• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Norma Mag

The minimum chamber length on the CIP 300 Norma drawing is 2.502"
The maximum case length is 2.492"
The recommended case trim to length is generally 0.010" under the maximum case length. That would be 2.482"
There isn't a SAAMI specification for the 300 Norma.

I'm having the same trouble with the Peterson brass others have reported. It is .006" to 0.014" shorter than my Manson 300 Norma Go Gauge. Norma was .004"-.006" shorter, which is pretty typical for new brass.
I will never use Peterson brass for my 300norma mag again.

I'm pretty much there too. I'm going to expand the necks to 338 and set up a false shoulder. I might as well be shooting a wildcat.

I haven't done a pressure ladder yet to see if its good for any velocity over the Norma brass, but it'd have to be a bunch to be worth it. I'm not confident, metallurgy seems a lot more complicated than dimensions and Peterson seems to have a lot of trouble with dimensions.

Any one have loads for 200 grain X Lr, accubonds, and or swift a frames? Thinking of taking it on a grizzly, moose, sheep hunt in the fall and want to run a tougher bullet

The minimum chamber length on the CIP 300 Norma drawing is 2.502"
The maximum case length is 2.492"
The recommended case trim to length is generally 0.010" under the maximum case length. That would be 2.482"
There isn't a SAAMI specification for the 300 Norma.

I'm having the same trouble with the Peterson brass others have reported. It is .006" to 0.014" shorter than my Manson 300 Norma Go Gauge. Norma was .004"-.006" shorter, which is pretty typical for new brass.
My recent Peterson brass headspace was 0.014” short of “go” as well. Had to jam and fireform to chamber. Fired brass was “go” plus 0.001” so it doesn’t seem to be a reamer issue with my setup.

Does anyone know of a CIP length 300 Norma mag/338 lapua magazine that is made of a polymer or aluminum? I am not digging the half pound steel mags.

Im after some help. Ive been through most of the pages here and found a bit of info.
Im getting a 300nm barrel for my AXMC in the next few weeks and im looking to be reloading 230gr bergers and 200gr cutting edge bullets. Lapua brass. One issue ive got is im an the UK so cant get H1000. Ive seen N570 mentioned what other powders are worth looking at and what loads to start and a rough max load just to give me a rough idea where to start.
Hope someone can give me a bit of info

Im after some help. Ive been through most of the pages here and found a bit of info.
Im getting a 300nm barrel for my AXMC in the next few weeks and im looking to be reloading 230gr bergers and 200gr cutting edge bullets. Lapua brass. One issue ive got is im an the UK so cant get H1000. Ive seen N570 mentioned what other powders are worth looking at and what loads to start and a rough max load just to give me a rough idea where to start.
Hope someone can give me a bit of info
Take a look at the Lapua/VV powder website. They have the exact data you’re looking for.

Can someone recommend some brass then? Just purchased a 300 barrel for my AXMC and was looking for Peterson (which I will now avoid) or Lapua but the only brass I can find is Hornady or Norma. I’ve read that these two have a short life spans so now I’m leery on almost all of it.

Can someone recommend some brass then? Just purchased a 300 barrel for my AXMC and was looking for Peterson (which I will now avoid) or Lapua but the only brass I can find is Hornady or Norma. I’ve read that these two have a short life spans so now I’m leery on almost all of it.
I am on my 8th firing so far with norma brass. It is not near as bad as everyone thinks. Heck it works allot better for me over the peterson. I continue to use the norma in my first barrel. I have also added a second barrel and I have been using lapua brass with it. It's top notch as always.

Also you never know. The peterson may work great for you. It just didn't for me. I pierced so many primers with it that it ruined my firing pin and i had to purchase a new one. I tried different loads. I tried not sizing the case back, and still had pierced primers. I have never had one pierced primer with norma or lapua yet. And I have used the norma many more rounds than I have the peterson.

