• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 BLK subsonic bolt options

Rh0dz

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2019
FL
www.impressionzprinting.com
I would like to get a good quality 300BLK bolt action to strictly shoot subs. What are my options? I'd rather get something nice than the Ruger but don't want to drop 3k+ on a Q or B&T. Folding stock would be a plus but not a requirement.

This is probably over your proposed budget, but a receiver that takes prefit barrels with a 16" CF barrel in a KRG W3 folder would be awesome.
I let my long time smith talk me out of my Rem. 700 300blk a couple years ago. Was honestly one of the funnest guns to shoot I've
ever owned. May have to build another one soon.

This is probably over your proposed budget, but a receiver that takes prefit barrels with a 16" CF barrel in a KRG W3 folder would be awesome.
I let my long time smith talk me out of my Rem. 700 300blk a couple years ago. Was honestly one of the funnest guns to shoot I've
ever owned. May have to build another one soon.
What action/receiver?

I have a Tikka in 223. I'm thinking of getting a 300 blk prefit to bounce back and forth with.

Haven't had the chance to take it out yet, but I got an Oryx chassis for the Howa mini action. Seems solid except for the mags.

I would like to get a good quality 300BLK bolt action to strictly shoot subs. What are my options? I'd rather get something nice than the Ruger but don't want to drop 3k+ on a Q or B&T. Folding stock would be a plus but not a requirement.
A Christensen arms mpp or a jtac elf owl would be perfect.

Reactions: FuhQ

The problem with the Christensen MPP is that it uses an AICS format plastic mag. It will never accommodate heavy sub bullets via the mag. The AICS mags are .223 mags and the nose profile channel is sized for pointy bullets. It really needs to be an AR mag to feed correctly
MDT makes some really nice and high-end metal/polymer hybrid AICS .223 mags that work great, and allow you to seat out to 2.500".

And you are incorrect... I'm running a Magpul Hunter SA Ruger chassis that uses AICS mags, and Magpul AICS 556 mags for my .300 BLK and it feeds absolutely perfectly.

IMG_6587.jpeg
IMG_5995.jpeg

The problem with the Christensen MPP is that it uses an AICS format plastic mag. It will never accommodate heavy sub bullets via the mag. The AICS mags are .223 mags and the nose profile channel is sized for pointy bullets. It really needs to be an AR mag to feed correctly
Never noticed that issue with the mags before. In that case, a ruger American ranch in .300blk with an Indian creek mofo chassis would work also with standard ar mags.

Do you actually have any of the MDT 223 mags?
Yes, 2 of them, but they don’t feed reliably with the Magpul chassis, so I had to buy the Magpul PMag AICS 556 mags for it to work right. The Magpul chassis mag well is just slightly taller than a standard chassis, so it didn’t feed reliably, and required me to use their PMAG 556 mags. Kind of dumb, but I guess they want sales security. 🙄 Any other AICS chassis the MDT mags will work just fine. I kept the MDT mags for if I ever upgrade that rifle to a different chassis, or buy/build a better .300 BLK bolt gun.

IMG_6165.jpeg

The Ridgeline looks like a slick minimalist setup but the price for what it is not so much.

I have never owned a Christiansen rifle but the ones i have handled primarily the MPR the actions felt gritty and not very smooth and not what i would consider a $2000 + rifle should feel like.
Maybe they break in nicely but i have handled rack grade rem 700's that were way smoother.
I would go with the ruger option.

I handled one a couple of days ago. I even considered buying it. The action felt better than what I thought it would. The weight is a huge benefit. I don't think you could build something that light. $2300 is a bit steep but if you add the components to build something similar it will cost more than $2300. At the end of the day, I already have a Origin that I bought to SBR and drop into a Pork Sword chassis and I definitely don't want to be stuck with a Christensen action. But I really do wish it came with an AR mag bottom metal. That might have pushed me over the edge of buying it.
Like i said they may smooth out nicely and maybe the ones ive handled had just been pulled from the box and put on the shelf.
I do really like the MPR and the reason i find myself handling them occasionally, guess i am just spoiled by the smoothness of Kelbly nitrided actions as they come straight from the box.

The Ridgeline looks like a slick minimalist setup but the price for what it is not so much.

