• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30-06 help

skandlus

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2009
AZ
Im almost too late for this season, but would welcome any help you guys can throw my way. Off the shelf Savage 110, 30-06, accutriger, VX3 6.5-20-50. At this point in the game, what factory stuff would be optimal for shots out to 700 yards on a whitetail? Ive shot 20 rnds of win power pt 150, 20 reloads that look like they I reloaded them(Ive never reloaded) and another dozen Federal 165gr Barnes triple shok... my shoulder has been sore for a week from that abuse. Thats one reason I am askin for help. The other is that I dont really know anyone yet by me(that I trust) that reloads. My hunt is at the end of Dec.

Re: 30-06 help

Fill in your profile, then

Shoot a couple hundred rounds at 700 yards and see which one shoots best. There are too many variables to give you a certain answer.

Good luck

Jerry

Do you usually shoot whitetails at 700 yards with a different rifle/calibre? If so then stick with that combo until you have sorted an accurate 30 06 round for your savage.

I don't know what your experience is , but you need to be able to keep all shots within the kill zone at the maximum range you're going to shoot , using field positions.

Good luck.

JCH... im in AZ

Jerry M... answer is above...does that help? sounds to me you dont think asking others for their experience w/this cal is important...why do I need to shoot several hundred rounds? to shoot out my barrel and make me get a shoulder replacement? the goal is to be smart about it, working with others to see what works and doesnt.

Tony TRG... not usually, been shooting a 6mm to 400+ but dont want to get flamed on here, thought I would try to make a clean kill

Montana Marine... normally I dont, 500 MAX, the deer I have found are gonna be tough to get to and see anywhere closer then about 400 yards. I shot those last 60 rounds up to 100yrds, shot ok... I just put a new scope on and was sighting it in... Since most people on here seem to shoot moa at 1000yrds I figured someone would have a 30-06 dialed in and they would help a brotha out. Thats the smart way and also keep my shoulder from falling off before I found the right load.

Hummer... nice handle bro... I use my Geovids. thanks for that info on the 06 nose dive... I have noticed that from the ballistics charts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skandlus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JCH... im in AZ

Jerry M... answer is above...does that help? sounds to me you dont think asking others for their experience w/this cal is important...why do I need to shoot several hundred rounds? to shoot out my barrel and make me get a shoulder replacement? the goal is to be smart about it, working with others to see what works and doesnt.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Yes it does. I shot 600 rounds out of a sporter before going bear hunting in Quebec...so I would know the rifle and trajectory before the shot.
</span>
Tony TRG... not usually, been shooting a 6mm to 400+ but dont want to get flamed on here, thought I would try to make a clean kill

Montana Marine... normally I dont, 500 MAX, the deer I have found are gonna be tough to get to and see anywhere closer then about 400 yards. I shot those last 60 rounds up to 100yrds, shot ok... I just put a new scope on and was sighting it in... Since most people on here seem to shoot moa at 1000yrds I figured someone would have a 30-06 dialed in and they would help a brotha out. Thats the smart way and also keep my shoulder from falling off before I found the right load.
<span style="font-weight: bold">The 200 extra yards from 500 to 700 are going to matter a great deal. Trying to extrapolate shooting at 700 yards without shooting that distance is no likely to succeed. See recommendation above.
Most people do not shoot MOA to 1000 in the field, only on the internet.
Even reading the wind is going to be problematic, unless you have lots of experience, see recommendation above</span>.

Hummer... nice handle bro... I use my Geovids. thanks for that info on the 06 nose dive... I have noticed that from the ballistics charts.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Ballistic charts are only a best guess, not an absolute, for your rifle, your load, how close your scope tracks, how steady your rest, your atmospherics conditions, etc. etc. etc. see recommendation above.</span>

</div></div>

Good luck
Jerry