• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC or 338 Lapua?

coyotewillie

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2005
NE
Here's my background....65, retired, hobby shooter. Shooting among others, a Savage .308 and an RPR 6.5CM. I own a pasture that I can shoot out to 625 and 800. I never considered shooting, let alone owning a 338 because of the recoil. I'm getting pretty recoil sensitive the older I get. A buddy bought an RPR in 338 so we went out to sight it in and see what it would do. I wasn't even going to shoot it but recoil didn't look bad at all. Wow! I don't think it kicked as bad as my CM. I shot just under a 2" group with the first time, and fell in love with it. So I decided that maybe I'd get one this summer. Now they've come out with the 300 PRC and I'm having a hard time deciding which one to get. I had thought that since the 338 was so manageable in the RPR that I'd go with it as a last hurrah. Quite honestly I had no intentions of getting any more rifles ( own more than the 308/6.5CM). But with the PRC, factory ammo is half the price, although I reload everything, so that will bring down the difference in cost. Then maybe more bullets to select from with the PRC. Then I've waited, so far, for 10 months for my .30 "damned expensive set of earplugs" (suppressor) and that will fit on the PRC. So now I can't make up my mind. Any thoughts? Thanks. Greg

Sorry everyone....put this in the wrong forum, should have been in the Rifle section. Should edit my background to old and stupid!

Last edited:
im all for buying every rifle i can lol

but if your only going to 625 and 800 (unless i missed more distance) and you currently own 308 and creedmore...

dont waste your hard earned money

338's are for 1500+ its almost a waste to shoot under 1000, unless you need the horsepower when it gets there

if you want it buy it, once in a while its fun to feel recoil

but for under 1000 they are both overkill for paper punching

I think you put this in the wrong subforum - you posted it on the scope forum, not rifles.

What distances do you have access to? IMO, neither one is worth the squeeze if you don't have access to 1500+ yards. If you do, I'd go 300PRC - lower recoil, lower cost, and hopefully longer barrel life.

Reactions: Alabusa
You can totally shoot 338 under 1k without it being a complete waste of time. Now if you said your range only goes to 200, that’s indeed a waste of time. I shoot my 338 at 600 with no regrets. It’s a good accurate round and it teaches good trigger discipline; at least for me it does.

You can totally shoot 338 under 1k without it being a complete waste of time. Now if you said your range only goes to 200, that’s indeed a waste of time. I shoot my 338 at 600 with no regrets. It’s a good accurate round and it teaches good trigger discipline; at least for me it does.

Except 338 has literally *zero* benefits for OP at the distances he currently shoots, unless he decides he needs energy on target. Meanwhile, he has a rifle with much shorter barrel life, higher cost per round, and greater recoil than the 2 rifles he already has.

I think you put this in the wrong subforum - you posted it on the scope forum, not rifles.

What distances do you have access to? IMO, neither one is worth the squeeze if you don't have access to 1500+ yards. If you do, I'd go 300PRC - lower recoil, lower cost, and hopefully longer barrel life.
Yeah, I definitely put in the wrong forum! Absolutely meant to put it in the Rifle Forum. Background.... old and stupid! Anyway, moderators can move it if they want.

Basically I wanted the 338 "just because". Just wanted a big caliber before I get too old to enjoy it. Wasn't going to get one though because of the recoil. But the RPR is heavy enough is doesn't seem to recoil as much as the CM. Since I have/like the RPR I would go with another one. Recoil won't be an issue with either one. I can stretch out my yardage to 1200.

Do you have brakes on your rifles? Something like the JP recoil Eliminator might be beneficial to you also

Yeah, I definitely put in the wrong forum! Absolutely meant to put it in the Rifle Forum. Background.... old and stupid! Anyway, moderators can move it if they want.

Basically I wanted the 338 "just because". Just wanted a big caliber before I get too old to enjoy it. Wasn't going to get one though because of the recoil. But the RPR is heavy enough is doesn't seem to recoil as much as the CM. Since I have/like the RPR I would go with another one. Recoil won't be an issue with either one. I can stretch out my yardage to 1200.

