• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30-06 any love anymore?

The same guy craping on a 30-06 will praise the .308 Win and the 300 win mag. They all push the same pill just at different velocity’s and of course different recoil and action size/ weight of gear. Are there better long range precision rounds ? Yes , some are much better. 30-06 sits between the .308 win and 300 win mag in velocity and recoil. I hear very few wanting to retire either of these fine cartridge chooses. I shoot 30 cal 1906 at whatever I don’t want to blood trail, it’s a killer! The best? Time will tell... or has it already.

308 lol. IMO it's good for goofing off with cheap cased ammo and that's about all I'd do with it. And by 300WM you mean 300PRC right?

Screenshot_20191101-211633.png

Screenshot_20191101-205104.png

I Don’t see how you couldn’t get a 30-06 shooting really well. The quality of reloading components, reloading information, modern actions, barrels, high quality stocks and bedding techniques and other ancillary gear (quality scopes, bipods, etc) means an amazingly well shooting 30-06 is entirely possible to build. A great hunting round as well.

but why go with big kicking, powder hungry long action 30-06 when any number of 6 or 6.5mm chamberings will deliver same performance for less powder, less recoil over the same ranges?

No 6 or 6.5 is going to deliver the same energy on target as a 30-06. At any range. Bullet diameter/energy = better kill rate.

Liberator52 said:
Don't want to hi-jack this thread , but, what is a Serengetti [sp] chamber ? Thanks.
VSP968
Old World Asshole
Belligerents said:

It’s an old people chamber designed by an old guy for geriatrics so they can shoot their antique rifles with big modern bullets.:

7FC62639-503C-4341-B8C2-42636A1DF982.png

That's perfect for me then ! (y) Thanks !

Started out on a 06 as a kiddo, been through a lot of different rifles and barrels since then.

Would i recommend you go buy one? Probably not my first choice.
But i still have mine. I have had barrels picked out in carts waiting for checkout. And i go shoot it again just to see if it tempts me enough to pull the tube.... and its still a 3006 lol
yes they can shoot marvelous.
Especially if you hand load. Running a mild load of hybrid100v and berger190 and the thing just wont shoot bad.

As a guide i wish people would just bring something they are good with instead of the latest and greatest and spray the hillside with inept firepower.
Yep. New stuff is more efficient. But any cartridge can be made to shoot well.
Nope this isnt a match grade group. But it is a rifle bought for 150 bucks 18 years ago with bulk thrown powder and cheap remmy brass. Screenshot_20191107-221648_Range Buddy.jpg

Reactions: lash
been doing some testing for a general purpose rifle and with a 22 inch proof barrel along with Reloader 26 I can get 3000fps with no pressure signs. I can push the 190 Berger at almost 2900 with no pressure as stated before but I have 1000 178 ELDM/Amax so why not use them. My Tooter Meredith 308 shoots the 178 at 2760fps with the varget so I am going to shoot both and call it good.

I have a GAP 6.5 Creedmore and 6mm Creedmore which both have Proof barrels also but this 30 06 is kind of like the creedmore but for men! :whistle:

Lol! Great use of facts to throw the argument your way. I’ve seen this tactic so often as to find it humorous. Use a hand loaded heavy for caliber high BC bullet for your fave and compare to the middle of the ground bullet at factory box speeds for the opponent. oh, yeah. Use the eld-m 147 and the eld-x 178. Look at that! The numbers don’t lie!

And...the best 6.5, 147g, using you muzzle velocities of 2700 FPS and 2910 FPS.

First off, 2910 FPS 147s? Out of what round and barrel? Consistent sd? A usable load?
I don't have a dog in this fight, but you really need to read more carefully. roamin posted factory load data, not exaggerated handloads.

The 147's at 2910 were from 6.5 PRC, not CM. Not saying that people don't fudge numbers for their favorite cartridge but this isn't one of those times.

Reactions: TheChief
I don't have a dog in this fight, but you really need to read more carefully. roamin posted factory load data, not exaggerated handloads.