I have never owned a Christiansen rifle but the ones i have handled primarily the MPR the actions felt gritty and not very smooth and not what i would consider a $2000 + rifle should feel like.
Maybe they break in nicely but i have handled rack grade rem 700's that were way smoother.
I would go with the ruger option.
I own both…The Ruger is a shit rifle comparatively. Just being honest. They’re not bad guns, just definitely $500 guns. My American Ranch .300 BLK is so loose, the bolt literally rotates out of track and can be removed without ever touching the bolt release button. I’ll probably end up sending it back in to Ruger for repair/replace. 😑

The Christensen rifles do break-in nicely and get smoother.

Reactions: XLR308
View attachment 8113095

I ask bc this is what I was referring to by being limited using heavier bullets. This is a 200gr Maker jammed into the feed lips of a MDT AICS mag. I also have problems with 190gr Nosler BTHPs in it doing the same thing. I use these mags for .223 as well so I don't want to reprofile the plastic sleeve. Although a person could probably clearance them if they were only shooting 300BO.

And the MPP comes with the old style AI AICS plastic 223 mags where the nose channel is even narrower. I know you won't be able to fit fat noses in those mags, which is what I was saying. Despite the different mags that you use.

You can probably find some pointy high BC bullets in the 200gr range that will funnel through the sleeve of the MDT mags but not every bullet will feed well. The MAGPUL AICS mags looks good tho. Maybe that would be their solution. Either way an AR mag well would fix all that and give a higher capacity. And be compatible with your ARs.
I’m running 220’s and 210’s and not having those problems. Maybe you should try a different bullet. In the picture is a Berry’s 220 made for the .300 BLK. It’s seated moderately in depth, as those are for plinking in my AR’s. I can load Berger 210 VLD’s 0.010” off the lands of my RAR, and still have plenty of room.

You can probably find some pointy high BC bullets in the 200gr range that will funnel through the sleeve of the MDT mags but not every bullet will feed well. The MAGPUL AICS mags looks good tho. Maybe that would be their solution. Either way an AR mag well would fix all that and give a higher capacity. And be compatible with your ARs.
The only problem with the AR mags, is the COAL limitations. Also, the factory plastic Ruger stock made you use the STANAG (AR) mags pushes the mag too hard against the bottom of the bolt, making cycling a pain in the ass.

I own both…The Ruger is a shit rifle comparatively. Just being honest. They’re not bad guns, just definitely $500 guns. My American Ranch .300 BLK is so loose, the bolt literally rotates out of track and can be removed without ever touching the bolt release button. I’ll probably end up sending it back in to Ruger for repair/replace. 😑

The Christensen rifles do break-in nicely and get smoother.
Damn it sounds like you definately should send the ruger back for inspection/repair.
Isnt it the same action as the American rifle ?
I have allways heard they are pretty good for cheaper budget beat around the woods guns.
And i have no doubt the ruger doesnt compare to a $2000 rifle and it shouldnt, other wise everyone would be scooping them up.

Damn it sounds like you definately should send the ruger back for inspection/repair.
Isnt it the same action as the American rifle ?
I have allways heard they are pretty good for cheaper budget beat around the woods guns.
And i have no doubt the ruger doesnt compare to a $2000 rifle and it shouldnt, other wise everyone would be scooping them up.
Yes, same basic action. The AR magazine models have a slightly different designed bolt, to accommodate feeding from an AR magazine, the bottom of the bolt itself is machined flat.

Yes, my Ruger American is excessively sloppy. It’s definitely out of the norm. I’ll most-likely end up sending it back to Ruger someday. For now, it still shoots and works, just not exceptionally well, and with lots of bolt-play.

I have a CA MPR and Accurate Mags for 6.5 PRC. The mags rattle when installed. Never any feed problems but seems sloppy for the money. Also agree the action/bolt do seem a little sloppy for the price as well. Not bad just not butter smooth like a custom rifle. All in all it’s a great rifle though.

Reactions: FuhQ and XLR308
I have a CA MPR and Accurate Mags for 6.5 PRC. The mags rattle when installed. Never any feed problems but seems sloppy for the money. Also agree the action/bolt do seem a little sloppy for the price as well. Not bad just not butter smooth like a custom rifle. All in all it’s a great rifle though.
I'm enjoying my MPR's and my Ridgelines. The 16" MPR's are quickly becoming my favorites for just straight-up range, targets, and varmints. The Ridgelines are perfect for deer hunting because of the extremely light weight, even with the Zeiss V4 6-24x50's on top.

