• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 blackout guys

Fenix Mike

Minuteman
Aug 19, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Suppressor is on the way, and snagging a Noveske lower today to register, so want to start planning round 2 of the 300 blackout. My last one was a 16 inch and I loaded all my ammo supersonic with 147 gr FMJs because I had no suppressor, and of course sold it because it was pointless to have it when I had 308 and 223.

Now its a different story because I want a 8 or 10 inch sub gun... most of the reading has me curious which one cycles better suppressed? I picked up a AAC SDN6 and would like to use a Noveske barrel, and had just considered ordering their 10.2 inch AAC upper since it comes ready to bolt on and has the QD flash hider already on it, but few of my buddies are trying to convince me to do an 8 inch instead. I sold my reloading stuff a while ago (I know, stupid move) so would likely run the Southwest Ammunition subs for a while until I amounted some brass and bought another Dillon, so with not being able to "customize" a load, which would be the better option? Noveske said to load the lower with a H2 buffer, and probably do a Sprinco blue spring as that combo in my other SBR has been flawless.

Thoughts? What are YOUR combos and how do they run? Big POI shift with the suppressor and subs? Anyone have any videos of their setups ? :)

My blackout build wears a 8" barrel and an AAC mini7, H2 buffer and noveske N4 upper and lower. It's only shot subs so far, as I don't see any point in a supersonic .300, but so far it functions flawlessly, and sounds like an airsoft gun. I love it.

I have a 10" Noveske 300 BLK upper on my SBR. I use a SAS titanium can, very happy with the setup. POI difference between supers and subs is huge at 100 yards, with subs hitting around 12" lower on target. The rifle cycles supers and subs perfectly with or without the can. Accuracy has been acceptable, some loads aren't great, but it likes Hornady's 208 Amax sub load. Most loads are under 2 MOA. (I have all the stuff to reload for it but haven't needed to yet)

If I could do it again, I would have bought the 8" upper instead of the 10". I doubt I gained much with super somic ammo, and I don't shoot supersonic much since the suppressor cleared.

Edit to add: my lower is a Spike's Tactical using their T2 buffer.

Last edited:
Noveske has the blk well sorted. I actually sold my 8.2" Noveske upper, but it never had a single failure with supers or subs, quiet or not.

Didn't get to do much accuracy testing before I sold it, but it shot well.

go as short as possible. Noveske=8.2. If you are willing to look at the AAC stuff my 9" upper has been flawless supers, subs, suppressed, unsuppressed, it eats everything.

You dont gain anything out of an extra 2" of barrel especially if you will be shooting mostly or all subs since you arent trying to get extra velocity by going to a longer barrel.

I have a 10" Noveske 300 BLK upper on my SBR. I use a SAS titanium can, very happy with the setup. POI difference between supers and subs is huge at 100 yards, with subs hitting around 12" lower on target. The rifle cycles supers and subs perfectly with or without the can. Accuracy has been acceptable, some loads aren't great, but it likes Hornady's 208 Amax sub load. Most loads are under 2 MOA. (I have all the stuff to reload for it but haven't needed to yet)

If I could do it again, I would have bought the 8" upper instead of the 10". I doubt I gained much with super somic ammo, and I don't shoot supersonic much since the suppressor cleared.

Edit to add: my lower is a Spike's Tactical using their T2 buffer.

I was just debating snagging the Noveske upper, considering how much fun parts are to find these days, its ready to bolt on with my can, but the voices keep telling me an 8 inch would be just awesome. I may just try to hunt down a Noveske upper (id like it to match the lower, but if I cant find one I know Vltor makes their stuff and id be just as happy with that too) and the internals.

go as short as possible. Noveske=8.2. If you are willing to look at the AAC stuff my 9" upper has been flawless supers, subs, suppressed, unsuppressed, it eats everything.

You dont gain anything out of an extra 2" of barrel especially if you will be shooting mostly or all subs since you arent trying to get extra velocity by going to a longer barrel.
Thats kind of what im thinking. I only shot supersonic before and it was fun to about 300 yards, I hear the subs are bricks after 100 yards though so the difference between 8 and 10 wouldnt be noticeable to me for closer range steel and an aimpoint on it. Sounds like 8 inch is the way to go, I have a few months at least until I get the suppressor so I have time to gather parts and will probably send the stamp for this lower out monday (I have other registered lowers so if the suppressor gets here first, I can still shoot, I just dont want to rush into a gun that id never shoot unsuppressed).

I think you can shoot subs to 300 before the drop gets ridiculous.