The 147's at 2910 were from 6.5 PRC, not CM. Not saying that people don't fudge numbers for their favorite cartridge but this isn't one of those times.
Okay, fair point taken. Did he say 6.5 PRC? Didn’t see that. I should have thrown in something from ‘06 improved. :cool:

Energy on target is still the valid argument however. Why do most hunters who have a .30-06 have one? Well, if it wasn’t just because they inherited it, then it’s likely due to the fact that it is good to have along for any North American game. But then I already discussed that.

Are there better rounds for most anything it does now out? Sure...yawn...
There will be three more introduced at shot, if recent history repeats.

Okay, fair point taken. Did he say 6.5 PRC? Didn’t see that. I should have thrown in something from ‘06 improved. :cool:

Energy on target is still the valid argument however. Why do most hunters who have a .30-06 have one? Well, if it wasn’t just because they inherited it, then it’s likely due to the fact that it is good to have along for any North American game. But then I already discussed that.

Are there better rounds for most anything it does now out? Sure...yawn...
There will be three more introduced at shot, if recent history repeats.
Yeah he said 6.5 PRC. And using only factory loads is probably the most relevant way to make comparisons, even though we forget it on this site, most people are shooting box ammo. Especially hunters, who are arguably the biggest group of 30-06 users there are. As far as why so many hunters use 30-06? Because their grandpa told them to. In a generation all the fudds will be recommending 6.5CM and all the young whippersnappers will be using something more advanced.

Just today I had a big 30-06 proponent telling me anything less wouldn't kill a deer very well. I asked if 7.62x63mm would be acceptable and he said absolutely not. I've done this enough times to be certain that the average hunter knows almost nothing about anything, so when people point to what hunters use like its some sort of scientific data point I usually fail to be impressed.

Yeah he said 6.5 PRC. And using only factory loads is probably the most relevant way to make comparisons, even though we forget it on this site, most people are shooting box ammo. Especially hunters, who are arguably the biggest group of 30-06 users there are. As far as why so many hunters use 30-06? Because their grandpa told them to. In a generation all the fudds will be recommending 6.5CM and all the young whippersnappers will be using something more advanced.

Just today I had a big 30-06 proponent telling me anything less wouldn't kill a deer very well. I asked if 7.62x63mm would be acceptable and he said absolutely not. I've done this enough times to be certain that the average hunter knows almost nothing about anything, so when people point to what hunters use like its some sort of scientific data point I usually fail to be impressed.
I think the .30-.30 has the most deer kills in the US. That's it I'am selling my creedmoor and .300win mag and I'am gitting a .30-.30.

Just ran the handloads for the 208gr 06 and the 156gr for the 6.5 PRC, out to 2,000 the PRC wins in every thing but energy.

Last edited:

Guess we forget about lend Lease and Strategic bombing of factories , railroads, bridges,etc. North Africa and Italy. Lots of other stuff too, but it's late and I'm tired.
[/QUOTE]
none of those things sound like 30-06 lol

bench

fat man and little boy were a little bigger than 30cal lol

bench
Not to derail the thread but those two bombs didn't force the japs to surrender as much as we want to believe it. They surrendered because of the commies. And btw, I love the 30-06 which was probably the number one caliber of the hunting camps I grew up in. My favorite rifle is my dad's Browning, Belgium made BAR. Kicks like a mule and slings lead in all directions but the deer don't seem to mind.

Reactions: Dpp
I wouldn't be afraid to take any bear with a 30-06 and appropriate bullet. Hell, I'd say you're going overkill with the 375. (For what it's worth, the single 115 .257 partition dropped the last black bear I shot with zero drama).

I know the 30-06 is enough for black bears otherwise I would not bring one as a backup to be used if something happens to my 375. The 375 Ruger does not have much recoil is very accurate and will put good-sized two holes in a black bear no matter what angle the bear gives me, if a bullet tougher than Core-Lokt is used. The any angle ability may provide me a path to the boiler room on a bear that other cartridges would not, and if the bear were a trophy bear the 375 would do what a lot of smaller rounds would not. Not trying to start an argument just stating my reasoning behind the choice.

