• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Old Pulled .30 Cal. Military Tip Experience in .308 Win???

Virago

Private
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2021
Reading, PA
Getting ready to resume testing some loads for my DPMS G2-LR SASS .308 with a 16” barrel.

My main goal will be trying some of the “newer” powders (ie Varget, RL-15, etc.) behind 168, 180, and 190gr. SMK’s…..yep, though I’ve been reloading for 50+ years, I don’t have much experience with many of the powders I now see on the shelves!

Anyway, while reviewing my SMK inventory, I rediscovered a BUNCH of pulled pre-WW2 30-06 tips. As shown in the attached pic, there are two types of FMJBT’s; one with a cannelure (173 gr) and one without (175 gr), along with an AP tip of 162 gr. These are shown with a 168 SMK.

The old FMJBT’s both have a shallower BT taper as compared to the SMK, and the cannelure locations may not suit the OAL requirements of the .308 Win.

If memory serves me correctly, we used these FMJBT tips in place of SMK’s simply because of economics, and they shot well enough in our 308’s and 30-06’s during Over-the-Course military style matches. Similarly, the AP tips always seemed to perform adequately also. All the tips were pulled from DCM issued or purchased corrosive ammo.

All that said, has anyone done any load experimentation with these tips for the .308 Win.? Also found a bunch of 7.62x51 147gr. pulled tips, so I’d love to hear about anyone’s experience with these as well.

Lastly, I want any load used to perform well as fed from the magazine, not loaded individually, so any insights in this area would be appreciated also!

Thanks in advance! Mike

Attachments

• IMG_7159.jpeg
    IMG_7159.jpeg
    430.4 KB · Views: 85
They should all work fine. You will have to adjust seating depth for the 308 and any cannelures may not line up., but it really doesn't matter. I load for two AR-10 gas guns and I don't crimp.

Interesting to see you have some of the original M1 ball bullets, the one with the cannelure. You don't see those too often.

The only thing I would check on your pulled bullets is to see how hard they were pulled. Years ago, I bought a bunch of the pulled 150 gr. M2 ball bullets. Those bullets were pulled so hard the bullet was squished out of round. I was really disappointed when I discovered that.

They should all work fine. You will have to adjust seating depth for the 308 and any cannelures may not line up., but it really doesn't matter. I load for two AR-10 gas guns and I don't crimp.

Interesting to see you have some of the original M1 ball bullets, the one with the cannelure. You don't see those too often.

The only thing I would check on your pulled bullets is to see how hard they were pulled. Years ago, I bought a bunch of the pulled 150 gr. M2 ball bullets. Those bullets were pulled so hard the bullet was squished out of round. I was really disappointed when I discovered that.
Thank you so much for your reply… it reflects the assumptions I’d had.

I’ve also found a batch of 147 FMJBT tips which I believe came from military 7.62x51 cartridges, as well as some older 165 gr. FMJ flat base’s.

I pulled thousands of tips through the years, and thankfully have rarely caused the compression ring on the tips!

I’m glad to hear about your success with no crimp, as I prefer the results from uncrimped loads, yet always worry about bullet movement…. I don’t know why I’m concerned though, I never crimped my M1’s 30-06 reloads!

Let me know if you ever want to try some of these…. I’ll send you some!

Mike

That's very generous of you, I might take you up. I also own two M1-A's and three Garands. I bought my first M1-A in 1974 for $250.00. It's a 3 digit serial # Devine Texas gun. I still have it.

Reactions: MrSmith
You’re a lucky man! I’ve been downsizing both in and out of the gun safe, and my M1 was one of those which left, along with my Rem. 40X, as I didn’t shoot either class of OTC matches anymore.
Let me know if I can help!
Mike

Looks like we're on the same page. In 1994, I ordered a L/H 40 XBKS from the Remington Custom shop in 7.62 NATO. Has a 27 3/8" barrel. If I remember correctly, It cost about $1800.00. I added an Badger AI DBM mag box from George Gardner and had Terry Cross do a reinforced bolt handle on it. 👍

They weren't cheap, that's for certain! I had gotten mine at a discount as I was an Outdoor Writer at the time. Did quite a bit of gunsmithing back then too, though the 40X didn't require much! I did my gun club's M1's and 1911's.....yep, that was quite a while back!