• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30-06 or 6.5x55 or 6.5x284 or 284 or ???

Jowens

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2012
Middle TN
I"m looking at building something on a long action, .308 bolt face action.

I would like something that is inherently accurate, has good barrel life and is easy on the shoulder.

I know the 6.5x284 is known as a barrel burner, but I'm thinking with h1000 it might last a while?

6.5x55 or AI model is also on the list, don't know much about this round but it's a 6.5 option.

30-06, don't really need another 30 cal but it's also in the running.

284, another one I don't know much about, but have read and heard good things.

Any and all opinions and comments welcome.

^.5 swede or 284 if it were me... The 6.5 swede is a honey to shoot. What will you be doing with it?

Consider the .280 Rem (AKA 7mm Rem Express). A factory loaded chambering that can also be handloaded for excellent 1000+yd target performance.

I load up to a limit of 55gr H-4831SC with the 150gr Nosler BT for a flat shooting well out to 400yd deer rifle, and this distance limit is self imposed, rather than a terminal performance issue. Flat, hard hitting, easy to find accuracy; IMHO it's the most efficient use of the .30-'06's case capacity. Load of up to 168gr should stabilize in a reasonable length (24" or longer) 1:9" barrel; longer bullets than that require 1:8" rifling. SRA HPFB 100gr Varminters make for a terrific LR Varmint load.

Greg

Last edited:
I will be hand loading. It will be for paper and steel out to 1000 yards. I will also hunt whitetails with it. Right now a 308 is my round of choice, looking for something that bucks wind better out to 1k.

280ai is in the running

I would vote 6.5x55
It has the mildest recoil of the calibers you listed.
Has the same drop with 140 gr vld's as the 300 win mag at 1,000 yards. It can be a great long range weapon.
It has plenty of knockdown for any north american animal, swedes shot plenty of moose with it.
Has great barrel life compared to the 284 and other larger 6.5's.

I like my .280 as well but to get the same BC as a 140gr 6.5 you have to shoot a big .284 bullet. Recoil increases a lot when you got up to a full size long action round like a .280 compared to the smaller 6.5x55 round. I didn't see where the gains in drop/recoil and barrel life justified the larger round. But I put more stock in recoil and barrel life then others do.