• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes 300 blackout scope, Horus?

Jeepocabra

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2011
Idaho
I'm assembling a 300 blackout for a fun gun to go along with my suppressor and have been looking for a suitable scope for it. I have it somewhat narrowed down but just came across the Horus Hawk with the h425 reticle. After doing some searching here it appears that Horus has a bad rep for quality, However it looks like this mainly with the higher priced scopes they offer.

I like that the h425 allows for better holdover use especially with the 300's trajectories. The only other scope that comes close to having a similar reticle and price is the HDMR that is now hard to find.

Does anyone have any experience with this scope or should I just hold out and find a used HDMR with a h59 or 58, or go more traditional with a scope choice.

Re: 300 blackout scope, Horus?

There are Horus reticles in non-Horus scopes and also similar "Christmas tree" type reticles.

For example, Nightforce H58 and Velocity 1000, Leupold CMR, and Vortex EBR-2 reticles. There are probably others as well.

Subsonic 300 has a heck of a lot of drop. Whatever scope you get, you should probably get a scope mount with cant.

For my particular application of shooting steel targets, I prefer dialing it in.

The problem with all the other scopes with that type of ret is the cost. This Horus is sub $700 the NF, Vortex, and Leup are all $1000+

For my 300 I use a 2.5-10 PST with EBR-1 on a 10MOA cant mount and it works well.

I don't really understand what the 300's trajectories have to do with the usefulness of a Horus reticle.

I have a SWFA SS 3-9 mil quad on an EGW 20 MOA base. It has been able to get me out to 480 yards with a maxed turret and using holdovers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IOR 2.5-10 FFP is also good, 15 mils of drop on the reticle.

Not sub $700 though. </div></div>

I am using this scope on a whisper bolt gun with great results.

I used a SN3 H25 on a 300AAC bolt action for a few months, was able to make 700 yards with 225gr sub sonics, elevation and hold was maxed.I think the H58 in an HDMR would be a good fit.

I believe Leupold has a scope/reticle combo made for the 300BLK, might take a look at that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bedlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For my 300 I use a 2.5-10 PST with EBR-1 on a 10MOA cant mount and it works well.

I don't really understand what the 300's trajectories have to do with the usefulness of a Horus reticle. </div></div>Nor do I.

The Aimpoint serves me just fine for the entire useful range of my .300 BLK running subs. If Florida allowed suppressors while hunting I might use a different scope with supers out to 300 yards.

Nah, I'd just throw the can on my Grendel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eracer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bedlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For my 300 I use a 2.5-10 PST with EBR-1 on a 10MOA cant mount and it works well.

I don't really understand what the 300's trajectories have to do with the usefulness of a Horus reticle. </div></div>Nor do I.

The Aimpoint serves me just fine for the entire useful range of my .300 BLK running subs. If Florida allowed suppressors while hunting I might use a different scope with supers out to 300 yards.

Nah, I'd just throw the can on my Grendel. </div></div>

Really?

Perhaps physics works differently in FL than in TX. My 300 subs (usually a 208-amax or 220 RN) drop like a cheerleader on prom night. Having clearly marked drop on the vertical is immensely helpful. Sure, a 100 yard shot with a 100 yard zero is easy, but what about 50 yard shots? Or 200 yard shots? Maybe it's just my 300, but dope on a 200 yard shot is rather significant (4.7 mils), and wind can move that slow moving hunk of metal pretty dramatically.

Perhaps I expect too much, but I see no reasonable scenario that would have me putting a 2 MOA or 4 MOA dot sight on a 1 MOA gun that requires rather precise shot placement.

If it works for you, rock on. Personally, I love Aimpoints, but wouldn't consider it for a 300 shooting subs. As shots can be quick and time spinning up dope isn't always possible, I like the 15 mils of vertical drop on my IOR optic.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong.