• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.30-06 subsonic loads??

SPAK

Stupid can be fixed
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2009
Alaska
Anyone have any .30-06 subsonic load data? thinking about using Trailboss and a 208amax or 180gr spbt in a 1/10" twist.

Has anyone tried this??

Re: .30-06 subsonic loads??

Don't know you purpose but why not look into getting a chamber insert and shooting .32ACP?

Thanks guys I might try some trail boss and see if I can't find a load that will work

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crazy Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speer Reloading Book #12, Speer 200 grain,part no.2211,BC .556 reduced load IMR ,start at 27.0 work up to 31.0, ,1721 to 1988 fps. </div></div>

That doesn't sound even close to subsonic
crazy.gif

Trailboss is a great place to start, if you go with a heavier bullet(200+) you may have better luck. I found in my .308 that with a 220 I couldn't fit enough TB in the case to get past 800'ish FPS, even W/ compressed loads, so I tried clays, that worked. So with the 06's larger case and some trailboss, you may have the room to get it up to speed, with the added benefit of having very little empty case space. you may try some clays too, though it takes less to get the same bang.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have any .30-06 subsonic load data? thinking about using Trailboss and a 208amax or 180gr spbt in a 1/10" twist.

Has anyone tried this?? </div></div>

The 30-06 case is large for doing S/S rd but with a long bullet seated deep and using trail boss you can over come that very easy. It's nice to have a few sub loads with you, when your out an about. Any caliber can be done in subs, if you think out of the box.

11.5-12.0 grs of Trail Boss depending, speed of sound vs mother your AO
208 Amax
OAL 3.225
Winchester LR primer
Primer flash hole drilled out to 7/64 an cone'd inside.
Gives me sub moa w/o issue in a std 10 twist, 22" pencil barrel 700 Remington

any trouble with the 208 amax getting stuck in the barrel?? Do you guys lube bullets at all??

gunfighter what velocities are you getting with 12gr of trailboss...

would you start at 12gr and work back or would your reccomend starting higher and working down??

Thanks for all the info, it's very helpful. I'm looking for a good load to use with a suppressor.

That loads speed is about 1050 here in Alabama out of my -06, No I don't lube bullets, as I've never got groups worth anything lubed.

With any sub load always start higher then drop back, I started at 13.5

With any load your working on, before shooting it threw a can see how it prints on paper first. If it groups you'll have no issues with the can attached. I get less than moa with that load.

With the can attached, the loudest sound will be the bullet impacting.

Be sure to mark, those cases you have drilled the flash hole on, an never use them for any full power loads

Reactions: Eddystone

I forgot to ask, why do you drill out the flash holes?? is it necessary for the loads to work?

Frog- drilling the flashholes helps get that primer to light the small volume of fluffy TrailBoss so that you don't end up with hang fires.

You don't have to drill the flash holes if you use reduced capacity cases, I wrote an instructional post about a year ago regarding lead filled cases in a 7.65x54R for shooting SS cast lead loads. It works equally well in 30-06 cases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I forgot to ask, why do you drill out the flash holes?? is it necessary for the loads to work? </div></div>

Not necessary, but I've seen the after effects of a Secondary Explosive Effect (SEE). I believe it happens most in large cases with small powder charges of fast burning powder, where the powder does not burn but explodes. I'm not a member of the "SEE" club, nor do I want to.

Trail Boss takes up alot of space vs it's weight, but I'm not one to play bad odds either. 50 years ago I was doing 30-06 with Red Dot an Bullseye(not for the faint of heart)and started drilling the flash holes back then and found a gain on the target.

My Grandfather lived the old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it". He taught me alot about reloading quitely, for the table.

Keep those drilled flash holes away from regular loads. You could try 8-9g Unique and a lead bullet - this is basically a gallery load (10g and 185g Lee mould gives 1.5in at 100yds in a 1903a3).

would using a magnum rifle primer work to ensure a full burn???

I would imagine you need a drill press to drill out the flash holes no??

is there any detriment to using a cast lead bullet? will the lead foul the barrel or the can any worse??

Lead bullets at subsonic speeds from a rifle won't cause problems, however, using a gas check is much advisable. Getting the can fouled up can happen over time from the lube on the bullets. If you're greasing the bullets already though it's no different.

My dad shoots significant numbers of suppressed lead rounds from his rifles each year.

gunfighter, Obviously your loads for the 208 are stabilizing ok, is there any concern about them not stabilizing since they are so long???

