• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC Rifles/Actions and barrels?

Fletcher12014

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2019
I am looking at starting a ELR rifle and thinking about using the “new” 300 PRC however I can’t seem to find info on where to get a rifle, action, or even the proper barrel to use for it. Can someone please help me out?

The two simplest options are:

A. Buy an AXMC rifle either in .300WM or buy the .338LM, then buy the .300WM Bolt shroud
Then order a .300 PRC barrel from Dave Tooley or pretty much anyone else that makes AXMC barrel.

B. Call up your preferred rifle builder and ask them to build you one (Assuming they can build a .300WM rifle, it's a matter of having the .300 PRC reamer instead & making sure the mags / bottom metal / action they are using is a bit extra long.

Pretty much anyone can build one, they are similar to the .300 WM rifles, except a different reamer for the barrel & then you want to be able to load rounds with a longer overall length that the .300WM so you'll want to pay attention to the magazines / bottom metal.

The two simplest options are:

A. Buy an AXMC rifle either in .300WM or buy the .338LM, then buy the .300WM Bolt shroud
Then order a .300 PRC barrel from Dave Tooley or pretty much anyone else that makes AXMC barrel.

B. Call up your preferred rifle builder and ask them to build you one (Assuming they can build a .300WM rifle, it's a matter of having the .300 PRC reamer instead & making sure the mags / bottom metal / action they are using is a bit extra long.

Pretty much anyone can build one, they are similar to the .300 WM rifles, except a different reamer for the barrel & then you want to be able to load rounds with a longer overall length that the .300WM so you'll want to pay attention to the magazines / bottom metal.
Thanks this is very helpful I don’t know a lot about custom rifle sizes I’m only familiar with normal round buy and shoot like 308 etc

Maybe give Chad at LRI a call. He built a 300PRC for me that should arrive next week. He was very helpful in helping me nail down build options on twist, barrel counter, etc. Quick turnaround too.

Reactions: Fletcher12014
You can buy a 700 receiver and a 30 caliber barrel blank and have your gunsmith of choice ream it for 300 PRC.
The stock or chassis is whatever you prefer as is the trigger.
If you have more cash laying around you can pick one of the many custom actions to replace the 700.

Reactions: Fletcher12014
You also have factory options in the AXMC, MRAD, Christensen, and Bergara. I'm sure others will soon make available as well.

Any one know if Dave does prefit shouldered barrels for Bighorn TL3s?

Is Terry doing any work for the general public again? Be happy to go that route if he is:)

Has been, but no one offs. Just email saying which caliber you want and you're on his wait list. At least that's what I did for my upcoming 6.5x47.

Thanks. Any idea if he does prefit barrel work for any of the actions?

Thanks Dave, I lined up a prefit for this one already. My barrel is in the care of UPS at the moment. I'll get a hold of you for another barrel at some point. This one will be for a 300 PRC, I believe you know a bit about those:)