Reactions: dinnerbucket
Also you never know. The peterson may work great for you. It just didn't for me. I pierced so many primers with it that it ruined my firing pin and i had to purchase a new one. I tried different loads. I tried not sizing the case back, and still had pierced primers. I have never had one pierced primer with norma or lapua yet. And I have used the norma many more rounds than I have the peterson.

Thanks for the info!

Reactions: jaybigboy34
Hi - I'm new to this forum (1st post), but have been actively reading it for awhile as I experimented with my loads for my new 300 Norma rifle (30" barrel / 1:10 twist). Here are the 2 best loads I have so far:

225gr Hornady ELD Match
86gr Norma 217
30” barrel
Fed 215M
Hornady brass
COAL 3.600”
3,017 fps
0.33 MOA group

230gr Berger Hybrid
86gr Norma 217
30” barrel
Fed 215M
Hornady brass
COAL 3.535”
3,004 fps
0.38 MOA group

I did a step latter from 84gr to 87gr for both the Hornady 225gr and Berger 230gr and it varied anywhere from .33" MOA to 1" MOA. I did a smaller COAL (3.535") to equal the size of the Hornady ELD Match ammo, before measuring for the max COAL on my rifle (3.600") and for some reason, I shot much tighter groups with the Berger 230gr with the shorter bullets. Any idea why?

I've also been tinkering with the 225gr ELDM, but I'm in the same boat.

I use 92.6grs of RE33, which seems to be the accuracy node for both bullets. Both loads are under 5 standard deviation. But the Berger shoots much tighter groups. No idea why.

Does anyone know what type of powder Hornady uses in their 300 Norma ELD M rounds off the shelf? These shoot pretty well for me, but are way shorter in length (3.585") than my optimal COAL of 3.600". Thus, I'd like to experiment with a similar recipe by longer COAL. I pulled apart one of their rounds and measured the weight of the powder and its way lower than what I'm using with Norma 217 and getting similar muzzle velocities, so I assume it is a different brand. I also have RL-33, but to be honest, all 3 powders look identical to me, so I have no way of knowing what powder they are using?

Anyone know?

I've also been tinkering with the 225gr ELDM, but I'm in the same boat.

I use 92.6grs of RE33, which seems to be the accuracy node for both bullets. Both loads are under 5 standard deviation. But the Berger shoots much tighter groups. No idea why.

BD,

What rifle are you using? Do you know about what MV you are achieving? Any signs of high pressure? How many rounds down the bbl?

I really liked that load and had outstanding accuracy and flat shooting. When I saw the high pressure and talked to AI I reduced the load and found another node at 87.8 I believe. Still good accuracy and great SDs, but a least 200 FPS slower.

Still love the cartridge.

I have some Bergers, might try some for fun. I thought I would try the Hornadys first because of the difference in price, $30 a box instead for $51 a box. If I found a load that worked then stick with it. Will try some next time out.

MC,

Sorry I have no idea what powder they use. I do know at 1,000 yards the point of impact was much lower than when I was using the 92.6grs of RE33.

Steve

Reactions: Patrick61
Think I’m done load development for now

Lapua brass
H1000 (85.6gr)
Fed magnum primer
Hornady eld march 225

3020 fps ave (10 shots)
ES: 8
SD : 4

26 inch barrel, 1-8 twist
that's awesome! Can you go through your brass prep real quickly? Thank you

that's awesome! Can you go through your brass prep real quickly? Thank you

Here it is, not in order:
Skim neck-turned my brass

Always FL (Forster non bushing die), expander ball remover. I use a Sinclair expander die to up-size the neck

Anneal brass after each firering (amp)

Trim with Forster 3 way Cutter

Charge are dropped from my Chargemaster, but 2gr short, so I can trickle to my charge (leaving the pan on the Chargemaster).

Reactions: jaybigboy34
Here it is, not in order:
Skim neck-turned my brass

Always FL (Forster non bushing die), expander ball remover. I use a Sinclair expander die to up-size the neck

Anneal brass after each firering (amp)

Trim with Forster 3 way Cutter

Charge are dropped from my Chargemaster, but 2gr short, so I can trickle to my charge (leaving the pan on the Chargemaster).
Thank you! A couple of questions. What size sinclair expander die do you use? And what do you use to trickle the last 2gr with?