JBM Ballistics says with a 208g AMAX at 1050 FPS with 100 yard zero:
drop at 200 yards is 32"(4.4 mils)
drop at 300 yards is 99"(9.2 mils)
drop at 400 yards is 203"(14.1 mils)

So you would have to see if your optic has enough elevation adjustment to shoot them or if you want to try to hold off that much. For me the subsonic 300blk is a play toy round until a major manufacturer(Hornady, Sierra, Barnes, Remington, Nosler, etc...) comes up with a reliable subsonic expander. There are 2 or 3 companies out right now making expanding subsonic bullets, but they are really expensive and I think designed for hunting since the petals open up REALLY far. I would just like something that would mushroom like a pistol bullet at subsonic speeds. According to Robert Silvers of AAC there are companies working on this, but its not a top priority for them right now. I keep both Remington 125g Accu-tip's and Barnes 110g black tips loaded up for my gun, but they are obviously super sonic rounds, but they are the best performers so far out of the gun in the ballistics testing I have seen.

I do not have a 300BLK yet but I have been doing a lot of research on it for a build that I already have a lower for and will commence once I finnish my current build. Unlike most folks I see a lot of practical use for the super/subsonic 300blk out of an SBR. Check out the video by Travis Haley, 300 Blackout Year.

I do not have a 300BLK yet but I have been doing a lot of research on it for a build that I already have a lower for and will commence once I finnish my current build. Unlike most folks I see a lot of practical use for the super/subsonic 300blk out of an SBR. Check out the video by Travis Haley, 300 Blackout Year.
I liked it a bunch in supersonic, but ballistic wise they only outperform the 223 to 300-400 yards for the 147 gr compared to 62 and 69 gr 223, and after that they significantly fall off and the 223 takes over. Compared to 308 it isnt even in the same sport, and compared to a 7.62x39, it was close depending on the ammo compared to and the distance. Reloading it wasnt too expensive once the brass was made but I just had a hard time justifying the caliber when I had 223 and 308. Now that I have a suppressor coming, im really interested in this round especially since I can have an 8 inch barrel and still have solid performance out of it.

Having owned/used a few 300s (Wispers, then blackouts) ranging from 8" to 16" barrels, I will say this: even suppressed and subsonic, an 8" barrel is LOUD. More length decreases the probability of bullet instability, but it decreases sound too.

I had an 8" barrel, swapped that for a 10" barrel, then finally decided on a 12" as a nice compromise. A friend had a 16" and I did some load development for his.
Shorter is easiler to move around with, longer is quieter - all things considered.

I have an AAC full rifle on the way. It has the 9" barrel. Along with the 7.62 SDN-6 can. I plan on shooting supersonic rounds with it. Why? Because it's main purpose is hog hunting. I'll rarely be shooting out to 300 yards, but I'd like to option to do so if need be. Most hogs will be "engaged" in the 75 to 150 yard range. I could probably get away with subs, but I want it to hit just as hard at 150 yards as it does 75. Of course, i could get a gas gun in 308, but I want the barrel to be short. I know the 9" barrel + supersonic rounds will not exactly be "quiet", but will not be as loud as unsuppressed. 300 BLK meets all my requirements.

I have an AAC full rifle on the way. It has the 9" barrel. Along with the 7.62 SDN-6 can. I plan on shooting supersonic rounds with it. Why? Because it's main purpose is hog hunting. I'll rarely be shooting out to 300 yards, but I'd like to option to do so if need be. Most hogs will be "engaged" in the 75 to 150 yard range. I could probably get away with subs, but I want it to hit just as hard at 150 yards as it does 75. Of course, i could get a gas gun in 308, but I want the barrel to be short. I know the 9" barrel + supersonic rounds will not exactly be "quiet", but will not be as loud as unsuppressed. 300 BLK meets all my requirements.

As the pigs get big, this gets MUCH more complicated! I've tried many configurations and eventually always come back to a 300WM for pigs, they are just tough bastards.

I am in the process of setting up another 300BLK for pigs and yotes, I'm a slow learner. Decided to run a 16" barrel with pistol gas (mostly so I don't have to swap so many uppers onto SBR lowers), range report shortly.

You use 300WM for pigs??? I'm sure it'll shoot the crap out of them, but that's a damn expensive round for lowly hogs. Prior to my introduction to gas guns and "high cap" mags, I mainly used an open sight lever action 30-30. With the 300 BLK I'm basically using the same thing, but now I can shoot more and faster! Can't hurt when shooting into a group of those destructive bastards.

Back to the OP, I don't have any of my own personal results yet.

Good question, 2 reasons:

1. I hunt a private ranch in Laredo and do NOT like to lose animals. If you know Laredo, an animal that runs 20-30 yards might never be recovered, thick as hell.
2. Last season, several shots were in the 400-450 yard range, plenty of visibility. Stalking spooks the deer, which drives them away from blinds (so everyone is taking 250+ yard shots late in the season.) Dropping hogs quietly at 400+ yards is no 300blk game.

All that said, i am now building another 300blk for pigs and yotes. It'll be a backup gun, maybe with NV.

Given my circumstances, spending $2/round to anchor an animal to the ground is a good investment.

