• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

30.06 Subsonics using N32C

Daneren

Default viking
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2013
Hi there,

Do any of you know if it is even possible, to make a safe subsonic load for a 30.06 rifle using Vihtavuori N32C (Tin Star) powder?

- If it is possible, then i would love some load suggestions.

Thanks.

With or without a filler?

I'm not sure iwthout a filler but I've heard the stuff is basically trailboss and I've run trailboss subs with really heavy bullets in the 30-06.

12gr of powder and a 220SMK seated really deep into the case worked without a filler.

I would prefer without filler (So as not to fill the suppressor, with all kinds of crap), but i don't know if it can be avoided.

If i use a filler (I have used cotton wool in black powder loads before), shouldn't i be able to use as low a charge as i want?

Yes, if you put a filler in there then you can go really low on the charge but like you already are aware, it has the tendency to leave stuff behind.

I did some more looking on Tin Star last night and everything I can find says you treat it like Trailboss for finding a load.

Try not to drop under 60% fill, 70% being optimal and with Trail Boss in a 30-06, that's around 15 grains under a 220SMK seated really deep.

I'll give it a try, and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for the help.

The goal is around 320 m/sec (~1050fps), that should be enough to avoid "plugs" and bad ju-ju.:cool:

I know the thread is quite old. nevertheless I can share some results for anybody seeking the information.
I am using 13,6grs of N32C, standard primer and 220 GRS Hornady RN3090 bullet. OAL 3,210". Barrel length 22", twist 1:10, v2 is around 310m/s

Do you think subs can be loaded with 208s/210s? I mean without the filler?
Depends of your barrel twist but with a 1:8 barrel you could use those 208/225 VLDs style bullets like the hornady 225 BTHP and because the round is so long it'll help with the fill rate.

Trail boss would be a much better, safer powder than Tinstar for that. I use tinstar for heavy 308 subs (240) but trailboss gives me a much better case fill on the 200-225gr which translate in lower SD/ES

For 30-06 subsonic 225 BTHP with Trail boss you could start at 13.0gr (75% fill) and work your way down to 11.5gr (67%)
with Tin star - 13 gr is 50% fill and 11.5 is 45% - starts to get pretty low for comfort - plus the ES will be shit, especially if you shoot upward or downward.

with 208 eld-m for example @ 3.30 coal - 13gr gives you 75% fill and 11.5 67%

One of my favorite subsonic 30 cal bullet is the Lapua 200 FMJ-BT and should stabilize in most 1:10 twist barrel but then again work down the load - make sure it doesn't keyhole and get a good chrony when working subsonic loads or that's a recipe for something bad to happen.

Thank you, I have a 1/10 barrel and I have always been tempted to try it but I must admit I’ve been somewhat hesitant to do it.