• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30:06 steel core bullets for reloading

I’m new to loading. I’m wanting 308 or 30:06 steel core rounds to load into 300 win mag cases. Anyone know where I can find them?

So... you joined 11 minutes ago and this is your first post????

Nice try, but I think you just busted yourself...

• Haha
Reactions: 338dude
How so. I can find them online pulled from WW2 rounds, but can’t find new in weights I want

I’m new to loading. I’m wanting 308 or 30:06 steel core rounds to load into 300 win mag cases. Anyone know where I can find them?
How so. I can find them online pulled from WW2 rounds, but can’t find new in weights I want
So... you joined 11 minutes ago and this is your first post????

Nice try, but I think you just busted yourself...
Is what I’m trying to do illegal? I buy 5.56 all the time in ap

As much as I can remember, black tip in .30 cal. was steel, hardened steel or tungsten core and/or considered an AP round. They were not known for their superior accuracy, only for their punching through more dense material, such as steel, of a certain thickness at a given distance. They are not allowed at a metallic silhouette match and are impractical for paper punching due to their difficulty in obtaining and so/so degree of accuracy.

Not sure what you would want/need them for and since I am an old 'across the course' shooter and striving for repetitiveness of accuracy over varying distances and conditions, it would not be on my short, or for that matter long list of desirable projectiles to shoot.

If you are seeking accuracy in a .308 and/or 30.06 round, I may be able to make a suggestion or two regarding what bullet I found to be the most competitive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 338dude
As much as I can remember, black tip in .30 cal. was steel, hardened steel or tungsten core and/or considered an AP round. They were not known for their superior accuracy, only for their punching through more dense material, such as steel, of a certain thickness at a given distance. They are not allowed at a metallic silhouette match and are impractical for paper punching due to their difficulty in obtaining and so/so degree of accuracy.

Not sure what you would want/need them for and since I am an old 'across the course' shooter and striving for repetitiveness of accuracy over varying distances and conditions, it would not be on my short, or for that matter long list of desirable projectiles to shoot.

If you are seeking accuracy in a .308 and/or 30.06 round, I may be able to make a suggestion or two regarding what bullet I found to be the most competitive.
I’d be very interested in that. I’m wanting to make rounds for my 300 win mag

If memory serves me correctly there were a few shooters at Camp Perry shooting the Wimbledon with a .300 Win Mag and it seemed their powder of choice was 4350 and about 66 grains behind a 190 grain Sierra HPBT Matchking giving a velocity of about 2,800-2,900 fps. You might be able to use 4831 and still have proper powder density to get 2,800 fps.

Both powders are rather coarse so throwing charges is not practical which means you would be relegated to using a scale to charge each case.

If you want both accuracy and penetration, use solid lathe turned bullets. Especially at 300 win velocities you wont see much difference between those and AP.

And you can get the weight you want.

Reactions: msgriff