• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Norma Mag

Does anybody here load on a Dillon 550? What seater die are you using?

I've been really enjoying the RCBS matchmaster seater in other calibers. It allows for top loading bullets and makes bullet seating very easy.

In my 6 GT it hangs down .750" +/- from the bottom of the tool head. There's only 4.125" avaliable to begin with.

I really want to make this combo work for the 300 Norma, any ideas or experience would be appreciated!

My Bartlein 1:9 HV 31" barrel blank showed up. Still haven't landed on the reamer I'd like to use. Getting antsy to start this build!

Reactions: Schw15
Got the Bat igniter ordered lapua bolt face. Same action as HR action they said but more generic. Going to have it nitrided. Very good price on those. Build is coming a long. Gotta drop barrels off at smith and decide straight 300 norma or his 300 norma improved 40 degree.

Reactions: Balor
Thanks, that’s reloader 50 from alliant was looking to see if there was difference with Hodgon h50bmg. @Kopfjager1 thanks for the max. That’s too slow. 😞
I just did load development with H50bmg I’m my 300 norma Improved. I started at 88 grains and got 2750 FPS went all the way to 96 grains at 3150 fps and still no pressure signs but it’s going to take a drop tube to get any more in the case. This is by far the best powder I’ve tried out of Retumbo, US869, H1000. I know N570 is the best but it’s fairy dust to find.

I just did load development with H50bmg I’m my 300 norma Improved. I started at 88 grains and got 2750 FPS went all the way to 96 grains at 3150 fps and still no pressure signs but it’s going to take a drop tube to get any more in the case. This is by far the best powder I’ve tried out of Retumbo, US869, H1000. I know N570 is the best but it’s fairy dust to find.
Reloder50 works too, I ran 230s up to 3050 in my 26" barrel, gets a lil crunchy tho, I tested rl33 too and it'll work but I don't remember the numbers. My barrel been shot out for 2 years, getting the new one cut now, it'll be a 23" 9tw rem varm for hunting.

Reloder50 works too, I ran 230s up to 3050 in my 26" barrel, gets a lil crunchy tho, I tested rl33 too and it'll work but I don't remember the numbers. My barrel been shot out for 2 years, getting the new one cut now, it'll be a 23" 9tw rem varm for hunting.
I've been using 91.5 with RL33 and I'm getting 3050 out of a 27"

It’s probably the best powder for performance with this cartridge, so I guess the case fill is…great? Sure, they’re big kernels, but they fit.
They big, but dense. They weigh like 0.08gr per kernel. I rememeber using a razor blade to cut them in half to get my exact desired charge weight poured by the auto trickler lol.

N568 is almost N570, but without the huge kernels. N170 has a similar burn rate, but doesn’t generate as much heat/pressure for a bit less velocity - also without huge kernels.

Reactions: wildcats
Not too good to be true - it's a great ELR bullet. Just be aware that you might need the barrel throated to handle them as they're pretty long and fat (unlike heavy solids).

Reactions: wildcats
Not too good to be true - it's a great ELR bullet. Just be aware that you might need the barrel throated to handle them as they're pretty long and fat (unlike heavy solids).
What freebore? I think one reamer is .235.

N568 is almost N570, but without the huge kernels. N170 has a similar burn rate, but doesn’t generate as much heat/pressure for a bit less velocity - also without huge kernels.

Have you tried N568? I get great results with N570 in mine but it would be nice to get similar performance and be able to run the powder through my auto-thrower and not have to use Lee scoops and the auto-trickler to finish up, haha. Those kernels are like tree trunks...

I couldn’t get enough H50 in the case to get to my desired velocity with 245’s. Was up to 96 grains and she was getting pretty full. Found some N570 and it shoots great.

Reactions: Jaybird 220
Just received my new 300 norma brass. The necks come .3465 I'm guess going to have to run a .338 bushing. But waiting on shell holders and I will run them threw mandrel and load a dummy to see. They seem very tight necked. Got barrels dropped off and action is at smith's so within the next 3 weeks it should be done

loaded 2 up to see what they would measure. Virgin brass .336 .3365 and loaded was .3385 to .339 I'm going to start with a .336 bushing first.

Midway has good prices on lapua 300 Norma brass. I'm posting it here so I won't be tempted much longer haha.

On another note, manson reamer at .2148" freebore should work just fine with the Berger 245gr LRTH. Both brass and bullets seem to be popping up lately.

Here's about what they'll be seated at to get .040" off the lands +/-. I think the .215" reamer is about perfect. Just good to get a visual idea. IMO not worth ordering a custom reamer.
20230906_170710.jpg

Midway has good prices on lapua 300 Norma brass. I'm posting it here so I won't be tempted much longer haha.

On another note, manson reamer at .2148" freebore should work just fine with the Berger 245gr LRTH. Both brass and bullets seem to be popping up lately.

Here's about what they'll be seated at to get .040" off the lands +/-. I think the .215" reamer is about perfect. Just good to get a visual idea. IMO not worth ordering a custom reamer. View attachment 8223359

Yeah I've seen the 245 lrht popping up, I grabbed 200 to give them a try.