If you want it just because, then I'd say go with the PRC for better (hopefully) barrel life and factory ammo costs. Stick an Area 419 Sidewinder on it and recoil won't really be an issue, but I wouldn't want to be shooting next to you.

Since you are mostly shooting for fun and mostly out to 1200 yards max it seems and just want one of the big boomers, I'd suggest all things being equal, go with the .300 PRC.

A bit cheaper to feed, less recoil, great ballistics and you'll probably be able to sell it a lot easier if you move on than the .338LM version.

That being said, if you want something that could stick around with you longer as you age, it wouldn't hurt to look at the 6.5 PRC Put that in a heavy rifle setup to load the long heavy solids and you'll have something that gives you a great intersection of longer range ballistics but still pretty soft on the recoil.

By all means, get the 338lm. We only live once and need to make the most of it. As for brakes, I highly recommend the Terminator line. They are a bit more spendy than a lot out there but the first time you shoot with it, you will know why.

Best wishes on getting what you want no matter what anyone says. Good luck to you, Sir.

Reactions: TRH1962
I've got the RPR in .338 and I'm loving it. Just because is a good enough reason. The brake that comes with it certainly tames the beast. It's definitely milder on the shoulder than my unbraked .30-06. Just get one and don't look back, especially if you can extend your range to 1,200. That's just shy of 3/4 of a mile.

Reactions: Steel+Killer
I appreciate every ones advice. I probably should pass on another rifle. I shot 6o rds through the CM and 20 through the 308 yesterday. The way the groups looked and considering I can't read which forum I'm in it's obvious I'm going blind! But hell, it's still fun!!

I appreciate every ones advice. I probably should pass on another rifle. I shot 6o rds through the CM and 20 through the 308 yesterday. The way the groups looked and considering I can't read which forum I'm in it's obvious I'm going blind! But hell, it's still fun!!
I see you are in NE, so if you get that PRC you can come here and shoot with me, i'm in the sandhills plenty of room here

300PRC or the 6.5 PRC would fill any need you have. Excellent ballistics and both have great energy on contact.

Last edited:
338LM is a great performing caliber but to be fair 300PRC is like 95% of it's performance at 50% of the cost. Actually Hornady claims 300PRC will outperform 338LM when loaded with their new 30cal 250gr A-Tips.

It's unimpressive for a caliber to ONLY offer great performance what's impressive is when a caliber can offer next level performance at a great pricepoint and that's exactly what it takes for a caliber to be successful long term. 300PRC offers both because of which it seems poised to become the 6.5cm of magnums and probably will largely diminish 338LM's market share.

Reactions: themightytimmah
If you reload, go with the 338. Better brass, easy tuning, die selection, etc. If you shoot factory ammo, it’s hard to beat the $1.75 300PRC stuff.

Neither. 300 Norma. More energy and less wind drift than the PRC. Better brass. Uses the same bullets as the 300 PRC just pushes them significantly faster. Gives you better ballistics than the 338LM with less recoil.

Reactions: BCX and jmw
Neither. 300 Norma. More energy and less wind drift than the PRC. Better brass. Uses the same bullets as the 300 PRC just pushes them significantly faster. Gives you better ballistics than the 338LM with less recoil.

The OP is look at the magnum RPRs, which aren't offered in 300 Norma.

Ahh gotcha thought he was just saying he shot a 338 RPR and wanted to buy a 338LM or 300PRC rifle. Understood. In that case still neither haha. I'd vote to put your money toward a build. With a chambering that can reach that far, accuracy becomes increasingly important. I think you'd be off with a better barrel blank. Perhaps you could get an RPR and replace the barrel with a quality blank in 300 Norma or similar.

