• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Blackout Uppers - Thoughts/Opinions

ironmayden

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2012
Harleton,TX
Alright - finishing out my 300 Blackout build.

This will be a fulltime hunting rig (swine), and will be suppressed (AAC 7.62SD) fulltime as well, I will only be shooting subsonic ammo out of it - I am looking for quietness over long range performance (most shots taken will be 100yds or less)...I am looking at the following uppers:

AAC 12.5" upper
Noveske 14.5" upper
Noveske 16" upper

What is your opinion on the Upper for me to go with and why?

Thanks!

Re: 300 Blackout Uppers - Thoughts/Opinions

If you are gonna only be shooting subs and are thinking about doing an SBR, I would go as short as possible. IE 9" or less. If you do not want to go SBR, go 16" and be done with it. I would make sure that the barrel has a 1:7 twist whatever you go with though. That way you can shoot the 240's.

Dont quote me on this but i have heard that the most effective/ performance you will get out of a 300 Blackout is with a 12" barrel. Good length for subsonic, enough length for stability, long enough for supersonic, and the shorter barrel will not effect the suppressors life. Also there is no need for a muzzle brake. I have all the parts for my 300 Blackout besides the barrel. I am saving up for a 12" 300 BLK noveske barrel. Thats my opinion anyway

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ironmayden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright - finishing out my 300 Blackout build.

This will be a fulltime hunting rig (swine), and will be suppressed (AAC 7.62SD) fulltime as well, I will only be shooting subsonic ammo out of it - I am looking for quietness over long range performance (most shots taken will be 100yds or less)...I am looking at the following uppers:

AAC 12.5" upper
Noveske 14.5" upper
Noveske 16" upper

Thanks!

</div></div>

I would do 12.5" that should work with both sub and supersonic. Also, if you are going to be suppressed all the time, why not get the Cyclone or Cyclone-K and save the money you spend on the brake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ironmayden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright - finishing out my 300 Blackout build.

AAC 12.5" upper
Noveske 14.5" upper
Noveske 16" upper

Thanks!

</div></div>

What type of subsonic ammo are you going to be shooting through it? If you are hunting pigs, most of the subsonic ammo out there will have issues expanding. We have tried a lot of ammo on hogs, even the Outlaw 220gr subs have issues expanding at the slower speeds. We have had great luck with 125gr Remington Ammo, or any of the commercial reloaders out there using the MK319 130gr bullet. While it is supersonic, it has one shot killing power.

We were concerned with noise concerns too when it comes with shooting supers, our old standby for the longest time was a integrally suppressed 44mag boltgun it was super quiet and packed a hell of a punch with 300gr Hornady XTPs. But the 125 and 130s suppressed out of the 300BLK guns we use are not as bad as say shooting a 223 or 308 full power through a suppressor.

But if you are going to be shooting subs, with a suppressor, get a upper in the 8-10" barrel range.

HA,

How much are you getting for a complete 300BO upper? What are the specifications?

Depends on what you are looking for? We have built some as cheap at 700 bucks with a match grade barrel, to over 1k with all the little upgrades, like sights, boron nickel bolt, various mounts, ect.

16", unsuppressed, sub & supersonic, etc