• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 300 Norma glass.

Bigrederic

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2018
Petersburg Alaska
So, long story short, a few months back I built a 6.5PRC, and in the process I upgraded the glass on my .308 at the same time. I ended up settling on S&Bs PMIIs with H59s.

I decided to make the jump from MOA to MiL and not look back. I had been shooting my .308 with a Vortex PST, first gen 2nd focal plane scope before upgrading when the new rifle was built. That Vortex was a great learning tool...

So now after shooting a buddies 300 Norma mag, I am getting one built, and again back at selecting glass. I live on a remote Island in SE Alaska, so sampling a lot of different glass is hard. I have time behind S&B, Kahles and some older Vortex products. I am really intrigued by the Razer HD line (the price is just so good on them) and the 7x35 ATAC R NF's are also really is interesting me (they are on so many larger caliber rifles I see)

Anyone have any recommendations, buying another PMII is the simplest solution, but how many PMII's can a guy have? I have the itch to try some other things.

Thanks in advance to anyone who want to provide a opinion.

I run a razor hd 5-20 on my 338 Norma and really like it. My gen 2 glass is slightly better but the 5-20 has more adjustment (36mil vs 28) and for the price you can’t beat it

Mine will have a USO B25 on it. The rifle is still being built. These choose the glass topics are always intriguing....

I will only buy glass with lifetime warranties. I don’t care what company makes it, it will eventually need repaired, maybe a few times. I prefer not to have to pay for that repair.

So I only purchase from certain companies. Once you get in tier 1 and 2, the glass is pretty much a moot point.

Good luck with your choice.

Reactions: Bigrederic
I'm building one now and putting my 7-35 Mil-C on it (coming off a PRS rifle). A Tangent Gen3XR will replace it for PRS use on my 6BR. The PMII is an awesome awesome scope, but for ELR especially in cold weather where there's little mirage I think you'll like a clear 35x scope.

I personally would agree with you but surprisingly spotting impacts is pretty easy even getting really close to a mile with that combo.

Big difference between a 300 grain 338 bullet and a 230 grain 30 cal splash at 2000. OP is shooting a 300 norma which is the reason I'd suggest a bit more power. The 3.5-26 henny would be amazing if it's in his price range.

Reactions: Bigrederic
I have the trijicon accupower 4.5-30 on my 300 nm. Really clear all the way through, tracks perfect, and cheaper than most of the other options. I only wish it had the h59 or tremor 3 reticle, but there's isn't a bad reticle either.

Not in the price range you are shopping, but I run a plain old XTR2 in 5-25 on mine. I see the splash on the mile target at my range without issue. And I've ran the rifle out to 2100 yards...

One can never have too many PMii’s. Either another 5-25 or try one of the 3-27’s or 5-45’s. And damn, living on a remote island sounds amazing as I navigate through the concrete jungle.

If you already have some PMII's and want to try something different get an ATACR 7-35.

Also I'm not certain how shipping to Alaska effects pricing and these ammo/components prices are for the lower 48 but I just want to make sure that you're aware that 300PRC shots the same projectile as 300NM but Hornady's loaded ammo is $30/box cheaper and only 40fps slower. Or if you're reloading Hornady 300PRC's brass $0.90/ea cheaper that 300NM. The cost/performance ratio of 300PRC really is insane for what you're getting so not to start a caliber discussion in the optics section but I just wanted to sure that you're aware of it and I'll drop it so we can get back on topic.

It is awful nice...
Ive been trying to sell or trade my new LRR reticle SB pm2 i thought center dot but too small.but its for 300norma long range.that center dot makes plenty sense at father distance.i might keep it.but for 300nm id say pm2 5-25 is perfect up 2k yards.pick your preferred reticle

If you already have some PMII's and want to try something different get an ATACR 7-35.

Also I'm not certain how shipping to Alaska effects pricing and these ammo/components prices are for the lower 48 but I just want to make sure that you're aware that 300PRC shots the same projectile as 300NM but Hornady's loaded ammo is $30/box cheaper and only 40fps slower. Or if you're reloading Hornady 300PRC's brass $0.90/ea cheaper that 300NM. The cost/performance ratio of 300PRC really is insane for what you're getting so not to start a caliber discussion in the optics section but I just wanted to sure that you're aware of it and I'll drop it so we can get back on topic.

I really looked hard at 300PRC. But living where I am the local hardware dont have allot ammo selection, and UPS and FedEx dont ship ground here. So with the USPS not shipping ammo either, we all reload. We can buy ammo and have it shipped to the barge and wait for it to come up... but that is expensive as well... we get a group of guys together to ship powder and primer orders though.

And since there are already Norma shooters on island it just is easier... I am also thinking about having a .338 barrel spun up as well.

Also brass may be more money, but guys seem to be getting better life out of it then Hornday 300PRC brass.... at least what I have read in the threads.

This can be debuted to the end of time though.

Reactions: roamin
I really looked hard at 300PRC. But living where I am the local hardware dont have allot ammo selection, and UPS and FedEx dont ship ground here. So with the USPS not shipping ammo either, we all reload. We can buy ammo and have it shipped to the barge and wait for it to come up... but that is expensive as well... we get a group of guys together to ship powder and primer orders though.

And since there are already Norma shooters on island it just is easier... I am also thinking about having a .338 barrel spun up as well.

Also brass may be more money, but guys seem to be getting better life out of it then Hornday 300PRC brass.... at least what I have read in the threads.

This can be debuted to the end of time though.

Don't sweat it. I recently went through this decisions and I think you made the right one. Shooting ELR is a game of ES/SD. Hornady brass has no place in this game. Especially with Lapua releasing 300NM brass... 300PRC doesnt have the same ass the norma does either for the new 250 A-tip

Im big on Nightforce products and love the 5-25 ATACR, their scopes are bullet proof which living remote might be a feature you appreciate. Im not interested in the 7-35 less your shooting 2 miles. 25X is more than enough for a mile.

Im a huge fan of 300WM, we are pushing 225 pills at 2886fps, which gets it there. But if you have buddies shooting Norma, what the heck, go for it.

PB

Another vote for the NF ATACR 7-35.
I have about one of each of the NF scopes, including 5-25 and 7-35 ATACR’s. I find them to be fantastic scopes. Converted over from S&B to NF.
They are outstanding in every metric, to me. I think the 7-35 makes all the sense in the world on a .300 NM.
You know the old saying: “better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.”
I feel that way about the 7-35. You’re only giving up 2x on the bottom, for a huge gain up top. The “up top” is where that .300 NM will use it.
Makes perfect sense.

Reactions: plong
Another vote for the NF ATACR 7-35.
I have about one of each of the NF scopes, including 5-25 and 7-35 ATACR’s. I find them to be fantastic scopes. Converted over from S&B to NF.
They are outstanding in every metric, to me. I think the 7-35 makes all the sense in the world on a .300 NM.
You know the old saying: “better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.”
I feel that way about the 7-35. You’re only giving up 2x on the bottom, for a huge gain up top. The “up top” is where that .300 NM will use it.
Makes perfect sense.

Difference between 7x and 5x is exactly the same as the difference between 35x and 25x. Magnification is multiplicative.

Optically, 7-35x ATACR send to be a little better than the 5+35x though.

ILya

Reactions: bjay
Lots of great options available.

My .300NM has a Khales k624 with AMR reticle. I love it, especially the AMR reticle. I think the AMR reticle is about perfect for ELR shooting.

Reactions: kujuak