Ahh gotcha thought he was just saying he shot a 338 RPR and wanted to buy a 338LM or 300PRC rifle. Understood. In that case still neither haha. I'd vote to put your money toward a build. With a chambering that can reach that far, accuracy becomes increasingly important. I think you'd be off with a better barrel blank. Perhaps you could get an RPR and replace the barrel with a quality blank in 300 Norma or similar.

OP also said he's only shooting out to 1200 yards, and is only looking at a big magnum just because. Considering he would gain nothing from a 300 Norma over a 300PRC, I can't see it being worth the cost and headaches of building a Norma for him.

considering he's only shooting to 1200 yards at targets both are not worth the cost haha. However he did say he has a 30 cal can and clearly like the 338LM for its size, power and ballistics. The 300 Norma gives him the size and power and allows him to use the can depending on barrel length. He reloads so the Norma has a significant advantage. Hornady brass sucks. Lapua does not.

Reactions: BCX
300 PRC is new improved round and it will do what you want and some more Old man.
300 PRC is cheeper to shoot also, very accurate round. Hornady just released bullet 230GR and 250GR A-TIP. something to consider if you go with 300 PRC.
I have reached 2200 yards with 300 PRC no problem so your 1200 yards will be walk in park with 300 PRC.

Well now, methinks there are many here who think you have no cause to buy the LM but they couldn't tell someone what guns are in the back row of their jumbo safe. If the predicate for buying a 6mm is to shoot PRS, you probably have no justification unless a precision rifle is part of your job description. If that is the case, then you should be shooting your duty rifle or a duplicate of same. There is really minimal difference between "I shoot PRS just because I want to" and "I shoot a .338LM just because I want to."

When I bought my .338LM I was a year or three older than you are. My motivation was simply to learn. I made what I considered a good buy and figured that if I wasn't enamored, I'd sell it. I got it sighted in and about the third shot on target I knew it wasn't going anywhere. It was simply too much fun to shoot. I still have it. I still shoot it. I have no intention of selling it.

Here are a couple of other points. Mine has been extremely easy to load for. The first load I tried I knew was more accurate than I am. I have used this load exclusively with the exception of substituting a less expensive bullet. It is a reduced load but is absolutely adequate too beyond 1000yds. The last time I used a suppressor was a over a half century ago and it was free. I shoot the .338 with a brake. After ten to twenty rounds the concussion would get to me and when I quit I would have a mild headache. The answer is take a couple of aspirin a half hour before you shoot. Also, if you don't have an alpha scope buy one. The experience is worth the investment.

Have fun and if it ceases to entertain you sell it. You've worked hard. Enjoying yourself is not an indulgence.

What will likely happen is that 338 will sit in the safe most of the time collecting dust once the novelty wears off, especially at the distances mentioned.

It takes a very experienced shooter to shoot the difference between 338LM and 300PRC. I was using a 30-375R which is much like a 300PRC and won a ELR match shooting against mostly 338's. The recoil difference of a 230 grain 30 cal bullet and a 300 grain 338 bullet is significant. Maybe you guys were shooting 250 grain bullets in the 338 that day???

If money is no object then buy whatever, but that money might be more useful spent elsewhere in this case.

Reactions: themightytimmah
Here's the thing, I'm going to buy a RPR. Either in a 300PRC or a 338. You guys are so damn competitive! I shoot for pure fun period. I am not going to shoot any matches. Fun! Cheytac....good lord! I don't have the disposable income you guys have either. I just sold a rifle yesterday and have another listed to fund this one. I know as far as factory ammo the 300 PRC will be cheaper by half. But when I see that big honkin 338 beside that puny PRC I get a little stirring down below, and for me, "that ain't bad"! But deep down I know the PRC is probably the better deal. Just trying to make up my mind. Seems that the ones here that are listening to me are split about half and half. Jeez, can't you guys make up my mind??

I really enjoy shooting my buddy’s 338 but I’ll probably build a 7mm or 300 as I don’t currently have a money tree.

