• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 BLK Bullets 110-125 grain for hunting

Jeremiah Johnson

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2019
Texas
I use 300blk primarily for my night time hog hunts. I wanted to start reloading them. I have been using 110 grain Vmax and 115 grain Lehigh Controlled Chaos. So far I think they have been good options.

I would like to keep it around the $0.50/bullet range as I can shoot a lot if I get into a big group. Mag dumping at $1.50-2.00 each right now isn’t fun.

110 vmax
110 varmageddon
115 Controlled Chaos
110 Barnes is a little pricey
What others?

What do y’all recommend? Picture of my pig Rig. 10” Barrel DeadAir Wolfman Suppressor and Trijicon ReapIR thermal

Attachments

• A1A3126E-E7BF-4EF6-9D48-EF7C6D813F46.jpeg
    A1A3126E-E7BF-4EF6-9D48-EF7C6D813F46.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 219
I am not endorsing it, but wondering if anyone has tested the 125 grain Speer TNT in 300 BLK?

I use 300blk primarily for my night time hog hunts. I wanted to start reloading them. I have been using 110 grain Vmax and 115 grain Lehigh Controlled Chaos. So far I think they have been good options.

I would like to keep it around the $0.50/bullet range as I can shoot a lot if I get into a big group. Mag dumping at $1.50-2.00 each right now isn’t fun.

110 vmax
110 varmageddon
115 Controlled Chaos
110 Barnes is a little pricey
What others?

What do y’all recommend? Picture of my pig Rig. 10” Barrel DeadAir Wolfman Suppressor and Trijicon ReapIR thermal
I have shot a grand some total of one deer with a 300blk and was pretty impressed. I used a 115gr Fort Scott solid, and it traveled maybe 20" through soft tissue. The recovered bullet looked almost good enough to reload. They say they are supposed to tumble on impact and penetrate well. From this one case, I'd say I believe them.

I have shot a grand some total of one deer with a 300blk and was pretty impressed. I used a 115gr Fort Scott solid, and it traveled maybe 20" through soft tissue. The recovered bullet looked almost good enough to reload. They say they are supposed to tumble on impact and penetrate well. From this one case, I'd say I believe them.
I did look into these yesterday. All sold out on Fort Scotts website. I do not understand how this sorcery works.

Last edited:
I am not endorsing it, but wondering if anyone has tested the 125 grain Speer TNT in 300 BLK?
I had thought about loading this in my 308 for coyotes. I am curious how it does at 300blk speeds. Probably similar to Vmax. Both explode at 308 speeds, but decent bullet for 300blk speeds

Hornady 110 CX looks interesting, very similar to the Barnes.
They make a 110 GMX, looks very similar in construction, but the profile is different.
They don't offer the GMX bullet as a component.

110 Barnes Tac TX. It’s worth the extra coin but I had very good accuracy and results with 110 VMAX.

I’ve not killed anything with them but they’re a HP bullet so should be gtg. I shoot them though and they group well. Just looking at ballistics out of my 8” barrel, the 150 gr looks better on paper at least.

110 Barnes Tac TX. It’s worth the extra coin but I had very good accuracy and results with 110 VMAX.
Yeah if I were deer hunting with 300blk barnes is my choice. For pigs, I am shooting 20-30 rounds per hunt. I am tempted to load the Vmax or Varmageddon to stay cheap.

I have and do use 110 hornady v-max and the 110 grain varmageddon . I also use the barnes 110 grain ttsx . where I live you are more likely to shoot a deer at 100 yds or less . The barnes does an excellent job no doubt , but I have had just as good of results with both the 110 v-max and 110 grain varmageddon not to mention the savings involved .

I have and do use 110 hornady v-max and the 110 grain varmageddon . I also use the barnes 110 grain ttsx . where I live you are more likely to shoot a deer at 100 yds or less . The barnes does an excellent job no doubt , but I have had just as good of results with both the 110 v-max and 110 grain varmageddon not to mention the savings involved .
$0.35-40/Bullet vs $1.00 is definitely a selling point.

I’d stick with the 110 vmax in that case. If you can find them. I remember them being hard to find in bulk in 2021.

Reactions: Dogtown
Red River has the ttsx for .66. It's not a bad deal on a great bullet.

Had great success with Horanady 125 gr SSTs and Barnes 110 gr TAC-TX.
The 300 BO is a very effective short range deer round.

....back in the last "shortage" I found some HDY AK 123gn SST's on Grafs that I played with. Ran them through a Lee .308 bullet sizer after lubing with a "concocted" alcohol/lanolin lube (very little resistance passing thru die) and loaded them up after cleaning lube off. Cases were mixed LC converted, CCI 400 primers and Lil'Gun. Images below are 100yd charge tests and primer status after firing, Target images are approx. 3.5"w/3"h at tips, POA bottom tip of diamond (page w/19.5 load flipped), 2-7x SFP Nikon P300, 16" carbine gas Brownells/SATERN 5R, YMMV.

