• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Norma Mag, 230 SMK, H1000, Peterson Brass

Yerman

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
My rifle should be done in a couple weeks and I’m getting ready to load some ammo to break in the barrel and start looking at velocities. I’m have trouble finding load data for my particular combination so I’m putting this out there in hopes you guys have some charge weights and velocities for me. Thanks and let me know what you have.

300 Norma Magnum
28” Bartlein in 1:8 twist
230gr Sierra Matchking
Hodgdon H1000
Peterson Brass
CCI 250 Primers

I thought about getting RL33 but I have been reading that it’s not very temp stable, really dirty, and has high SD and ES. Have you experienced that?

Yerman,

JUST bought a 300NM. Looking through SH to find the latest greatest pet loads for the 300NM. Making an order for reloading components...

What did you decide to load?

Lots of loads listed in the pinned thread on the 300NM but I understand some new bullets have come out since then and would like to hear what people like and why instead of just possible loads to try.

Thanks,
Steve

Yerman,

JUST bought a 300NM. Looking through SH to find the latest greatest pet loads for the 300NM. Making an order for reloading components...

What did you decide to load?

Lots of loads listed in the pinned thread on the 300NM but I understand some new bullets have come out since then and would like to hear what people like and why instead of just possible loads to try.

Thanks,
Steve

Sorry for the delay. I never saw your response.

I’ve already got all the components I listed above so I’m just going to run with it. I found the following data so I’ll probably use this (even though it’s a different bullet it’s at least the same weight), work myself up slowly to find max charge, then work up to that charge in small increments to find the OCW.

Have you done any loads yet? I’m really excited about the 230 SMK.
E2D262D7-D0C3-42E4-B138-834BD176BA11.jpeg

With my 28” running 230 smk Norma brass and H1000 I started at 81 and it was too hot to continue at 82.0 so I would be careful there. I think that load sheet you posted is known to be very hot if it’s the same one in the reloading depot. I switched to retumbo getting better velocity and accuracy.

Sorry for the delay. I never saw your response.

I’ve already got all the components I listed above so I’m just going to run with it. I found the following data so I’ll probably use this (even though it’s a different bullet it’s at least the same weight), work myself up slowly to find max charge, then work up to that charge in small increments to find the OCW.

Have you done any loads yet? I’m really excited about the 230 SMK.View attachment 6998056

I looked at many responses and found many people shooting this Bullet and the 225gr Hornady with 92.6gr. I started with it tried up and down a couple tenths and had good luck. When my bbl broke in the pressures got too high and I am going to try 88grs today.

What rifle where you using in 300 Norma?

Thanks,
Steve

I looked at many responses and found many people shooting this Bullet and the 225gr Hornady with 92.6gr. I started with it tried up and down a couple tenths and had good luck. When my bbl broke in the pressures got too high and I am going to try 88grs today.

What rifle where you using in 300 Norma?

Thanks,
Steve
Is that with H1000? If so, that is completely different than what @Gilly what experiencing. Now I’m even more confused.

I’m running a custom build. Gets here in a couple days.

988B6816-3771-42D4-B539-673F2BF4622A.jpeg

Is that with H1000? If so, that is completely different than what @Gilly what experiencing. Now I’m even more confused.

I’m running a custom build. Gets here in a couple days.

View attachment 6998132

I would imagine 92.6 would be Rl33 or N570 as you’d be way over pressure with H1000. I’ve seen H1000 loads to 84 or so and similar velocity to my 82 so I do believe there is some lot to lot variability there. 83.7 retumbo is my current load and just seeing early pressure signs on warmer days.

Just returned home from a long day at the range.

Sorry, I thought I had mentioned earlier that I was using RL33.

I am around 88grs of RL33 now and loading down looking for my node.

Have a bunch of data from the LabRadar and targets to view this evening.

Hello Marzo,

I just tried out those loads and then loaded 50 that showed the most promise. Shot last Saturday and was VERY happy with the load, sorry the exact load and jump is on the reloading bench. I made two consecutive hits on a 30X18" steel at 1500 yards. this is my personal best. Unfortunately I didn't have any ammo left when I got to the 1500 yard target, so I was done.....

Look forward to hearing how it works for you.

Steve

Reactions: marzo2
Marzo,

I have found a round that works for me in my AXMC. The Garmin 701 with AB tracks it perfectly out to 1500 yards so far. My SD is in single digits.
Using 87.8grs RL33, Hornady 225gr match, Federal mag match primer, Peterson brass. Running around 2890 FPS.

Now if I could find the load for my AI 260 I would be happy... OK happier.

Loving the 300NM.

Steve

Great!

Me too found a load with the eldm 225
85.6gr h1000
Bullets seated -0.01 off the land

Could not get the smk 230 to work... will retest those (maybe) during spring

Reactions: Stevo3556
28” 9 twist
Norma brass
83.7 retumbo
230 smk .015 jump
2970 FPS

Second load
Peterson brass
84.0 H1000
215 hybrid .010 jam
3070 FPS

• Love
Reactions: bjay
28” 9 twist
Norma brass
83.7 retumbo
230 smk .015 jump
2970 FPS

Second load
Peterson brass
84.0 H1000
215 hybrid .010 jam
3070 FPS

For a little more information the 215 is .1 mil flatter trajectory to 1580 yards than the 230 load both with confirmed dope

Anyone here have an estimated G7 BC (or G1) for the 230 Sierra? Does it match up to the .8 BC as given?