Is there a minimum case capacity I shouldn't go below with the trailboss??

Bohem, I might try some hard cast lead bullets too and see what results I get..

Thanks for all the input guys!

The hard line on case capacity is usually about 35% filled, however I play it safe and stay above 50%. I try to use a powder that fills at least 50% so that I don't need to use a filler like dacron or cotton fibers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gunfighter, Obviously your loads for the 208 are stabilizing ok, is there any concern about them not stabilizing since they are so long???</div></div> They are shorter than normal for a 208 Amax in a 30-06 That is why I chose the 208, great on target, flys well in SS mode and is long enough to take up the 06's big case to safely do a SS load<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a minimum case capacity I shouldn't go below with the trailboss??</div></div> Yes, as you don't want to join the "SEE" club, although TB is way more forgiving that other powders. <span style="font-weight: bold">Reloading is like a rock in a pond. If you throw a rock into a pond you don't see the pond rise, but the fact remains the pond level rises! You throw enough rocks and the dam will break, but in weapons and reloading that dam is right infront of your face. Don't start changing things until you know the effect of the change, your making. Cause and effect, is a lesson unto it's self. </span>
When loading subsonic ammo your looking for a load that is just below the speed of sound, for the bullet your going to use that prints good groups on a target. Anything less than that and your giving up distance, and total energy on target. When I'm looking for a sub load I start above the speed of sound and drop down. If the load won't stabilize said bullet there, it will be worst slower.

How did you drill out your flash holes...I tried on a crap piece of brass with my hand drill just to see if I could do it, and it was less than fun for sure.

Drill press and then use a flash hole tool??

I use a std cordless drill on high threw the primer pocket hole. Then the inside flash hole deburring tool with the cordless, set on low speed to cone the inside.
Again be sure to mark the brass so as not to load std loads in any you have drilled.
Depending the qual's of the target your after, old 3+ times fired brass works well.
If one shot decides everything, take the time to prep the brass as you would for a match, and ajust the OAL + - 0.020 either way for your stick.
Remember it's not what you hit them with, it's where you hit them at. I know 2 guys that were hit with a Russian 14.7mm and are still alive. I also knew guys hit with a 22LR that did not survive the incounter.

Well, I haven't tried the 208 amax yet, that's next on the to do list. But I did load up few hornady 180gr btsp with the trailboss.

It's a shorter bullet and I had a bunch to spare.

anyway, 11.0 gr of Trailboss got me right about 1050fps. Bullets were stable from 10 yards out to 50 yards but at 100 yards some would make nice holes in the paper and some would tumble and impact in various places.

Is that typical of subsonic bullets at 100 yards?

Not normal at all.
What twist rate do you have?
Your crony, was saying 1050? If you did not have that bullet pushed deep into the case, I doubt you were even close to 1050.

with 11.0gr my chrony at 5 yards from muzzle was saying 1036, 1045, and 1087.
my twist rate is 1/10" Hornady 180gr btsp, Bullets seated 2.530" to ogive wich is .04" off the lands. I could probably seat the bullet deeper if I needed to.

I did a ladder at 100 yards from 13.5gr down to 10.5gr with out the can on. All had very clean holes except the 10.5 looked like it might have started to tumble but it's hard to say. Velocity started right about 1300fps at 13.5gr and right at 11.5 gr I hit 1114fps. 11.0 gr registered 1004fps and 10.5gr registerd at 1037fps. It is possible that my chrony isn't accurate. I try to use it mostly to make sure I'm not in danger terrirtory.

With the can on, I get a few clean holes at 100 yards and then some that tumbled. I pulled the target in to 10 yards and 50 yards to see if I was tumbling with the can off and I had clean holes coming out.

Can looks good, I don't see any baffle strikes inside unless I'm missing some grazing of the baffles??

I would think if i'm getting clean holes at 10 yards without the can on I should be pretty safe to shoot with the can on?? Granted this is just math and not real world flight data but I used an online stability calcualtor and for that bullet measuring at 1.279" at 1050fps it should be stable....

Any advice would be great, this is new for me and I don't want to blow off my can...

I'll give it a go with the 208 amaxes...the hornady round nose also looks promising...

With the can on did you hear the SS crack with any loads? If you did not, your crony is reading a bit high.

My 30-06 prints round holes from 0 to 250yds w/o issue.
Round nose flat base bullets fly well, but drop like rocks compaired to HPBT's or SPBT's.