Aztec sw on mine said 181, and works well for me. Ymmv.
I have the original unit without the Aztec it only goes up to 126 program
thank you anyway
hopefully someone has one of the older ones and can let me know the setting

My Amp Annealer Mark II - Aztec mode was 0180 for Peterson brass... then after turning necks to .015" - code changed to 0171
I just ran my first case (fire formed, 35 degree improved) through my updated Annealer Mark II with Aztec mode to analyse a piece of Peterson brass neck turned to .014" for code 0164. it smoked the case. i was planning to use it for my modified case, but not anymore!

I have the original unit without the Aztec it only goes up to 126 program
thank you anyway
hopefully someone has one of the older ones and can let me know the setting

I’m using standard setting 120 with Norma brass . Since I dropped back to a mid 80 grain node of
H1000 with 230s , brass life has been greatly extended with use of the AMP . Some cases are on
the 10 th firing and still holding primers ok .

I’m using standard setting 120 with Norma brass . Since I dropped back to a mid 80 grain node of
H1000 with 230s , brass life has been greatly extended with use of the AMP . Some cases are on
the 10 th firing and still holding primers ok .
Thank you

I just ran my first case (fire formed, 35 degree improved) through my updated Annealer Mark II with Aztec mode to analyse a piece of Peterson brass neck turned to .014" for code 0164. it smoked the case. i was planning to use it for my modified case, but not anymore!
Aztec mode destroys the case as you found out

Attachments

• 672AB9C1-BFF5-4550-81EA-8ACF1DFBB01D.jpeg
    672AB9C1-BFF5-4550-81EA-8ACF1DFBB01D.jpeg
    212.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 3475F365-F107-4365-8E13-EF8EDC042980.jpeg
    3475F365-F107-4365-8E13-EF8EDC042980.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 149
Can someone with 300NM Lapua brass please provide an outside diameter with seated bullet on a case that has not been turned? Thanks.

I'm about to start load development with my 26" 8 twist 300 NM that I just put together.
I found 3 lbs of N565 and would like to give it a try with 225 ELDM's, anyone tried that combo yet?
I'm throated for 3.6 oal with those bullets.

I'm about to start load development with my 26" 8 twist 300 NM that I just put together.
I found 3 lbs of N565 and would like to give it a try with 225 ELDM's, anyone tried that combo yet?
I'm throated for 3.6 oal with those bullets.
I am having nice results with Bergers 200.20x and N570 in Peterson brass, Keystone acc custom built, Curtis Axiom and Krieger 5R 26" 1/10 Heavy varmint profile. With 84.5gr and 2.800 CBTO I got:
- 3010 fps single digit ES
- one ragged hole all day at 100m
- still a mild load very gentle with brass, same recoil as a 308w with a good brake ( a419 sidewinder, Heathen or a Muscle Brake)
I can shoot it all day long, and very clean. If you use more power VV gets really dirty.
- piece of cake on a 20"x20" plate at 1000m, with less than 8 mil on the elevation
N565 should be very similar only smaller kernel size (N570 is really a big seed, 0.1 grain per kernel on my FX120)
My buddies are shooting N570 88gr under 215 or 230 bergers with great success. Work up your load as YMMV.
With a 8 twist I would look at solids also you might become really hard on ELDM jacket. Maybe not for you if you are hunting

Last edited:
Lapua is the best in any caliber hands down. Some guy on FB 338 forum starting running his mouth about Lapua is garbage in the 338 Lapua i had to step away......

Reactions: wildcats
Lapua is the best in any caliber hands down. Some guy on FB 338 forum starting running his mouth about Lapua is garbage in the 338 Lapua i had to step away......

Lapua has been my go to brass for all my calibers.even for my 300wm when it was available many moons ago.

Reactions: BCX