I will say this, I did notice the silght sloppiness in the MPR mag with the factory plastic mag in the .308 Win (same as you describe), but I bought a couple of the MDT steel mags without the front binder plate (Longer COAL) and it helped some. The factory plastic mag that comes in the .308 Win can be chunked in the trash, IMO. Kind of cheap of them to do for a $2,400 MSRP rifle. The 6mm ARC came standard with a 12-round MDT steel 6mm ARC mag, so that was a nice touch.

They do feed reliably, and never had a hiccup in function or a mag fall out. I think the wiggly design is due in-part to the left side of the chassis's magwell being shorter in height than the right side... I think they did that for quicker reloads, or something?

I have been looking for a reasonably priced older 1:7 R700 SPS AAC 300blk. Everyone wants $1000 or more for the rifle and it used to be a $600 gun. Debating on going down the route of an R700 action with a remage barrel.

I have a manners eh2 already inleted so it would have to be an R700 pattern. Although I did just list it in the PX since I need another project like a hole in my head.

Mainly because I don't want to shoot those bullets. Berry's are expensive for what they are. And no way I would pay Berger prices for a subsonic plinking bullet. If you want a subsonic bullet made for expansion then you're going to end up with a copper specialty bullet like the Makers. And that's where these mags have limits.

That's a Ruger problem more than it's an AR mag problem.
Your mag looks different than mine... I think you might have an older version. The newer versions (like I have) are specifically designed to work with both 223 and 300 BLK without issues. You might just need to upgrade your mags to newer ones.

Howa mini action in .223, pull the barrel, replace with a howage in .300 blk.
Better action than a Remington, better trigger than a Remington, better bolt than a Remington and its cheaper

Hmm. Well that is interesting. I just heard over the weekend MDT is going to sell replacement sleeves so maybe I can upgrade if there is a newer sleeve.
That would probably be the way to go. Especially if it's noticeably cheaper than new mags.

I also forgot to mention... The MDT mags that are designed to work with .300 BLK as well as .223 are ONLY the metal mags (the ones I linked to in a post above). The polymer mags will not run with .300 BLK (according to several sources that I read). So, make sure you're using the metal mags.

^^^that’d be a lot cooler in 8.6 Blk

Yeah, 300 Blk is old news unfortunately in the subsonic game.

If it wasn't proposed already...here are two options:

Howa mini in 300 BO. They are going to be imported again over the next 6-8 months. Crappy soft stock. ~$500 + $420 MDT Oryx.

Tikka 223 lite ($750), pull the barrel, get a criterion $400 (probably more with threaded and coated, like $600 total). Keep the cheap Tikka stock. It's good enough for 300 BO...its not a long distance shooter or inherently accurate round anyway. Out to 100 yard, the precision will be good enough. All in ~$1500 with tools, go/no go gauges, etc.

I'm waiting for the Howa mini, will keep the cheap stock. Maybe upgrade trigger to a single stage that I prefer ($140). The 6-8 months wait will coincide with a suppressor getting to me.

I would much prefer the Tikka action, but too cost prohibitive when you think about it.

If it wasn't proposed already...here are two options:

Howa mini in 300 BO. They are going to be imported again over the next 6-8 months. Crappy soft stock. ~$500 + $420 MDT Oryx.

Tikka 223 lite ($750), pull the barrel, get a criterion $400 (probably more with threaded and coated, like $600 total). Keep the cheap Tikka stock. It's good enough for 300 BO...its not a long distance shooter or inherently accurate round anyway. Out to 100 yard, the precision will be good enough. All in ~$1500 with tools, go/no go gauges, etc.

I'm waiting for the Howa mini, will keep the cheap stock. Maybe upgrade trigger to a single stage that I prefer ($140). The 6-8 months wait will coincide with a suppressor getting to me.

I would much prefer the Tikka action, but too cost prohibitive when you think about it.
I really want a howa 300 Blackout. Where did you hear about them re importing them. I just emailed them a couple of days ago and asked about a 300 barrel for a 223 mini action. They stated that they were discontinued the 300 b.o. and none would be available

I really want a howa 300 Blackout. Where did you hear about them re importing them. I just emailed them a couple of days ago and asked about a 300 barrel for a 223 mini action. They stated that they were discontinued the 300 b.o. and none would be available
A few months ago I emailed them and they said they are bringing it back, but have had some delays. Guy said 200 days or something silly like that. I will wait it out. Hope it happens. I would buy it over the ruger ranch any day. The Tikka would be supremely better for me (biased toward Tikka), but the cost is too high.

