers are for whatever scope you buy and start practicing.

Have you checked out the Weaver 1-5 FFP? I have a few in stock and REALLY like it... wish I would've swapped the PST 1-4 for the Weaver in the last 3 gun shoot I ran a few weeks ago. Better glass, illumination, and while I like the reticle of the PST better, the Weaver is much easier to acquire with the FFP at max magnification.

I love the PST for sure, but I've been more than impressed with the Weaver and really like it! If interested drop me a PM and we'll get you a good price on one.
wink.gif

Mike