• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors 30 BR, is it a good choice for a suppressed round

ohio1shot

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2009
1 hour South of C-P
Hello all,
I'm new to the world of suppressors and wondered if anyone has suppressed the 30 BR cartridge. It has a low powder capacity and given the correct twist should shoot 220 gr. bullets well. It is on of the top BR cartridges, and uses a SR primer. It would also be a lot simpler to make than the 300 Whisper. Any data or feedback from those in the know, would be geatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Lloyd

Re: 30 BR, is it a good choice for a suppressed round

It works OK,but not as consistently as the 300 Whisper.
Lee has the right idea as long as your using that bolt face. I'm working on a 30 X 39 right now that may be the answer for guys that dont like futzing with cases as well as a 338 X 39 to gain a little efficiency on the br case.
You'll want a 10 twist for the 220's.

It'll work, just get aquainted with IMR4759 and AA XMR5744 powders. That's for subsonic. If you want to turn around and load supersonic you can use faster burning powders like AA2015 IMR4198. For heavier bullets you can step down a speed in powder. Like 4895 Speed. VV140-150 too. With a long barrel that'll get you 2200" or so with a 185-200 gr. bullet. YMMV, but yes, the .30 BR is a decent cartrige to work with. Just so long as you don't try to hyperdrive it where it won't go and accept that normal .30 cal. bullets just aren't going to get there anywhere near as fast as a .308 will.

Thanks for all the data. I think I'll stick with the 30BR, that way I can always just swap it over to my 308 if I want to. Same bolt face as the 308, and I have plenty of 30 cal. bullets sitting around.

What's your plan with it? The suppressed 30 cal rounds are not particularly well suited to hunting, if that's what you want to do. They just don't pack enough whollop at SS velocities for consistently clean kills.

Some argue that it's more than adequate to kill deer and elk with a 30 Whisper but I'm hard pressed to agree with that. Especially with the accounts of vital shot deer that run for hundreds of yards because you essentially shot it with a pistol round at subsonic velocities.

If you want an AR platform with the ability to go suppressed I'd look at the 458 SOCOM or the 450 Bushmaster. They fit in a standard -15 lower, you can load them hot and supersonic with high quality bullets or light and slow for suppressed hunting.

You can also easily use a 45 caliber suppressor on a 30 caliber rifle. I've done it over and over again, it works just dandy.

Both of those rounds have a 473 bolt face as well.

You can also get into hard casting lead bullets and get some very heavy bullets that pack serious punch.

My dad's last 8 deer were 1 shot kills with cast lead bullets, 7 of which were subsonic 460gr bullets from our 44 caliber wildcat.

Its called the 302 Whisper.

Good luck getting any info, much less load data about it.

I ended up going with the 300/221 in the end. I am much happier.

AKA-Spook,
I'll probably run a 22" bbl. so I'm not fighting a muzzle heavy rifle. This will be a dedicated system, so I'm not overly concerned with the ability to shoot an elk "way out yonder". 220 gr. bullets still deliver 450+ ft. lb. of energy at 200 yds. Which is plenty for my needs.