Reactions: Jackomason
AXSR 300 norma
8 twist factory barrel
Edit: these speeds are on a new barrel- 100 rounds fired.
New lapua brass
Federal 215 primers
Velocity gathered with magnetospeed
Outside temp 87-90f
The lower charge weights did not group well, some as big as 1.3 moa. Once I started to increase charge weights the average group size was .6-.7 moa at 100yds.

220 LRHT
85gr H1000
3053fps
.478 moa @ 100yds

same rifle
220 LRHT
N570
3147fps
.631 moa @ 100yds

Still adjusting powder charge and seating depth.

What are other owners of AXSR w/ factory barrels seeing for accuracy and speeds?

Last edited:
I've been threw here but is there 300 norma improved load data on this one? I didn't see any threads for improved reloading data

I've been threw here but is there 300 norma improved load data on this one? I didn't see any threads for improved reloading data
There is a thread on accurateshooter.com by Alex Wheeler

AXSR 300 norma
8 twist factory barrel
Edit: these speeds are on a new barrel- 100 rounds fired.
New lapua brass
Federal 215 primers
Velocity gathered with magnetospeed
Outside temp 87-90f
The lower charge weights did not group well, some as big as 1.3 moa. Once I started to increase charge weights the average group size was .6-.7 moa at 100yds.

220 LRHT
85gr H1000
3053fps
.478 moa @ 100yds

same rifle
220 LRHT
N570
3147fps
.631 moa @ 100yds

Still adjusting powder charge and seating depth.

What are other owners of AXSR w/ factory barrels seeing for accuracy and speeds?
I need to get off my FA and load up for my barrel. Probably start with EOL.245/N570 or Hyb.215/H1K. I‘m just scared I’ll like it too much and might need to buy a backup barrel for it asap….

• Haha
I've got a line on a bunch of N570, any reason to choose N565 or N568 instead?
I also have very extensive access to all these and I currently shoot N565 because I achieve the velocities I want for hunting and according to some applied ballistics testing N570 burned out barrels much faster than N565. That being said, when I shoot the NF ELR next year I'll use N570 because I want ever fps I can get.

In some of the above posts its said that there is a "tiny" loss in FPS moving to N568. If it's like 25-50fps with easier metering, cooler burning and long barrel life, then I'm not sure why everyone isn't talking about it.

I'm planning on grabbing 16lbs so I'm just putting feelers out incase I'm missing something. Will probably end up with N570.

In some of the above posts its said that there is a "tiny" loss in FPS moving to N568. If it's like 25-50fps with easier metering, cooler burning and long barrel life, then I'm not sure why everyone isn't talking about it.

I'm planning on grabbing 16lbs so I'm just putting feelers out incase I'm missing something. Will probably end up with N570.

I have heard the same with 568, I'm not sure why it's not more popular. I haven't experimented with it yet because I got the results I wanted with 565 for hunting, and I wanted maximum performance for matches. I lose about 100-150fps using N565 over N570 I will say, I have a matchmaster and N570 is awful through it, it gets stuck in the small tube all the time and will just spin the trickle tube forever until I stick a small dowel up the tube and break the kernels free.

with easier metering, cooler burning and long barrel life, then I'm not sure why everyone isn't talking about it.

Easier metering yes, but not cooler burning from what I can tell. If you want to save the throat from too much heat, try N165 or N170.

Easier metering yes, but not cooler burning from what I can tell. If you want to save the throat from too much heat, try N165 or N170.

Would it be safe to equate N568 to a "short cut" version of N570?

Getting into 300NM with the thought that preformance is primary with barrel life being a nice after thought.

Yes, from my testing it's a little closer to N570 than N565 and without the huge granules. It also seems to be even less temp sensitive than N570.

Between n565 and n568 in 30 nosler I gained 50 to 75 feet more with n568 but with 4 more grains. On the charts n568 is suppose to be cooler burning compared to n565 and n570

Reactions: PowPowHawg
Just to add: N565, N568 & N570 are almost perfect powders for .300NM. N565 is really good for bullets in the 190-230gr range, and N568 & N570 are good for 200-250, easy.

If the 1/100s digit being off bothers your OCD, go for the n568. Freaking N570 granules are huge at .08. 🤣

N570 does meter fine out of my autotrickler.

So Im pretty sure Ive finalized my loads for the 300 NM with 250 A-Tips and Reloder 50. However, the group size is only .77 MOA which I felt rushed and was fighting mirage from my can. Maybe I can tighten it up without adjusting the seating depth, but in comparison, the Berger 230 factory ammo was 0.8x MOA and was 2886 fps, SD 20.2 and ES 85 (25 rounds), and was still able to produce a 1.23 MOA 5-round group at 1730 yards, which those 5 rounds had an ES of 18.

AXSR 27" factory barrel (1:8) with TBAC 338 Ultra SR

Lapua 300NM brass
CCI 250 OEM primers (only primers I could find in the last year)
250 A-Tip BTO: 2.845" (0.02" off lands, and 0.102" off mag COAL)
91.0 gr RL50
2895 fps
SD: 3.52
ES: 8
(only 5 rounds fired of Magnetospeed)

Just to add: N565, N568 & N570 are almost perfect powders for .300NM. N565 is really good for bullets in the 190-230gr range, and N568 & N570 are good for 200-250, easy.

Any good starting loads for N568 and Berger Hybrid 215grs?

They have loads for 230, but I'm not sure if I should back it down or increase to start.