I originally built the 375 for a South Africa hunt that I was going to take at the end of a South Africa work trip. Unfortunately the work trip to SA got scrubbed and as of yet I have not gotten to Africa for a hunt. Like I said the 375 shoots well, accurately with limited recoil, so why not use it for black bears instead of just have it sit in the safe.

I think the 375 Ruger would be close to an ideal round to use for black bear in areas where browns/grizzlies also frequent, in the event you needed a defensive shot against one of those apex predators. I will probably do a hunt or two for black bears in BC and the apex predators might be around.

We all choose cartridges for different reasons, in most cases there are lots of other cartridges that will do the same job just as well.

wade

A doctor that I used to do business with before he retired and I hunted with him on several different occasions completed the North American Grand Slam with the same rifle. A 30-06
That's a lot of animals of all sizes.

A doctor that I used to do business with before he retired and I hunted with him on several different occasions completed the North American Grand Slam with the same rifle. A 30-06
That's a lot of animals of all sizes.

I believe this is the book that chronicles the gentleman you speak of. Great read if you have the interest and offers detailed insight on all north american game he took.

One Man, One Rifle, One Land

If I'm not mistaken, the bombs tested at Los alamos had their reactions triggered by a .30-06 case with a special plutonium projectile that started the critical reaction. Little boy used a much larger version to slam two sub critical masses together. In the early 2000s you had to trade in your .30-06 in for a .308 because it was a match winner, now you have to ditch the .308 for the next newest high pressure metric match winner because it's easier than learning a little ballistics. It's all just an effort to sell brass and barrels, which is fine, puts a lot of nice rifles up for sale at good prices.

I think I found most of the hides" I think in inches so i shoot moa fuds" LOL

Last edited:
I think the .30-.30 has the most deer kills in the US. That's it I'am selling my creedmoor and .300win mag and I'am gitting a .30-.30.

Oorrr, you could just trade/sell everything and get a 30-06? Use 1 gun instead of needing 2.

• Haha
Reactions: Dpp
308 win all day and all next year and the following with 10k rds down the tube.

But yeah my 300 WM is about to become my second 300 PRC...

Then I guess you like your rifle's handicapped by caliber outside of blasting with cheap Russian steel cased ammo 308 is obsolete IMO when an intermediate caliber like 224v can beat it it's safe to say that 308 no longer offers performance that is competitive.

3006 is my favorite all around cartridge. There are better rounds out there for specific things but but for a do anything around my favorite. I am a gear whore myself but people forget the person shooting is more important than the gear to a point. 308 3006 6.5 creedmore are all good. In a good rifle with good ammo and scope a capable shooter the critter or terrorist receiving the round will not be able to tell the differance. They key is know your equipment and ballistics for your load. Gun rags and gun companies need to sell more products to keep in business so are always coming up with something "new" and "better" to make business and justify it it by convincing people things like longer bolt throw make a differance. For what 99% of shooters do the 06 will do it for them.

I reckon so......

Handicapped... bet I never had a critter think that I was handicapped when I had them in my rifle scope.

But what if the winds blowing, not sure about your end of the world, but the winds always blowing where I hunt and shoot. The little pea shooter 224 isn’t going to be in Kansas anymore Dorothy. My 215 Berger’s will fly right on thru out of my 308. Who’s handicapped now?

But wait there’s more.

When I decide that my 308 win isn’t capable, I’ll just get out my Tooley Custom Target Rifle with the 30” barrel out, chambered in 300 PRC and send some 230s. You still wanna use that 224 against it? Keep in mind I grew up shooting critters with a 7 lb 30-06, we didn’t have the money to buy hits growing up. We had to earn them via fundamentals.

No man is handicapped with a capible rifle chambered in 308 win if that man knows how to shoot. Things are lost today with the rifles that weigh 15 lbs and kick like a 22

308 is no longer competitive against other calibers in it's class and hasn't been for years. Whatever calibers you own, that other people own, or that exist does not change that.

