• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

30-30 question

BrettSass844

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Germantown, OHIO
I am getting ready to do a little work on my 30-30 load development and want to experiment with some different projectiles. I noticed Hornady has a new 140 gr bullet called the 140 Grain Gilding Metal MonoFlex that they are loading in 30-30 now with a published MV of 2500 fps and 1943 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle. This is what it says in the projectile description.

"Hornady's GMX, or Gilding Metal eXpanding bullet gives hunters an expanding monolithic bullet that delivers ultra-flat trajectories and devastating terminal performance.

The gilding metal bullet is harder and tougher than a copper bullet and also helps to reduce fouling in the barrel. <span style="color: #FF0000">Made with the same polymer tip bullet used in Hornady's A-Max, InterBond and SST rounds.</span>

A GMX bullet expands 1-1/2 times its original size and retains 95% of its original weight. Their boat tail design reduces bearing surface in order to increase accuracy and consistency. This is not loaded ammunition."

So my first question is would it be safe to load the 155 A max in my tubular magazine? According to them the tips are made of the same material so I would be safe using any of the Amax, Interbond and SST bullets??? I have shot their lever evolution bullets and the tips feel a little softer that the Amax tips i have. Also they have different bullets for the Lever Evolution in 160 grain. Both are 308 diameter. However, the bullet claimed to be designed for the 308 marlin express cartridge has a higher BC. I assume it would be safe to load this one in my 30-30 as well? I am also planning on doing a little development with Sierras 125 gr flat nose. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Re: 30-30 question

I have never believed that a 30-30 recoil could set off a round in the tube.

I have thought about various ways to measure the threshold and produce a formula for gun weight, ammo weight, and ammo momentum, but I have never got off the dime and did the work. If only affects 2% of my rifle collection.

I have, however, thought about, and kept looking for any other person who did the work and posted it, and I have never seen it.

Everyone seems to agree that the precautionary 25-20 flat bullet tips are unnecessary and some 450 Alaskan wildcat actually set one off, but no one knows where the real threshold lies, or how to quantify the safety margin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerkface11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never seen a .30-30 that liked anything but traditional .30-30 bullets. </div></div>30-30s are so conservative that way. I once had one that grouped well to Mahler's 5th symphony, but that was simply a rifle preference.
grin.gif

I hunt a Marlin 336W and load a 160 grn FTX with 28 and change of H4895. I got the load data off the Hornady site for free and it states the bullets is doing 2100 fps out of the muzzle. The FPS could probably be upped the the new Hodgedon Lever Evelution powder but i have not tried it. As far as trying some of the bullets that may be meant for something else, i would probably give the techs at Hornady a call. They have never steered me wrong and are pretty helpful. Hope this helps.