• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 30.06 to 6.5x55 Swede Conversion.

ratton

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2009
Nevada
I have a Remington 700 30.06 I wish to convert to a 6.5x55. I read American brass is .473 diameter and the European brass is .480 diameter. I wish to be able to use both types. Is there enough slop in a current 30.06 bolt or does is it require the bolt face to be opened up? If so is it a big deal or should I get a new PTG bolt. Also the rifle will be used for all types of hunting. What would be the best barrel length and rate of twist. I heard the 6.5 is very forgiving and a standard 6.5x55 reamer will suffice for all different bullet weights.

Thanks any input deeply appreciated.

Re: 30.06 to 6.5x55 Swede Conversion.

Hi

The .30-06 bolt will work well as it is.
Best barrellength is depending on what you want from it.
So a 30" is of course better than a 20" when it comes to velocity.
But I use to stick to 24" as any longer is no fun to carry.

1-8 Barreltwist will probably serve you the best.

6,5 is absolutely my favourite caliber it has served me very well, both on hunting and compettions.

Håkan

250419_10150329232134408_680984407_10003959_5357206_n.jpg

I am doing this now as we speak.

I am going 1/8 twist - 24 inch tube, original bolt, lapua brass.

If you shop around, you can get a non SN matching Carl Gustov for $200.00 or so, I got one last month, turned down the bolt handle, drilled and tapped the receiver and installed a scope.

Using 210 primers, Lapua brass (everyone was out of Remington) 40gr. RE-22 and 140gr. Bullets (gamekings, speer spitzers and Nosler match) I got 1/2 MOA or better.

Seems like a waste to spend $$$ on a new barrel and the work involved converting a model 700, but you do have the advantage of using much faster powders and much higher chamber pressures than you could ever get with an old Mauser.

Since you are going to have to buy new brass and hand load anyhow, you might want to look into some of the other 6.5mm chamberings available. In particular take a reallyl good look at match results.....

That being said, the more I shoot my CG, the more I love it, especially when I figure it cost me about 20% of a modern rifle that may or may not shoot anywhere near as well.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cvedrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Since you are going to have to buy new brass and hand load anyhow, you might want to look into some of the other 6.5mm chamberings available. In particular take a reallyl good look at match results.....

</div></div>

What other 6.5 round will utilize the '06 Long Action platform better than the x55? I will give you the 284, but barrel life is a consideration for me.

stick with the 6.5 swede... best overall with best barrel life due to low pressures...

I see a 6.5X55 Swede hunting rifle in my future as well;)

I had 3 different Rem 700 rifles done in 6.5X55 and 2 needed the bolt face opened a little bit to function (with Lapua cases.) From what I've read most people who have done this build don't seem to have any problems so I'm going to say it should work fine.