I'm pretty sure didn't hear any ss cracks, just a woosh of air and then the impact of the bullet on the target. But I didn't shoot any of the higher velocity loads with the can on. I only did the initial test with the can off to make sure they were stable and to see what the velocity numbers were reading. Is it possible that if my chrony is off I'm actually in the transonic velocity range and that is causing the occasional bullet to tumble??

On the paper when I went from 13.5gr to 10.5gr, I did notice that there was a large drop in POI on the paper from 11.5gr to 11.0gr. Almost 6 inches between those two charge weights, where 13.5gr to 11.5 gr all were within 5 inches of vertical spread.

Would you reccomend bumping up the charge until I hear SS cracks and then back it down slightly??

I have a feeling it's the bullets. Maybe they're just not balanced right for subsonic use. Perhaps the weight distribution is further towards the rear than what's required...Makes me wonder how in the world the long 208 amax stabilizes in the subsonic realm for being such a long bullet.

I'd bump them up until you hear the crack then back them down about 1/2 - 3/4 grain.

With 12.0 grs and the 208's seated deep they have always ran good for me. I don't start getting the SS crack until about 12.8 - 13.0 depending temp. 12.0 is just under Super Sonic no matter mother in my A/O and still has enough energy to punch threw a deers head at that range.

As far as bullet balance, with a 10 twist and just under SS speed you should be good up to 210's, depending. I've tried them in a bud's 11.27 twist an found 190's do much better than the 208's.

I'll give them a go with the 208 amax. I was just reading somewhere that some bullets that should be stable based on the math aren't and some bullets that shouldn't be stable end up doing very well.

Thanks for all the info gunfighter

Frog- If you run into some stability problems with bullets seated normally try seating them backwards.

Obviously test with the can off first, but this aligns the center of mass and center of pressure how the aerodynamics want to stabilize at subsonic speeds.

220 SMK's won't stabilize from my 1:10 pointed nose forward but they stabilize when seated backwards.

I ran head long into a pressure issue with the 208's seat backwards and deep at 13.5grs in a 30-06 case. Don't remember the OAL but recall the BT was just sticking out of the neck opening. Did the same with a 175 in a .308 at what I think was 11.0 grs.

They thump the target much harder backwards, for sure.

Gunfighter, I have some 173 match if you want to run those backwards. I thiught of doing that in a 308 just for Grins & Chuckles but ... I figured I had enough problems without making more !! IF you are going to be down this weekend let's talk about doing this the RIGHT way !!

Run them front wards in the 308 with 10.4 grs of Trail Boss. I do 175smks and they do will. If I get down I'll bring some and the can.

FYI,...OSOK has sent his info into Top Shot 2. I don't think they really knew what they were asking for when they passed out an open invite on here. I'd love to go but with the wife restarting chemo next week, and mine again in Sept. I'll have to pass on this one, maybe next year. Besides they could not stand Ronald and I togeather anyway. Now if we could get the Husk-a-nator, an Ronald on this year, that would be worth passing up my chemo for, but not the wifes.

Prayers on the way for you & yours. I now have a slight idea of what you are going through. Just had surgery (almost 2 weeks ago) and they removed the scar tissue in neck. also did a biopsy and yes, there was a tiny tumor (benign at this time) still buried in mass. Like my ENT Doc said, it was a good time to have it done because later would have been boocoo issues.

Hang in there.

Always praying/thinking, for/about you as well.

They Randomized her yesterday, and she will be recieving the exp durg. Another small victory we hope as the known todate side effects, are not as bad as the excepted drug given at this point in time. We have hopes it works as well as Temodar did when she went threw that stage, in that program.

I'll be missing this shoot, as my shooting days may be ending forever, soon.

I finally got out with my attempt at subsonics in the 30-06. I didn't get the chrono up so I will just tell you how they felt. Recoil for the 220 SMK's was nill, I could see the bullet hit the deck thru the scope downrange.

They were loud but very comfortable to deal with. I could differntiate the muzzle blast from the crack of the bullet and the impact on target. I did see some holes that appeared to be angled at the 100yd target. They were at the lower charges. I think I'm gonna try and trade the 90 220gr smk's I have for some 200's and see how that works. I was using a standard Rem 700 22inch barrel with HXP brass and fed 210's

has anyone ever tried the hornady 220gr RN interlocks in the .30-06 case?

Does anyone have a pic of the loaded amax? I’m just curious as to how deep the case has to be ? Every time I get the nerve to do this I back out, it appears to be easy to make SS .308 but somewhat a challenge for the ‘06.

Last edited: