• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30-06 whitetail hammer loads?

cattle buyer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2008
NE Decatur Co, SW GA
My .308 and 06 guns have always done well with the 165, 168 gr ammo. I'm mounting a '60 mod 70 target in a sporter stock to use as my bean patch whitetail hammer. 06 loads using 168 gr amax or VLD's,165 SST's or accubonds will be appreciated. I take accuracy over warp speed anyday.

Re: 30-06 whitetail hammer loads?

150 gr nosler balistic tip. 50 gr varget 3.25 coal.

shot out my win 70 boss is a tack driver, haven't shot a deer with it yet but i will. I shoot 168 gr pills out of my .308. but i like the 150 in my 06 IMHO

Thanks ,Ive shot 165 BTs in my mod 70 boss since I bought it new in '94 with great results both accuracy and whitetail, coyote terminal . Just now getting back into reloading after 30+ year hiatus and wanting to try some of these new bullits, lotta good ones out there!

168 Berger VLD, IMR 4350 56.9, COL 3.33, virgin brass.

Yes they are good. But...you'll have to go way better to beat the Sierra HPBT 165. Deadly and accurate. JMHO

All of these loads are for a 30-06, not a 308.

155 Amax is a good load for me in 30-06, I run 53.5gr of BLC-2 with some great success. (3050 fps)

The 168 Amax works nicely with 51.0gr of BLC-2 (2850 fps)

With 49.5gr of BLC-2 I get 1.5" groups at 300y with the 178 Amax at 2750 fps.

With H4350 I run 57.0gr H4350 under 178's for 3/4" groups at 100y (2925 fps)

If you want to push some serious lead out there, look at the 208 Amax from the 30-06 with 59.5gr of RL-22 (2885 fps)

You need to work to all of those loads, but each one of them shoots really nicely for my rifle. For any of the loads anyone has listed, if you get it on target, they'll all kill the deer.

For the 308, I've shot 46.5gr of BLC-2 under a 155 Amax with sub MOA results at 100y. I didn't have the rifle long enough to really work it's paces out.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1111823#Post1111823

Remington 168gr Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded factory loads. IMHO, for hunting, no point in reinventing the wheel by trying to develop hunting handloads. Your bore will thank you.

I do load development for match ammo because in the end, I'll be shooting far more in comp than I'd ever use in development. But for hunting, the application just doesn't consume enough rounds to make the development expenditure, in components and bore life, worth the investment. The factories either make it or fail based on their hunting ammo sales. You can be relatively well assured their stuff is tested inside out and works quite well enough.

Individual hunting handload development probably does at least as much for the ego as it does for the hunt.

Greg

Not sure on the speed since never chrono'd:
168 Amax
58.0 Grs Hodgdon 4831Sc
Win. Large Rifle
3.340 OAL
06amax.jpg

Worked well on the buck I shot last year, wasn't exactly "beanfield distance" though.
The interior of those black lines is a 1" square, the group is 4 with one just slightly outside at 100yds. Not the best I've shot but good enough for a hunting load for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remington 168gr Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded factory loads. IMHO, for hunting, no point in reinventing the wheel by trying to develop hunting handloads. Your bore will thank you.

I do load development for match ammo because in the end, I'll be shooting far more in comp than I'd ever use in development. But for hunting, the application just doesn't consume enough rounds to make the development expenditure, in components and bore life, worth the investment. The factories either make it or fail based on their hunting ammo sales. You can be relatively well assured their stuff is tested inside out and works quite well enough.

Individual hunting handload development probably does at least as much for the ego as it does for the hunt.

Greg </div></div>

Just dumping the same amount of powder into the case and using a good quality bullet will produce better ammo than that at half the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remington 168gr Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded factory loads. IMHO, for hunting, no point in reinventing the wheel by trying to develop hunting handloads. Your bore will thank you.

Greg </div></div>

I have to agree...my 06 shoots the winchester supreme just fine.It has plenty of knockdown on whitetails in my part of the country, and one box will last a couple years for me bc i only shoot it at game. Ive got target rifles to take to the range so why waste barrel life on a good hunting stick?