I really enjoy shooting my buddy’s 338 but I’ll probably build a 7mm or 300 as I don’t currently have a money tree.

I would check the prices of 300PRC again before you do that.

Here's factory Hornady 225gr ELD 300PRC ammo for $1.66/round
Factory Hornady 225gr ELD 300PRC ammo for $1.66/round

Compare that to the cheapest I can find 338LM or even 300 Norma.

Factory Hornady 225gr ELD 300 Norma for $3.76/round

Factory Hornady 285gr ELD 338 Lapua $3.30/round

It seems 300NM and 338LM performance are no longer prohibitively expensive

Here's the Factory Hornady 225gr ELD 300PRC load ran at 4500ft/altitude

And factory Hornady 285gr ELD 338 Lapua ran at the same altitude

Compare that to Hornady's new A-TIP 250gr loaded into 300PRC at velocities in accordance to Hornady's load data. Again same altitude.

Hornady's load data on the 250gr A-TIP for 300PRC

It would appear that Hornady's claims that 300PRC with the new 250gr A-TIP outperforms 338LM are true. The 300PRC has more supersonic range, it bucks the wind better, and has just a bit less drop than 338LM. Energy differences between the two are insignificant especially beyond 1000 yards.

With the 300PRC you have the option to maximize performance by handloading the 250gr A-TIP or shot the 225 ELD which offers very impressive performance at a low cost. Either way the cost will be up to 50% of that of 300NM and 338LM and ELR is a sport in which practice is critical. This is the first time we've ever seen any of the big Magnums with ELR performance like this at anything close to this price. Used to be you had to pay an absorbent price for 338LM or 300NM for this level of performance and no doubt many of those invested in aforementioned calibers enjoyed that the high costs made capabilities which they owned more exclusive and out of reach of others but that's no longer the case which sucks for them but it's awsome for me very exciting times indeed, thank you Hornady.

Last edited:

View attachment 7081020

View attachment 7081022

Compare that to Hornady's new A-TIP 250gr loaded into 300PRC at velocities in accordance to Hornady's load data. Again same altitude.

View attachment 7081023

View attachment 7081024

It would appear that Hornady's claims that 300PRC with the new 250gr A-TIP outperforms 338LM are true. The 300PRC has more supersonic range, it bucks the wind better, and has just a bit less drop than 338LM. Energy differences between the two are insignificant especially beyond 1000 yards.

With the 300PRC you have the option to maximize performance by handloading the 250gr A-TIP or shot the 225 ELD which offers very impressive performance at a low cost. Either way the cost will be up to 50% of that of 300NM and 338LM and ELR is a sport in which practice is critical. This is the first time we've ever seen any of the big Magnums with ELR performance like this at anything close to this price. Used to be you had to pay an absorbent price for 338LM or 300NM for this level of performance and no doubt many of those invested in aforementioned calibers enjoyed that the high costs made capabilities which owned they more exclusive and out of reach of others but that's no longer the case which sucks for them but it's awsome for me very exciting times indeed, thank you Hornady.

I reload and almost definitely wouldn’t shoot factory loads.

I’d have to check on brass cost and quality.

Bullets for 30 cal are noticeably cheaper.

I can actually get 338 norma brass stupidly cheap as a buddy has a buttload of it and he offered some to me for really cheap but if I needed more I’d possibly to source from norma and I’m not a big fan of them now.

Clearly your wanring something bigger because you just want something bigger... in that case you might as well go big or go home. On that note the 338 class cartridge is the biggest a rock chucker supreme can handle so that's a no brainer.

If there was a practical element to the question then I'd most likely be saying the 300 prc, I think that's the direction my elk rifle is headed. But just for showing friends and getting big smiles with the boom and some awesome energy down range then there's a clear winner.

Clearly your wanring something bigger because you just want something bigger... in that case you might as well go big or go home. On that note the 338 class cartridge is the biggest a rock chucker supreme can handle so that's a no brainer.

