• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30-06 target/hunting rifle

Slothgunner

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2021
California
Hey there, brand new here. I’m looking for a new 30-06 barrel and action for target shooting and also to take hunting as well. I have never bought aftermarket barrels or actions.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as far as barrel length, twist rate and a decent action. The rifle I have right now is a Ruger American.

Thank you in advance

Are you 100% sold on 30-06? Lot of more modern better performing bullets out there that can shine over the 06 for hunting and definitely target shooting. How long of shots are you planning?

I have a Bergara ridge in 30-06. It fit my needs, it has a slightly thinner than varmit profile barrel and shoots well. I was considering building a similar rifle, but decided to try that as a cheaper alternative to experiment with. I'm happy with it so far.

Are you 100% sold on 30-06? Lot of more modern better performing bullets out there that can shine over the 06 for hunting and definitely target shooting. How long of shots are you planning?
Yes I am. I was gifted the rifle so I figured I might as well use that to build from. Mostly just looking for a new barrel. Found x-caliber and they seem pretty good from the reviews I was reading. Just not sure on what shape of barrel, length or twist. And not really sure on the fluting either.
thanks

Yes I am. I was gifted the rifle so I figured I might as well use that to build from. Mostly just looking for a new barrel. Found x-caliber and they seem pretty good from the reviews I was reading. Just not sure on what shape of barrel, length or twist. And not really sure on the fluting either.
thanks

I'm a .30-06 fan myself.

That being said, with a rebarrel you can run 280, 280AI, 6.5-06, .25-06 (list goes on) without any other changes. While you will get more barrel life out of the. 30-06, some people shoot the cartridges that recoil a little less, a little better. Factory ammo may come into play too if you don't reload.

For an all around rifle that will see 40+ rounds in an afternoon and go hunting as well, I prefer a contour that finishes around .750 at the muzzle. Thicker for a primary target gun, thinner for a dedicated hunting rig.

Reactions: Slothgunner
Nothing wrong with being set on a .30-06.
Do some reloading and cook up a recipe that works for your rifle.
You'll definitely experience better accuracy with a decent reload.
All the Best!
👍

Reactions: Slothgunner
Here is a discussion of a 30-06 that I think you all might find a bit interesting. With all the new, slippery bullets that are available in .30 caliber, the venerable 30-06 can be a performer.

Are you wanting to re-barrel your Ruger American?
X-Caliber is good, also Preferred Barrel is hard bargain to beat.
You want to go with 10 twist, that will accommodate all applicable bullet weights.
I would go with 24" length, shorter than than that becomes less forgiving with 30-06 in my opinion. You'll Appreciate the little extra length with the heavier bullets to harvest a little more speed. If you were going to shoot strictly 150 grain going down to 22" would be okay but 150 grain bullets in .308 diameter tend to not lend at much long range capability as the 175-180 range. You can do a lot with .30-06, there are easier cartridges to use but you can be effective with the old '06.

Reactions: HenryTheAce
I re-barreled my Rem 700 from 30.06 to 6.5 Swede. It is awesome and I never looked back.

Reactions: ma smith