...they were less than $0.20 p/bullet at the time IIRC, grabbed 500 for "contingency stock"...

Attachments

• 300BLK-AK.jpg
    300BLK-AK.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 20160512_140943.jpg
    20160512_140943.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
If you're not intending to eat stuff, and can find them, the old 130gr? (I think that's what they weighed) SOST bullets were absolute murder on game. They literally shredded hogs and dropped them like Thor's hammer with a 300BO...

Not sure if Federal will ever (be able) to make them available again (there was a huge sale on the remnants that NSW Crane didn't want ,a few years back). Think it was Midway that sold them...

Thanks I will keep an eye out for the 130gr. I bought a few hundred VMAX to load up. At 300blk speeds that are decent on pigs and only $0.39/round.

I've shot a doe in the neck with a 125 TNT and it made an exit wound of about .75" dropped on the spot as expected. YMMV

Exceptionally accurate and cheap bullet for BLK as well.

I always had great success with vmax , it is currently is my hunting round for deer and hogs

Reactions: sparky702
I'm developing a VMax 110gr. load for my 10.5" barrel and having fairly good success with both H110 and Lil Gun. I just picked up 500 rounds of the Speer 125d gr. TNT's as they were almost Berry's plinking bullet cheap. Figured a plinking round that can double as a hog/deer killer, what's not to like? I've been acquiring the VMax 110's as they become available but I'd like to try the new Hornady CX. The older GMX 70gr. in 223 will kill a big hog or deer @ 100 yards no problem. But the CX is unobtanium at the moment.

Latest test round, not sure the barrel is 100% broken in as I have less than 100 rounds in it (5R button rifled). P1-P3 is H110 and P4-P7 is Lil Gun. P8/P9 are Berry's subs but not enough powder so too slow (VV120). P7 looks promising, 21.4 gr, I threw one shot but I forgot to hit the button on my Magnetospeed so it didn't record any velocities. Based on P6 which was 19.8gr., P7 should be in the mid to high 2200 range. The fastest H110 load, 19.8gr, yielded an average over 2200fps but wasn't the tightest. Zero pressure signs so I could likely go a bit higher. Test temps were 75 degrees and it's not uncommon for me to be shooting at 95F + during the summer months so I may leave it as is.

Reactions: 308sako
On reloading I found W296 at 100% loading density to be most accurate in my 9" BCM barrel. Velocity was just under 2200 ft/secs in the first barrel and now working a new tube with less than 200 rounds which is showing 60 ft/secs faster with the same previous loads. The Berger 115 FB is by far the most accurate bullets I have shot for this caliber/configuration.

At no time would I recommend trying the load shown below without working up in your rifle using industry standard methods of safety.

saFqXie.jpg

Last edited:
I'm developing a VMax 110gr. load for my 10.5" barrel and having fairly good success with both H110 and Lil Gun. I just picked up 500 rounds of the Speer 125d gr. TNT's as they were almost Berry's plinking bullet cheap. Figured a plinking round that can double as a hog/deer killer, what's not to like? I've been acquiring the VMax 110's as they become available but I'd like to try the new Hornady CX. The older GMX 70gr. in 223 will kill a big hog or deer @ 100 yards no problem. But the CX is unobtanium at the moment.

Latest test round, not sure the barrel is 100% broken in as I have less than 100 rounds in it (5R button rifled). P1-P3 is H110 and P4-P7 is Lil Gun. P8/P9 are Berry's subs but not enough powder so too slow (VV120). P7 looks promising, 21.4 gr, I threw one shot but I forgot to hit the button on my Magnetospeed so it didn't record any velocities. Based on P6 which was 19.8gr., P7 should be in the mid to high 2200 range. The fastest H110 load, 19.8gr, yielded an average over 2200fps but wasn't the tightest. Zero pressure signs so I could likely go a bit higher. Test temps were 75 degrees and it's not uncommon for me to be shooting at 95F + during the summer months so I may leave it as is.

....uhhh, I'd be careful using max loads of H110 and LilGun in 95F that were tested at 75F. My locale has average YEAR-ROUND temp of 83F and my experience with H110 saw it go from "mild" to "wild" in as little as a 0.2gn change in charge weight. LilGun less so. That "avg 83F" in the summer months will actually be in the high 80's to low-mid 90's depending on time of day...

Hornady 135gr FTX

I just re-read the thread title. These are overweight as to what you're looking for. I can attest to the lethality of these bullets first hand though.

Reactions: Jeremiah Johnson