If there was a practical element to the question then I'd most likely be saying the 300 prc, I think that's the direction my elk rifle is headed. But just for showing friends and getting big smiles with the boom and some awesome energy down range then there's a clear winner.

THIS makes sense to me, given your stated objectives and intention. That is what I’d do. Unless you’re going to shoot a ton, I figure you’ll be happy putting holes in holes with the big dog at the yardages you are going to shoot, and there is an animal satisfaction shouldering a large magnum and sending it.

Do it and enjoy!

View attachment 7081020

View attachment 7081022

View attachment 7081023

View attachment 7081024

With the 300PRC you have the option to maximize performance by handloading the 250gr A-TIP or shot the 225 ELD which offers very impressive performance at a low cost. Either way the cost will be up to 50% of that of 300NM and 338LM and ELR is a sport in which practice is critical. This is the first time we've ever seen any of the big Magnums with ELR performance like this at anything close to this price. Used to be you had to pay an absorbent price for 338LM or 300NM for this level of performance and no doubt many of those invested in aforementioned calibers enjoyed that the high costs made capabilities which they owned more exclusive and out of reach of others but that's no longer the case which sucks for them but it's awsome for me very exciting times indeed, thank you Hornady.

But that COL! I'd been dreaming about this all night so first think I did this AM is grab my calipers and measure my internal box mag and I'm about .020" shy. That being said this may make it worth building that gun around and doing something different for a hunting rig. The 300 PRC could be the next big heavy hitter and a great intro for poor man's ELR.

I know this thread is ancient, but I thought I would weigh in since I am older like the OP, and the topic is important. I live in an area where there is no place to shoot beyond 200 yards unless I drive 2 hours (each way), and even then, out to only 550 yards on steel. Beyond that, I have to find BLM land, possibly in Nevada, a 4 hour drive (one way) from my San Francisco bay area. I am older than the OP, weaker than I used to be, with a tall but lightweight 157 lb. frame, not really suitable for hefty recoil. Having shot a borrowed 338, even ear plugs with muffs is not really enough. The thing rattles your skull and forget about shooting if you have plugged sinuses, especially if under a canopy. People next to me hate the thing due to the muzzle blast. While I reload, it will still cost me a good amount. I will need to buy a bigger gun case to house the near 50" long rifle (unless it folds). So, I have absolutely no good use for it, there are other rounds that would do as well for less money, especially in fun non-competition use, so why get one? 'Cuz I want one, period. Same reason I bought a sports car that goes over 170 mph, when the bay area traffic keeps me in the lower half of the six speeds most of the time. Same reason I bought high end reloading equipment that probably won't make one wit of measurable accuracy difference at my typical 100 yards. I like doing precision reloading. Same reason, we buy the biggest, baddest, high-end anything that is excessive in its capabilities vs our needs. And that is it in a nutshell. Just like we hate it when some anti-gun person asks us why we "need" an assault weapon, I also don't much like it when someone questions my "need" for a 338 Lapua Mag. I definitely don't need it...I just want it, and that is enough.

Hope you got the rifle OP. Get what brings you joy. Your decision in this instance will not be a logical one...and that is OK. I am considering the Ruger RPR myself, or maybe the Remington 700 Tactical Chassis model. It may be my last hurrah as well.

Last edited:
Well after a few months lets see what the people say. Im not that old and looking at the same thing. Iv shot big bores quiet a bit in the past and now looking at jumping back in. The 300 PRC has been around for awhile now, Id like to know what you think of it at this time compared to the 338 Lapua! Im looking at the Christensen Arms MPR in 338 Lapua or the 300 PRC. I already have a custom 6.5 CM and a Custom 22 BR. This would be for over 1200 yds out to 2K. I love the 338 but if I can get by with less recoil and cost why not.. I have multiple suppressors for either one. I also reload everything. Im really torn here, help!