Fundamentals combined with a 308 win is just as “competitive” as the next round in its class.

Unless we are talking short range benchrest. Then we are talking 6mm. Not 308 win.

People fail to outshoot their equipment and sink massive $ into a set up in order to buy hits. Just because you are chasing the latest fad round doesn’t make a cartridge “obsolete”.

I’d say if you took the top 10 prs shooter and gave them built 308 wins, they’d still be the top 10 shooters and yall be building 308 wins

Fundamentals trumps all.

PS when It crumbles and it’s a warzone I’ll be fetching 308 win ammo off the dead bodies. 6.5 supperwildcat suam I don’t think so

308 is no longer competitive against other calibers in it's class because math science and physics it has nothing to do with "the fundamentals" and "sponsorships". Yet I see you want to keep that 308 for when "it all crumbles" the zombies come and you're out operating and stackin bodies.

You can practice the fundamentals all you want. It will make you a better shooter, no doubt. End of the day, though, you hit more targets with a 6 and 6.5mm than you will with a .308. I'm much less optimistic about your assessment of having the top 10 shooters regress to .308. I'd say 2 or 3 of them remain in the top 10, tops. Shooters 11 through 30 aren't that far behind and hit probability on 1-10 is going to take a notable drop.

It's all been done before and proven to be correct. Hit probabilities are mostly dependent on wind calls and the resolution necessary to make hits on a specified target size at a specified range is much higher with a .308 than it is with the smaller, faster, lower drag alternatives. The only thing the 6's and 6.5's lose on is energy (To a point) and barrel life-- neither are huge concerns for plate matches.

You can run some expensive copper solids and bridge the gap a little, but for most the .308 is a step backwards, albeit effective for most all practical purposes.

What happened? I came back to this thread to see some pictures of and hear stories about nice ‘06 rifles and I’m reading trolling about why 6mm is better than .308 for PRS?

308 is no longer competitive against other calibers in it's class because math science and physics it has nothing to do with "the fundamentals" and "sponsorships". Yet I see you want to keep that 308 for when "it all crumbles" the zombies come and you're out operating and stackin bodies.

I believe that the thread you are looking for is:

What 4-wheel drive golf cart do you use to carry your 28 pound peashooter, two tripods and 30 bags to the line on the range?

It’s over on the “PRS R Us” forum. I’m sure you will be able to find plenty of people to argue the nuances of equipment carry over there.

So please stop trolling this thread with your useless drivel and let the people with their real rifles enjoy some discussion. Unless of course, you wish to post a picture of your favorite ‘06 for us, of course.

What happened? I came back to this thread to see some pictures of and hear stories about nice ‘06 rifles and I’m reading trolling about why 6mm is better than .308 for PRS?

I believe that the thread you are looking for is:

It’s over on the “PRS R Us” forum. I’m sure you will be able to find plenty of people to argue the nuances of equipment carry over there.

So please stop trolling this thread with your useless drivel and let the people with their real rifles enjoy some discussion. Unless of course, you wish to post a picture of your favorite ‘06 for us, of course.

I tried to keep it on topic but I have failed. All the bra wearing jelly donut eaters ruined it.

Nothing wrong with a 30-06.
Shoot whatever the fuck you want.
I know guys that pull off amazing hits over distance with that cartridge.
Personal preference, like Harley or Triumph, each to their own.

I shoot both, plus my favorite .260, a 6 BR mouse fart and a .224V.

And yes, the 6BR will be easier to develop a load for, with a bit more than half the powder than the ‘06. It will also make easier hits on steel to 1000+, as long as there is a flasher or camera on the steel to let me know I made an impact. Put my ‘06 on the same steel and I’ll see that impact.

Would I take my 6BR with me to hunt elk or caribou or moose with? Well no, that sounds stupid when you say it out loud, now doesn’t it? Bear? Lolol!!