• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30" barrel .338 lapua-too much weight?

Wally Pinkerton

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2014
Re-barreling my savage 110 .338 lapua with a 30" Bartlein. Rumor has it a 30" barrel is too much weight and can potentially stress the action and cause "barrel whip".

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with such a thing.

30" heavy varmint taper + muzzle brake.

-W

Maybe too much for the savage action.

If you had a bigger action with a larger barrel tenon you would be fine

I run a 30 inch in my stiller

The Savage 338 action is a solid top (adds plenty of rigidity), you will be fine.

I have a 110 BA 338 LM as well. I do not know for sure. Maybe consider calling Savage and ask to speak with a gunsmith. Just a thought.

If I may ask you a question.

I am curious to know how many shots do you have down the tube that you are replacing?
Or, did you find your stock barrel needed to be changed for better accuracy?

I have considered replacing with a Krieger myself.

Honestly I'm replacing because I'm a tinkerer, looking for added velocity, more consistent barrel temp (heating and cooling) and gain in accuracy. My factory tube is getting me .62 inches at 100 yards (during load development) 1.9 inches at 300 yards, and MOA accuracy at 1000+. I don't think I'll be happy unless I'm half MOA. Estimated roughly 500 rounds after proper break in. ~550 rounds through it.

Last edited:
Well, your 30" .338 barrel should weigh less than my 30" bartlein heavy varmint 6.5, right? Due to larger ID.
So i dont see the problem.