• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300 PRC vs .338 LM for 1500-2500 yards

Roamin, you don't need to convince me on the PRC - I already put my money where my mouth is. But A-Tips to factory 338LM is apples and oranges since you have to handload A-Tips. In my AX, the factory 338 barrel is 27" and my PRC is 30" and the two were within a couple of mils at 2400 yards (factory Berger 300s in the 338 and factory 225s in the PRC). The big difference to me is that the recoil on the PRC is mellow and it's easy to stay on target, which is not to say the 338 is all that bad, but there is a difference. Part of that could be that the PRC has a Area 419 Sidewinder and the 338 is AI factory. It will be interesting to try the 338 A-Tips.

This turned from a nice discussion to a look at my pee pee contest.

What?...we can't dance around nakid pointing to our huge junk? That's the only reason I built a 300PRC aka... 300 Peepee Radius Contest.

I was going to dance in front of all the 6.5 and 308 guys...now I gotta play in the 338lm pond? Pfft...might as well sell my gun :)

Now...back to the discussion....

My 300PRC busted its 2500yd cherry this week. However, I don't feel this is where it shines. Maybe it's me....maybe it's the cartridge...but for 1000 to 2000 yards...give me the 300PRC.....for 2000 to 2500 yards...give me 338LM....for 2500+....give me something else.

So...for me personally...I only see a small window where I would prefer the 338LM over other alternatives for the consistency/cost ratio.

My next build will be something along the lines of a 375 or 416....that I'll research while my bank account builds over the next 6-9 months....so...If I go with one of those...I don't see a need for the 338LM in my line up.

My next build will be something along the lines of a 375 or 416....that I'll research while my bank account builds over the next 6-9 months....so...If I go with one of those...I don't see a need for the 338LM in my line up.

Funny, that's what I was thinking of doing too. A long way out for me, though.

Roamin,

The 250gr. would be the one to compare to the 300gr.

Why?

Sectional density and b.c. would need to be in the same ballpark.

If you plan to shoot out of a Lapua length CIP magazine then shooting a 300 PRC or 300NM are your only logical choices. To shoot the high BC 338 bullets from the Lapua case to their max potential requires a COAL of over 4".

IMO-If you are serious about shooting out to 2500 yards then consider building a single feed version of the Defiance Deviant action in a 338 Lapua improved. Build it up like a F T/R platform on steroids with a good MB and forget the tactical cool look.

Something to consider is that there are several new 338 bullets coming out soon. We have the 285 Flatlines and a new Berger is coming. Also, Hornady announced a 300 A-tip and Badlands has a new ICBM too.

If you plan to shoot out of a Lapua length CIP magazine then shooting a 300 PRC or 300NM are your only logical choices. To shoot the high BC 338 bullets from the Lapua case to their max potential requires a COAL of over 4".

IMO-If you are serious about shooting out to 2500 yards then consider building a single feed version of the Defiance Deviant action in a 338 Lapua improved. Build it up like a F T/R platform on steroids with a good MB and forget the tactical cool look.

Something to consider is that there are several new 338 bullets coming out soon. We have the 285 Flatlines and a new Berger is coming. Also, Hornady announced a 300 A-tip and Badlands has a new ICBM too.

I’m considering building a 338 or 375 now that I have occasional access to 2000+.

A simple single shot would be nice.

To shoot the high BC 338 bullets from the Lapua case to their max potential requires a COAL of over 4".

IMO-If you are serious about shooting out to 2500 yards then consider building a single feed version of the Defiance Deviant action in a 338 Lapua improved.

Single shot Lapua improved is exactly what I would do. FWIW, I just built a no holds barred single shot Lapua Improved on a Surgeon XL single shot action. My dummy round with a 300 Berger was 3.925, which put the bearing surface just above the neck shoulder junction. If you throat for the 285 Flatline at optimal COAL, you will be well over 4".

My accuracy loads with the Berger and a 30" barrel are sitting right around 3075 with RL33. Just a little perspective for those saying that the 300 PRC has better paper ballistics than a Lapua. If you maximize the performance of the Lapua case by improving and using optimal throat dimensions, powder, and barrel length, the PRC simply can't keep up. Granted, the Lapua will be a hell of a lot more expensive, but the performance difference is significant. The 285 Flatline pushing 3200 would be even more of a ballistics monster.

Single shot Lapua improved is exactly what I would do. FWIW, I just built a no holds barred single shot Lapua Improved on a Surgeon XL single shot action. My dummy round with a 300 Berger was 3.925, which put the bearing surface just above the neck shoulder junction. If you throat for the 285 Flatline at optimal COAL, you will be well over 4".

My accuracy loads with the Berger and a 30" barrel are sitting right around 3075 with RL33. Just a little perspective for those saying that the 300 PRC has better paper ballistics than a Lapua. If you maximize the performance of the Lapua case by improving and using optimal throat dimensions, powder, and barrel length, the PRC simply can't keep up. Granted, the Lapua will be a hell of a lot more expensive, but the performance difference is significant. The 285 Flatline pushing 3200 would be even more of a ballistics monster.
Surgeon 260 i think you will hit 3100-3150 FPS when that barrel speeds up. I hit 3100 w 285 ELD at CIP mag length 30 inch 1-9 twist w 60 rounds down the tube.... My barrel will speed up and its looking like spring time before i can get out to fine tune a load.

Reactions: surgeon260
Wish Hornady would HURRY up and post the BC on the 338 A-Tip..

Wish Hornady would HURRY up and post the BC on the 338 A-Tip..

Well...look at the following.

The G1 of the 225gr ELD-M is .777 and when we move up just 5gr to the 230gr...but in an A-Tip we get a .823 G1....and when we go to 250gr A-Tip we get .878 G1.

So... We have a 338 cal 285gr ELD-M at .829 G1...we can probably expect a jump to match the 250gr Atip with a 338 cal 290gr A-Tip to be somewhere around .880 G1....and a move to 300gr would probably put it around .930 G1...or somewhere close.

I'm calling that my low ball guess.

Reactions: BCX
What?...we can't dance around nakid pointing to our huge junk? That's the only reason I built a 300PRC aka... 300 Peepee Radius Contest.

I was going to dance in front of all the 6.5 and 308 guys...now I gotta play in the 338lm pond? Pfft...might as well sell my gun :)

Now...back to the discussion....

My 300PRC busted its 2500yd cherry this week. However, I don't feel this is where it shines. Maybe it's me....maybe it's the cartridge...but for 1000 to 2000 yards...give me the 300PRC.....for 2000 to 2500 yards...give me 338LM....for 2500+....give me something else.

So...for me personally...I only see a small window where I would prefer the 338LM over other alternatives for the consistency/cost ratio.

Good shooting. I shot the PRC to 2640 a few months ago and since bought a 375CT for that and longer distances. I think I was at 36 some mils of elevation. I agree the 2k and in, the PRC hammers and I will no longer shoot the PRC past 2200. I sold my 300NM once I got the PRC's so I do like them. Never shot a 338lm so no dog in that fight, but I feel the 300prc does well enough to fill the gap until the 375ct comes out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Warrior 45
I used to do this cerebral circle jerk stuff all the time when I was bored.

Fact is many of these cartridges have similar drops and deflections on the ballistic apps especially when you optimistically fudge the numbers in favor of your favorite.

Other fact is it’s damn hard to beat 338 LM with Lapua brass in the field and it’s more important to shoot A LOT in field conditions than to mental masturbate about the newest cartridge that “theoretically” will do this and that better than the time proven favorites

biggest part of the equation is the shooter