I hear ya. I don't really care if I find the hogs, as long as they die. However, the main reason I'm switching from .223 to 300 BLK is so I can see them drop when I shoot them! Only about 50% dropped in their tracks with the .223 (nearly all were found dead later). NV is something I should maybe consider, but I have the Elusive Technologies 250 yd light with white/green/red bulb attached to the side rail.

I have a 16" BLKout and with supersoninc ammo, i wouldn't stand in front of it at 600 yds and that is with mass loaded (by me) ammo. when fed 220 subsonic through an AAC suppressor of a friend of mine, life is real good.
what is not to love about the 300 BLKout, now 6 buddies have bought their own

Have you guys had any cycling issues with your .300BLKout's? I'm in the final stretch of building one and I was wondering if some Buffer and Spring combos are better than others, or if you would recommend the JP self-contained buffer?

I started with a carbine spring and H2 buffer with no issues and switched to a JP captured and have had no cycling problems. 10" Noveske and 30p-1 suppressor subsonic only. Never tried any supers.

I'd go with the AAC 8" upper with URX3 rail. seems like a perfect upper for the caliber

I have a few 300 blackouts the 8.5 inch cmmg pistol soon to be an sbr is great for 100 yds on in which is what I consider my maximum range with subs and this is all the 8.5 is going to run . I like the lite weight of the 16 inch smith and it makes a great 300 yd rifle for predators shooting the 110 grain v-max , the 16 inch remington 700 I havent figured out its purpose yet but it sure is fun to shoot subs with the can on.

Last edited:
Beautiful guns. I really want an SBR .300 but the state wont allow it, so I'm stuck with a 16". Oh well, at least I can have a Can.
is 100 yrds really the max effective range for the subsonic?

I hear ya. I don't really care if I find the hogs, as long as they die. However, the main reason I'm switching from .223 to 300 BLK is so I can see them drop when I shoot them! Only about 50% dropped in their tracks with the .223 (nearly all were found dead later). NV is something I should maybe consider, but I have the Elusive Technologies 250 yd light with white/green/red bulb attached to the side rail.
-
This is what I have found with using the Coyotes & .223/AR & .300blk .
& this is with ( High Vel. ONLY ) as I rarely ever shoot coyotes with subs . With shooting coyotes I find that even though the .30 bullets are going slower they put the coyote down better than the AR .

All ( 99% ) of my shots are under 150 yrd . Same Here also with the Brush & trees in W. Oregon . If the Coyote gets a good hit it still my sprint 30 or 50 yrd. before going down & dead . You will never find Body if he makes it back to the tree line .
I thought I would never switch from using an AR .223 for Coyotes . BUT . I get more dogs drop on the spot or less than 10 yrds from Hit with the .30 cal. blk. over the .223 . Bullets are slower with 110 varminters or 125 TNT's . But the proof is seeing them drop & that slower moving energy just hammers them .
Even With the 125 grn. TNT's & they are only moving 2280 Vel. out my Boltgun . I get more dogs dead on the spot than when I shot AR.233 @ 2900 fps. with V-Max's .

Beautiful guns. I really want an SBR .300 but the state wont allow it, so I'm stuck with a 16". Oh well, at least I can have a Can.
is 100 yrds really the max effective range for the subsonic?
no 100 yds is not the maximum range for subs . that is the maximum range I am comfortable with taking a shot at a deer and being able to make a clean ethical kill with the 8.5 inch barrel and red dot sight . I come to this conclusion by putting up a life size target 100 yds from a tree stand I have on a power line right of way and shooting from the blind . I could hold a 6 inch group from a semi-supported position which is good enough for the kill zone on a deer . also 100 yds is pretty well the maximum range I can see . my property is heavy timber and thick under growth.

I'd really like to see more discussion about SBR .300 rifles and the ammo being used. I have a 9" AAC MPW on its way. Please resume this thread.

Last edited:
I'd really like to see more discussion about SBR .300 rifles and the ammo being used. I have a 9" AAC MPW on its way. Please resume this thread.

I'm running a Noveske 8" with a AAC 7.62SD. I use it 99% for subs. My handloads are pretty much what AAC has for a recipe using 220g SMK's with 10.9g of 1680. It's pushing about 980fps. I haven't measured the drop from 115 UMC to my handloads at 100 yards, but using a NSN ACOG zero'd for 115's it shoots at the 600 yard hashmark on the BDC.

Twitchy have you tried any of the 175 SMKs with the Noveske? I have been using them on my 8" Noveske using a SAS Arbiter with 10.8gr AA1680 with no feed problems and lock back on empty mags. 10.9grs goes super in it so I tested from 10.6 to 10.8 and the gun likes the 10.8 the best. I have not had the chance to put it on a chrony, just using sound to keep it under supersonic. I am using the 175s because I have a couple of thousand I bought off of here.