• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC Rifle

aroddc3

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 9, 2019
    Hi Everyone,

I am looking into building a 300 PRC that can be light enough to take on a hunt (not a lot of hiking, just setup somewhere and glass) but that I can make heavy enough to shoot at the range.

I am pretty set on getting an XLR chassis. I'm aware I can swap out the stock and barrel to really help with weight, so I have thought of a magnesium XLR chassis and a proof barrel paired with a switch lug action so that I can change from the lightweight hunting rifle to the range rifle easily.

The issue is $...to do this would be pretty costly.

I also am not sure how accurate the switch lug systems really are. I know AI's are renown for their accuracy, but I'm curious about the cheaper options such as pairing a Defiance Tenacity with a WTO switch lug. I know Alamo uses these so it ought to be relatively accurate.

If I were to go this route, I would do the following:

- unchanging heart of the rifle:
    Defiance Tenacity LA
    WTO switch lug
    Triggertech trigger

- hunting configuration:
    Proof CF barrel
    XLR magnesium chassis or other lightweight stock

- range configuration:
    Bartlein Heavy Varmint steel barrel
    XLR Element 3.0 or Envy Pro

Total is probably $5-6.5K.

......OR........

Should I just get a Bergara LRP 2.0 (2020 or later) which already comes with a heavier barrel contour (medium palma, I think) and an XLR element 3.0. Previous version of the LRP had an older XLR chassis.

Then get a WTO switch lug for that and plan to do the same barrel and chassis swap for changing to hunting rigs.

Bergara is about $2K. Plus extras for hunting configuration.

The other question is what twist rate should I go for? Bergara also sells a barreled action for 300 PRC (currently on backorder with Brownell's) that uses 1:8 while the LRP 2.0 is 1:9 and the custom rifle could be whateverI choose.

Would love to hear y'all's thoughts - thanks!

Some links as well:

Reactions: The D
    Provided there’s no weird manufacturers defect with whatever switch-barrel system you choose(pretty rare but I’m just mentioning the possibility) and it’s assembled properly, there’s no accuracy loss compared to regular barrels.

But that’s also sort of moot, the tenacity has shouldered barrels available from different makers. They’re machined well enough to not need measurements taken by a ‘smith.

Going either route will also enable you to switch cartridges with just a barrel swap. So you could hunt deer/pronghorn with some sort of .25 or 6.5mm caliber then swap barrels to a .30 or 7mm caliber to hunt elk and then swap again to something else for target shooting if you so desire.

Another chassis/stock option would be to find something you like that has available weight kits. Then you only need to add/remove weights accord to what you need it to do

Reactions: aroddc3
    Everyone else must be asleep, I’m definitely not the most authoritative voice here

The Bergara is a good choice but the bolt nose is coned so re-barreling will require a trip to a smith, definitely won’t be as easy as a tenacity

I would narrow it down to one chassis or stock and simply swap out between CF and Heavy target barrels. Doesn't Bartlien do CF barrels now? I would have them spin up one of each. Or even have Proof do both.

I would not do barrel swaps on the Bergara.

At that point I would build/buy two rifles each with a specific purpose.

I have. I’m confident it’ll come down eventually and I’ll be reloading for it so I’m ok with dealing with the higher price for now.

If I went the 2 rifle route, would you go custom or look for quality factory rifles?

Just my 2 cents but since you asked - I’d buy a Bighorn TL3 (or origin if you’re trying to save some cash) or another action with guaranteed headspace. Then I’d buy your XLR magnesium and buy prefit barrels. 1 carbon 24” Hunter and a steel 26 or 28” heavy barrel. Just by swapping barrels you could easily go from a 12lb Hunter to a 16lb range gun. If you wanted more weight on the heavy side just get an M-lok weight kit from MDT. This would be 1) easy to do barrel swaps at home in seconds. 2) reduce cost by using 1 chassis and no gunsmith fees.

The 300-PRC choice was easy for me ... I just got the barrel kit for my Barrett MRAD. Been tweaking the perfect load for that for a few months now. It's a harder decision if you have to buy the whole rifle ... there are some great choices out there (along with big availability issues).

I run a defiance tenacity and a proof carbon/bartlein heavy on my 300 PRC. Trigger tech trigger but a KRG chassis. In hunting configuration with a mk5hd 3-18 it’s pretty damn light even with a sendero carbon 24”. I for a while I was changing barrels of felt like every other week on a barrel vice with an action wrench and a torque wrench using go/no go gauges.

I’m not here to dissuade you from using the switch lug because I have zero experience with them, but torquing on prefit barrels is really not a big deal, in my case it was two action screws, the scope, and then the barrel. Because any barrel change is going to require an adjustment on zero, taking off the scope didn’t really bother me. All told it was 30 minutes. My poi changes slightly with every barrel change but my load between barrels is identical (using different brass) and they both retain the same very high level of accuracy.

So with the pre-fit barrels do you basically just screw it right into the action and torque it to specs? And will that be as accurate as a gunsmith cutting a barrel blank to the action?

So with the pre-fit barrels do you basically just screw it right into the action and torque it to specs? And will that be as accurate as a gunsmith cutting a barrel blank to the action?
    That’s correct. I put 75ft/lb on mine and I’m done. I would venture to guess that a majority of people running custom actions are buying pre-fits. That’s really the number one selling point of a custom action, at least for me anyways. If you’ve got a quality action, a nice shoulder, and proper headspace, the rest is on the barrel. I bought my proof prefit from Altus on Wednesday, had it screwed on by Saturday, and was shooting ragged holes the following week. Let the gunsmiths do their thing before you get your parts.

So a pre-fit proof Barrel for a Defiance will fit just as well as if you gave the action and barrel going to a gunsmith and said cut the barrel for the action?

So a pre-fit proof Barrel for a Defiance will fit just as well as if you gave the action and barrel going to a gunsmith and said cut the barrel for the action?
    Yeah because if you gave your action to a smith and had it reamed to 300 PRC spec, you’d end up with a prefit barrel that I could use.

Last edited:
    Big up for West Texas Ordinance. I have two Tikka actions with Switchlugs.

I, like you, wanted one do-it-all rifle. After considering the ammo, time, and possible mechanical abuse of constantly changing the configurations, I went with two identical actions. I bought two tikka rifles, one standard bolt and one magnum bolt. I have a hunting rifle and precision rifle that can be used with any caliber......

Any prefit will work after it is turned to fit the Switchlug. Screw in the barrel to hand tight and torque the switchlug (get fix-it-sticks).

I have one caliber that is the “zero” for the rifle. After changing barrels, they shoot within 3/4 of previous dope.

there is a few light guns in 300 prc in my opinion you could look at that shoot awesome

Seekins havok 300prc
    fierce 300prc

I have a bighorn 300 prc with proof and ag carbon stock in my opinion its heavy. But I don't care about heavy.

if you go light look into a titanium action get that little extra. OREGON MOUNTAIN RIFLE
    makes a barreled action with carbon fiber.
    i run a few of there barrels there nice