• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30-06 or 300WM/WSM

TheBigCountry

Green Weenie
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2013
    Afternoon All,

Looking for some solid input on my next bolt rifle. I primarily hunt, and already have a 7mm08. I want to add a 30 cal to my collection. I am debating a 30-06, 300WM, and 300 WSM. Primary use will be hunting inside of 400 yards, but I will also use it to punch paper. Rifle will probably be a Winchester 70 or another Montana 1999 as I am very fond of CRF.

If I am planning to use 180 grain and up bullets, so my question is would the 30-06 work? I would utilize a 26" barrel with the 30-06; I figure with caution and slow burning powder the longer barrel can help me gain a little more speed.

Or for the longer heavier bullets (Nosler ABLR 190, Bergers, and A-Max's) would utilizing a 300WM or 300WSM be better off compared to the old '06?

I am not afraid of recoil, and if I go the magnum route I am certain I will employ a muzzle brake to help dissipate recoil some.

Thanks,

A.J.

I have both the 06 and the 300 wsm, the 300 is a win 70, its a great gun, trigger is great, I put a brake on it, it shoots sub half inch with my loads. this is a stock model 70, only thing added is a brake. I am just getting into using the 06 for long range target shooting, it is showing great promise, cheaper to load and one of the most versatile rounds ever invented. I actually converted my 300 WM to the 06 because I got pissed at the lack of components over the last year +, am happy I did that conversion. The 300 WSM fills in the role of the WM now. The 300 WSM seems tp be tearing up the competitive circuit of late. Here is a thread discussing the 06 as a choice.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-bolt-action-rifles/188963-why-no-30-06-a.html

For the heavier bullets you mentioned you would be better off with the 300 WM or 30-06. The 300 WM will give you better performance at longer ranges with trade off being shorter barrel life. I shoot both 300 WM and 300 WSM. Both are excellent .308 caliber cartridges. The WSM uses a short action which is nice but limited by the length of heavier bullets. From a reloading standpoint the 30-06 and 300 WSM are pretty straightforward while 300 WM in not primarily due to it being a belted case. For the heavier bullets a faster twist rate will be required to stabilize them.

Yea I have a 308 and then my next up is a 338 lapua magnum. I did this because the 308 does everything I need it to up to 1000 yards and the 338 lapua does everything I need it to beyond 1000 yards. Are there better calibers for each of these applications? I am sure there are. Newer calibers like the 6.5 SAUM and other 6-7mm cartridges. One of these days I may get into them and try them out, but for what I do right now these two calibers do everything I need them to.

Edit: I HAD a 300 win mag specifically designed to shoot the 208 A-max. The gun was a tack driver but as mentioned above, I paid a good chunk more for shooting it until I got into a system with my reloading and fired the brass a few times. Bottom line was I sold it because it didn't make enough sense to me to have that gun around and my 308 because one would always make the other sit in the safe. I would never bring them both out at the same time.

Last edited:
    2750fps+ from a 26" 06 using 208 Amax and RL22 will put a hurting on any game animal inside 400...

For factory rifle id go with 30-06.
    A little bit of customizing I'd go with 300 wsm to make use for heavier bullets if thats what you wanted (200+ grain).

tough to beat the 06. I have all the 30cal cartiges you mentioned if I could have only one it would be the 06, great for game out to 400 and whith high bc bullets good for out to 1000 for target shooting. Also in a pinch when your away from home hunting you go to any hardware store and find a box of ammo [ at least 2 yrs ago you could]. Also not to hard on bbl if you like to spend time at the range.

I would say either the wsm or the 3006. If you reload go wsm, if you plan on buying ammo 3006 is everywhere.

My wsm was the easiest rifle I have ever loaded for in 20 years of reloading. I liken it to one of my old 6mmbr's, it shot everything well. With very little effort it shot amazing. Mine would run 208's out of a 22" barrel at 2800. 210 class bullets at that speed will lay out most anything you are going to hunt in North America.

I use to have a model 70 in .30 06, sold and regret it. If I were in your shoes I'd go with the 06. I feel it's often overlooked but is still one of the best cartridges around. The 06 will kill anything in north america inside of 400 yards, ammo will be cheaper, availible anywhere, kicks less, and there are a lot of good bullets available for the reloader or from the fact

As others have said inside 400 3006 is all you need. What really made me a believer, is maybe 15 years back I was hunting deer and an elk came out at a ranged 343yds. One shot and he went down without taking a step. With the damage he had inside his chest cavity, I felt there was no need for a bigger rifle in this situation. One thing about the 06 is you can always find Lapua brass in stock in one place or another.

Darren

I like the 300WM. It hits hard and travels far. You can shoot light or heavy bullets; I am partial towards the heavy ones

Currently in process of building a M-70 CRF 300 WSM for an upcoming elk hunt. I reload so I am not a big fan of belted rounds. Velocities between the WM and WSM ar essentially a wash and the 06 just doesnt offer very much of an advantage over a 308 in practical terms. I prefer the WSM but nothing wrong with a Win either. If you reload I would recomend the WSM. If you dont, there is probably more match grade ammo for the 300 Win.

the 06 just doesnt offer very much of an advantage over a 308 in practical terms.

I would agree with this statement if practical mean factory ammo because the '06 is down loaded to the point it's a long version of the .308, you can thank all those Garand rifles out there for that. If you reload then the '06 can out class the .308 in every way...

I have a bone stock BDL '06 and prefer it over all my other rifle choices for hunting duty. As others have mentioned it's just a classic caliber with a ton of bullet choices and will take down any game in NA.

Mine is just another opinion, but I had several 308s and a couple 300wm. I wanted to try something different, so I currently have a 308 ( s/a ) at the gunsmith getting re-barreled into a 300wsm. I went this direction because I had the short action and just had to buy a mag bolt. If I had an extra long action laying around I might just as well have tried a 30-06.

For hunting from 400 in, you can hardly go wrong with any of the cals you ask about.

Dude you ever hunt with a 26" barrel? I had a win model 70 classic stainless in .338 win mag in Alaska with that long barrel and hated it for hunting. I still have a win model 70 featherweight in 30.06 with a 22" barrel and love it. If I was to purchase or build a new hunting rifle in any of the .30 calibers you mentioned I wouldn't go longer than 24".