If your going the r700 route you’ll be better to start with a factory blk or fireball. The extractor is clocked in a different position compared to the .223 bolt

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
I found an Accurate Ordnance 223 Action and am having @FisherT&C throw on a 16” Wilson barrel. I think I am into the action and trigger for $800, so the cost works out to be just over what the older R700 16” SPS rifles are now going for with a custom action on it. I would just hunt for a deal in the PX. Or go the Origin route for prefits.

Reactions: kindabitey
I got another email from Legacy today. Don't expect any of the Howa 300BO to arrive till end of the year, or early 2024. My bet is early to mid 2024.

buy a Rem 700 in 223 and slap a remage barrel on it
In my reading on this topic, seems like the R700 doesn't feed/extract 300 BO well. If you got yours working, that is great.

I can wait for the Howa Mini, have other gun related purchases anyway. But, hope Tikka wakes up and builds a 300 bo.

Well your kind of showing your ignorance on that statement! Nice how? Winchester Super Grade Nice? Voodoo Tactical Nice?

The cheap Ruger American you so enjoy pooping on is probably the most accurate factory produced rifle at any price point currently on the market out of the box. They often outshoot rifles that cost 4X to 6X as much and have much heavier barrels and far better stocks.

I have not found one that would not shoot between .3 and .8 MOA if you had 4 or 5 premium brands of ammo to try. Not seen one that you could not get under .5 MOA @100 yards with hand loads. I owned one myself and now one of my sons owns it. He would not trade or sell that rifle for anything it is his goto coyote rifle in 243 Win. I gave him prob. 4 boxes of 109gr. Winchester White Box ammo.

Yes the Ruger American is full of price point compromises in it's design. That is also why they can afford to manufacture it with a lot of precision CNC machining. The Ruger American is the foundation for the Ruger Precision a lot of guys are just too ignorant to get that point. If you think the Ruger American is poop than you also think the Ruger Precision is poop!

There is a reason an engineering reason that Ruger built the Ruger Precision off of the Ruger American and not the Hawkeye or M77 MkII!!!

Now if you want an action that is built like a Brick $h!t House with forging and old school expensive manufacturing methods that might not be as accurate out of the box but can be blueprinted later on I would go with the Howa Mini Action in 300BLK! If I was buying a bolt action 300BLK I would purchase a Howa because I like and value forged steel action, integral recoil lug, flat bottom action, forged one piece bolt etc....

If the price was right though I would not look down on the Ruger. You have a better chance getting a sub MOA rifle out of a Ruger than a Howa but long term owner ship and lots of use favors the Howa.

Sadly Tikka does not make a 300BLK last I checked or I would recommend them as well! I do not think I would ever get a bolt gun in 300BLK. Too many cartridges out perform it in a bolt gun platform. You can load any cartridge subsonic if you reload. It would be better to invest in reloading gear and get a mentor to show you the ropes! This way you can make any cartridge sub sonic. If you think 300BLK subsonic is a blast a supressed lever gun in 45-70 with subsonic loads would make you wet yourself!

Good Luck with what ever path you chose!

I assume you haven't seen how poorly the bolt to action fit is on a Ruger. Watch some videos, maybe you got lucky with your Ruger. Every time you cycle it, it sounds like a huge zipper going up and down. Ruger doesn't pop into my mind when I think quality, precision, etc. Cheap...that is for sure. Take a look at the Ruger rimfire "precision". That is mess. Don't know about their center fire RPR. But also don't hear much positives on them (admittedly, I don't go out of my way to look for RPR reviews....because I don't want to take a chance on a Ruger). I'd rather throw my money on a Tikka, Howa, Bergara, CZ, Savage, pretty much anything.

Your claims of sub MOA, seems pretty lofty.

Tikka used to have a 300 bo a while back. They may bring it back, but who knows. Beretta is the importer on Tikka and my gun shop says Beretta is killing the Tikka brand with poor customer service.

Anyone wanting a 300 BO without spending 3k on one has to either buy a Howa if it ever comes here or build one. The build is going to be pretty expensive, around 1.5- 2k all in, give or take. Would be a nice gun, but for what? A caliber that isn't inherently accurate, reasonable accuracy max range of 200 yards? You don't need a 2k gun for that. The Howa or a Tikka (if they every make it again) would get you there for far less. It would tare me up to spend 600-750 on a custom barrel (adding threading, cerakote, etc. will bring even the criterion to that range) for a gun that is limited to 200 yards with reasonable accuracy.