Reactions: Behyot
Well after a few months lets see what the people say. Im not that old and looking at the same thing. Iv shot big bores quiet a bit in the past and now looking at jumping back in. The 300 PRC has been around for awhile now, Id like to know what you think of it at this time compared to the 338 Lapua! Im looking at the Christensen Arms MPR in 338 Lapua or the 300 PRC. I already have a custom 6.5 CM and a Custom 22 BR. This would be for over 1200 yds out to 2K. I love the 338 but if I can get by with less recoil and cost why not.. I have multiple suppressors for either one. I also reload everything. Im really torn here, help!

Look at post #32, he gives great info and a great summary. Good luck.

Reactions: country888
If you reload go with the 338LM if you want out of the box shoot factory ammo go with 300 prc. You can always tame the recoil by adding more weight. MDT Tac. Sells mlok weights. My 338 kicks more like my 308 with extra weight. If you want to stay 30 cal Norma mag prob better choice then 300 prc since you reload.

Reactions: country888
Wow! Didn't even know this thread was still going until I got an Alert that it had finally been moved to the correct forum.

I apologize that I didn't update sooner, so here goes. Last May I picked up an as new, RPR 338LM from another Hide member. Smokin deal, close enough to drive to to pick up even. Put an Athlon Ares Btr 4.5-27 on it. Good deals on the rifle and scope helped when I bought factory ammo to try initially and dies and powder and this and that. For a while I was starting to rethink the 338 decision.

But I've got to say I love this thing! Kinda kicks my ass but it's still my favorite rifle. I bought 3 boxes of Hornady ammo and 2 boxes (10 rd ea) of S&B's to try in it at first, and since then I've reloaded the Hornady around 8 times so far. A lot of people don't like Hornady brass but I still haven't seen any signs of failure yet. I've trimmed them to length one time, no loose primer pockets yet, but I'm not loading hot either. Picked up some of the cheap no stamp Lapua brass that Midway offered so I've got that covered for a long time down the road. Haven't ever found any Retumbo to try, tried a couple others, and have found a good load with the new Ramshot LRP powder shooting the Hornady 285 ELDM's. Stretched it out to 1200 so far and that's probably as far as I'll be able to do. Oh well.

Thing kinds of beats me, but I honestly could shoot it all day. I've shot 40 rds at a sitting and feel I could do a lot more. But, then I do the math and figure that's enough money spent for the day! But the price keeps going down with every reloading I get with the Horn brass. I do shoot better with earplugs inside of muffs because that tank brake is LOUD. Was paying too much attention to my chrono, data, averages, and such and left my ear plugs out one time, and touched off a rd with no hearing protection. About knocked me off the bench, thought the rifle blew up. I'll NEVER forget again! I've also got a suppressor coming (some day in the far future) so that will help some.

I got the 338 instead of the 300PRC and honestly I've never looked back. I'm having a ball with the rifle and I'm really glad I went this way. I can scratch "a big dog caliber" off my bucket list.

If you reload go with the 338LM if you want out of the box shoot factory ammo go with 300 prc. You can always tame the recoil by adding more weight. MDT Tac. Sells mlok weights. My 338 kicks more like my 308 with extra weight. If you want to stay 30 cal Norma mag prob better choice then 300 prc since you reload.
Thanks

You know about the range in Pawnee National grassland in NE Colorado right? Maybe not to far of a drive for you.

coyotewillie look into Terminator brakes. Makes my 338 LM AI recoil like a 308 win.

I love my Lapua! Its one of my favorite guns to shoot honestly. With that being said I am also considering a 300 PRC build for a elk rifle. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I bought my 338 just because and don't regret it one bit.

338 is thors hammer on elk. My light 338 LM AI is on a Defiance w Proof barrel, Manner Elite CF. Slings 285 ELD at 3000 Fps from a 24 inch mag fed.

BCX..It's just the older I get the more recoil sensitive I become too. With that big ass tank brake it really doesn't kick bad at all. But, that SOB is LOUD. That probably gets me more than anything, so I've gone to wearing ear plugs with muffs.