• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 30-06 Hunting Build

BigRed308

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2019
Wanting to build a 30-06 for elk and bear in Kentucky. Looked at the Remington line and only came up with the long range hunter. Looked upon some reviews and I wasn't thrilled with them. I know 30-06 isn't the ideal caliber for some but I've hunted deer with it since I was a boy and now isn't the time to start new calibers. Any recommendations on rifles with hunting acceptable accuracy, say .75-1 MOA, Id like to may just order a trued 700 LA and a pre fit barrel, but I haven't seen any luck for that option. My smith is out laid up and will have too much lead time when he recovers.

It takes a rifle 270 or larger to hunt elk and bear in KY, so no 6.5s legal here. My other option on caliber already set up for is 308. But I'm on the fence there.

Let me know your ideas. Much appreciated.

I have a Tikka t-3 it is light but it shoots sub moa with factory 165 sgk fom federal, well enough I dont reload for it. I also have a Bergara remage barrel on a 1980's 700 long action , it is sub moa with hornady 178 eldx factory ammo and 1/2moa many times with Nosler 180 grain accubonds.The Nosler trophy grade ammo my signature pic is 3 @ 500.I have other Tikka rifles and Bergara rifles 308,6.5, 6mm no complaints on any of them.Good luck .

The newer Winchester model 70 supergrades are fine shooters. I bought a maple stocked 270 a few years ago and it has been great. Build quality is there and trigger is very nice. Oh and it shoots 1/2 moa with factory Hornady black ammo.

Find a donor Mauser / Winchester M70 / CZ550 action.

Put a 24" barrel on it in stainless from someone you like. Go for a McMillan stock. (Gamewarden 2.0 looks good).

If Mauser or CZ have a 3 position safety done on it (Ed Lapour?)

Glass wise:

Something German / Austrian, maybe Meopta. 2.5-15x50 or x56 with a ballistic turret, number 4 ret and illuminated centre dot. (2-12 would also work).

Load with 165gr Accubonds and go hunt.

Bottom metal. Classic floor plate will work fine but if you want a DBM the Magpul AICS .30-06 mags work really well.

Scrummy

Reactions: 458win
I have 2 tikkas that both shoot great with factory ammo.
1 in .308 and 1 30’06.

They just work.
Both in factory stocks.
Where I hunt I would be scared to have a nice stock like Stevo mentioned above. Steep, rocky, snowy.

I have a 325”+ elk that says a 150 gr bullet from a .308 kills in 1 shot. 😉

I have a Tikka 30-06 that shoots just sub-moa with Hornady ELD-X factory loads... been happy with it so far... hard to ask for more from a factory gun.

Reactions: krw
The tc venture is a great utility rifle. Sub moa with several bullets often across all the charge weights tested. It’s a rifle you can beat up and not feel bad about it, but will put the hammer down as far as you wanna shoot. I will always have my 30-06 venture

northland shooters supply is where i would look if your going the route of a pre fit barrel. They have actions and barrels at good prices. Criterion runs as good as any of the top end barrels. Dont know your budget but LRI has a good website which allows you to choose about anything you want to build off a R700. Find the group buy accurizing R700.

Reactions: BigRed308
I have a Sako 75 SS/Syn .30-06 that is batting a 1000 with Zeiss Conquest (the original version) 3-9x40 #4 reticle that I really like. I can't speak for their current "85" platforms, but I really like my "75." Good shooter with factory ammo.

Attachments

• 65840593-EF28-4563-A946-552CFF6A9D64.jpeg
    65840593-EF28-4563-A946-552CFF6A9D64.jpeg
    556.2 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: BigRed308
Watch me as I commit sacrilege. TC Compass II and Venture II (weather coated) is made in.30-06 Sprg for not a lot of money. Extremely accurate. I have the Compass II in.308 Win. Averaging 1/2 MOA on a hot barrel after 40 rounds. You can put it in stock, easily customizable.