• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 BLK subsonic bolt options

I built my own, because finding a 300blk that I wanted wasn't really out there; everything had baggage associated with it so I started with a clean slate.

Well...mainly I got an ARC Nucleus on sale last Thanksgiving and realized I didn't have a plan for it, so I made one ;)

IMG_2234.jpg

IMG_2248.jpg

ARC Nucleus, Preferred Barrels 9" 1/7" 300blk with a Sig taper, JTAC Screech Owl chassis, PMM "Kate Moss" stock, with a super early rev Dead Air Nomad-30 on the end of it, and a TriggerTech special on bottom. On top is an ancient 2001-ish Tasco Super Sniper 10x, which works for now...I've got another optic on order for it. I ordered the barrel and filed the paperwork to SBR it the same week; I got the SBR stamp back about a month before the barrel showed up :LOL: Not a knock on Preferred; all the barrel makers/fitters are slammed these days. Anyway the barrel just showed up on Friday, and yesterday I took it out just to make sure it wasn't a basket of shit.

This was my best group at 50 yards; 5 rounds, round #s 61-65, Sig factory 220gr OTM subsonics:

IMG_2245.jpg

Yeah yeah only 50 yards, I get it...but with a janky not-exactly-precision chassis and stock, on an action I slapped together using an old AR barrel vice and cut up blue jeans as a vice jaw insert, I'll freaking take it. When the optic I ordered for it comes in and I'm able to mount that, I'll take it back out and zero at 100 yards just because.

The only issues I had with it were mag/feed related; Ruger .223 AICS mags don't feed at all so that's a wash; Magpul 223 AICS mags feed 3-4 rounds then rounds nosedive; you need to yank the mag and reseat the rounds and resume...the only mags that worked %100 were MDT plastic 223 AICS mags. But they are TIGHT...you need to really manhandle them in and out, not something you can do one-handed when seated or with the gun shouldered, really. At least not on mine. They seem a little wide for the stock; some rub/burnishing marks on both sides of the mag where it makes contact. I've got a few more on order now that I know they fit and work, even if they are tight.

Was it worth an expensive action, barrel, chassis, and time? Eh...maybe not really unless you have a varmint problem and need something small to pack in/out and hunt with? For a toy it's fun, though expensive. It is nice that you can fold it up to a tiny thing and shove it in a backpack...

I think money wise I'm a bit under a Q Mini Fix pistol and maybe even a little under a Christensen MPP, especially when you factor in the price of the stock and stamp which you'd need for both of those anyway.

Reactions: Eo12 and Gwak2006
If it wasn't proposed already...here are two options:

Howa mini in 300 BO. They are going to be imported again over the next 6-8 months. Crappy soft stock. ~$500 + $420 MDT Oryx.

Tikka 223 lite ($750), pull the barrel, get a criterion $400 (probably more with threaded and coated, like $600 total). Keep the cheap Tikka stock. It's good enough for 300 BO...its not a long distance shooter or inherently accurate round anyway. Out to 100 yard, the precision will be good enough. All in ~$1500 with tools, go/no go gauges, etc.

I'm waiting for the Howa mini, will keep the cheap stock. Maybe upgrade trigger to a single stage that I prefer ($140). The 6-8 months wait will coincide with a suppressor getting to me.

I would much prefer the Tikka action, but too cost prohibitive when you think about it.
Where/when did you hear that? Judging by the lack of his presence, I assume Matt @ LSI is gone. I really want a Howa in .300, but they're impossible to find. I thought they were discontinued?

Last edited:
I put one together off a used Accurate Ordnance action I picked up. This is the build and what it cost me.

Accurate Ordnance Action (223 bolt), 20MOA Stiller Rail, Timney 517 Trigger, 2 Mags - $800
Wilson #4 16” Barrel threaded 5x8/24 from Fisher T&C - $600
Timney HIT Trigger (less the funds from selling the 517) - $125
KRG Bravo w. NV Bridge (had it lying around so estimating cost) - $500
Bushnell LRTS Elite FDE 4.5-18 - $650
ADM 30MOA Mount - $190

So I am into it for about $2,900. Shoots great with N110 and 220 Nosler Custom Competitions. It is honestly one of my favorite guns to shoot. I have the zero stop set about 2 mils below so I can dial down for factory Barns 110s and be pretty zeroed at 100 yards for critters if I see any. The Rex Maker 220 Expanding Subsonics hold the same POA/POI as the 220 Noslers, however, they really over penetrate (like through 3.5’+ of water jugs) which I have heard is common with those types of bullets, so I don’t expect to hunt anything outside of a squirrel or the local porcupine with them.