I have owned this Remington 700 AAC-SD 300 Blackout for 11 years It is still wearing an old leupold MK4 2.5x8x36 optic . I have killed a bunch of deer with this rifle shooting sub's . To address the howa mini-action I have one in 5.56 and it is in no way smoother than the 700 . It sounds like a zipper when running the bolt . If I were to get another bolt action 300 blackout I would just pick up an origin short action and buy a shouldered prefit .
IMG_0443.jpeg

I have owned this Remington 700 AAC-SD 300 Blackout for 11 years It is still wearing an old leupold MK4 2.5x8x36 optic . I have killed a bunch of deer with this rifle shooting sub's . To address the howa mini-action I have one in 5.56 and it is in no way smoother than the 700 . It sounds like a zipper when running the bolt . If I were to get another bolt action 300 blackout I would just pick up an origin short action and buy a shouldered prefit .

My opinion on a custom action and barrel for 300 bo is that it is a waste of money. This is not a caliber that can benefit from that $700 custom barrel or the action. Other than that, if I was to go the custom action, I would look at the ARC CDG myself (seems like it has alot of the bells and whistles we want). In fact, if the Howa 300 bo doesn't get to the US, I will be forced to convert my Tikka 223 to 300 BO and buy a CDG and a 223 barrel. WAY more money than I want to spend to be able to plink with 300 BO suppressed. Quick math = ~$3k. Not fun! The things we waste our $ on.

Last edited:
My opinion on a custom action and barrel for 300 bo is that it is a waste of money. This is not a caliber that can benefit from that $700 custom barrel or the action. Other than that, if I was to go the custom action, I would look at the ARC CDG myself (seems like it has alot of the bells and whistles we want). In fact, if the Howa 300 bo doesn't get to the US, I will be forced to convert my Tikka 223 to 300 BO and buy a CDG and a 223 barrel. WAY more money than I want to spend to be able to plink with 300 BO suppressed. Quick math = ~$5k. Not fun! The things we waste our $ on.
Then buy a ruger and be done .

Reactions: xsn10s
Who makes a shouldered pre fit for bighorn tl3 that is inexpensive and fast turn around?
Could pick up a green mountain blank and have a local smith spin it up for about $500 total.

Ended up buying a ruger American 300 blk. Spent 2 hours getting rid of the machine marks on the bolt. Lubed and cycled it for another hour. It feels half way decent now.

Ended up buying a ruger American 300 blk. Spent 2 hours getting rid of the machine marks on the bolt. Lubed and cycled it for another hour. It feels half way decent now.
What did you use on the bolt. I did some horse trading for a ruger and it feels like crap lol.

What did you use on the bolt. I did some horse trading for a ruger and it feels like crap lol.
So i used 400-2000 grit with wd40 then flitz. I used 100 to knock the visible machine marks then went to town. I also work the bolt. A couple thousand times. Very smooth now.

Reactions: XP1K and Eo12
I've shot 300 blackout on my bighorn TL3 action for the last couple years. I already owned the gun, I just bought a 300BO prefit barrel. Three years later I decided I wanted a more compact standalone gun so I ordered a Black Collar Arms chassis in December and bought an Origin. With a Hunts recoil lug the TL3 prefits will headspace on this action. I will order an Atibal 1-10x and use this setup for a 9" 300BO barrel and a 338 Spectre since Zermatt has SPC bolt faces available. If I later decide this was a dumb idea I still have a quality action worth keeping and I can make it a .223, a standard 308 BF cartridge, or a magnum. Regardless of the cartridge I consider buying an action some sort of investment. Regardless of what I happen to be shooting out of it at the moment.

If your going the r700 route you’ll be better to start with a factory blk or fireball. The extractor is clocked in a different position compared to the .223 bolt
So what's the deal with this ? I built a 300blk early on when the cartridge first came out from a 223rem 700 that I had and it never would extract. I finally just gave up and found a 308 bolt for it and cut the chamber to 308win. It had an 8 twist lilja on it. Gun was always a hammer when it was a 300blk and still is as a 308. But it never would extract the 300blk. It would lose the case about half way out and you'd have to dump it or fish it out with your finger.