Attachments

• 1BBD4E20-53EC-4A38-A145-E9E1F6764D9B.jpeg
    1BBD4E20-53EC-4A38-A145-E9E1F6764D9B.jpeg
    915.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 08BC8AD1-813B-4674-8F39-D8079CF207EB.jpeg
    08BC8AD1-813B-4674-8F39-D8079CF207EB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
  • 504B6890-ACDC-4988-916F-12A1C44608D0.jpeg
    504B6890-ACDC-4988-916F-12A1C44608D0.jpeg
    453.1 KB · Views: 70
Where/when did you hear that? Judging by the lack of his presence, I assume Matt @ LSI is gone. I really want a Howa in .300, but they're impossible to find. I thought they were discontinued?
I have been in touch with a Legacy sports rep. In May he told me he expects the new 300 bo rifles and barreled actions to arrive state side later this year or early next year. Keep your eyes open. There is one site that claims to have them, but its a scam site. howaguns.com stay away!

I have been in touch with a Legacy sports rep. In May he told me he expects the new 300 bo rifles and barreled actions to arrive state side later this year or early next year. Keep your eyes open. There is one site that claims to have them, but its a scam site. howaguns.com stay away!
Thanks! Already found the scam site too...lol

I put one together off a used Accurate Ordnance action I picked up. This is the build and what it cost me.

Accurate Ordnance Action (223 bolt), 20MOA Stiller Rail, Timney 517 Trigger, 2 Mags - $800
ADM 30MOA Mount - $190

So I am into it for about $2,900. Shoots great with N110 and 220 Nosler Custom Competitions. It is honestly one of my favorite guns to shoot. I have the zero stop set about 2 mils below so I can dial down for factory Barns 110s and be pretty zeroed at 100 yards for critters if I see any. The Rex Maker 220 Expanding Subsonics hold the same POA/POI as the 220 Noslers, however, they really over penetrate (like through 3.5’+ of water jugs) which I have heard is common with those types of bullets, so I don’t expect to hunt anything outside of a squirrel or the local porcupine with them.
Nice looking rifle and a great looking pooch . congrats on both .

Reactions: NHPiper
Does Howa have a presence on any forums? I presume Matt is gone

ADM 30MOA Mount - $190

What mags are you running? Any feeding issues?

While I love my 300bo and it’s super cheap to load for (supers and subs), if I was going to get something like you described I’d be picking up a .22 or .223. Right now I’m deciding between a cz .22 and a .223 for a bolt action trainer

What mags are you running? Any feeding issues?
The MDT 223 plastic mags. The metal Accurate mags didnt feed well and the older plastic AI mags were garbage. No issues with the MDT ones.

The MDT 223 plastic mags. The metal Accurate mags didnt feed well and the older plastic AI mags were garbage. No issues with the MDT ones.
I‘m hit and miss with my MDT plastic magazines, with 220gr. sub’s, I’m having issues with the bolt over riding the rim of the case which causes the next round in the magazine to nose dive and hang up. With 110gr. and 125gr. supers the rounds pop out of the magazine and hang up on the barrel. With other plastic MDT’s, I don’t have any feeding issues.

My Accurate 223 magazines don’t work with sub’s unless I message the plastic insert where it comes in contact with the bullet, but function great with the lighter supers.

Strangely, I have the best luck with my old plastic AISC 223 magazines that gave me fits in my 223 rifles.

I haven’t tried the metal MDT 223 magazines yet, but I’m probably going to pick up a couple and give them a try.

I’m running a new RAR serial number Remington action with an old Remington 300 Blk barrel cut to 9” that might be 1:7 twist or it might be a 1:10 twist. No feeding or extracting issues that aren’t actual magazine issues.
YPRmPYs.jpg

Reactions: NHPiper